Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Has anyone had their clutch replaced?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone had their clutch replaced?

Has anyone had their clutch replaced? I'm trying to get an idea of when the clutch's start to go bad on the G35's. I know it depends on how the person drives the car, so it could be much sooner for some people but what would you say the average life is of the oem clutch. Haven't heard anything bad but then again I haven't gone looking for problems. appreciate you thoughts.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i had mine replaced but it wasnt bad they replaced my tranni inder wanantee so i had them do my clutch at like 47k and they said it hade liek 25%life left, and oem clutches go for about 60k before they need replaced.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Ok thanks, so I have so time unless I wear it out prematurely

Old 12-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snakes1021
i had mine replaced but it wasnt bad they replaced my tranni inder wanantee so i had them do my clutch at like 47k and they said it hade liek 25%life left, and oem clutches go for about 60k before they need replaced.
Don't mean to hijack, but why did you need to get your tranny replaced?

Old 12-15-2008, 04:50 PM
3rd gear syncro turned into liquid they said it was defective. and and when they replaced it they said it woudl take a while because thye had not yet remanufatured the tranni so they had to order one from j-pan. but i think it is the jdm version only becase the gears are i guess twisted just fells ackward but im used to it now at first i called the shaop 10 mins after i was driving cuz i couldnt get it in 6th but it was just much closer then it was b4.

anyway that was a real hassle they tried to tell me it wwas my clutch for a month i told them the clutch was fine, took the tech for a ride with the VDC off and said does it feel like the clutch is bad to you after i chirped tires in 1st -3rd so he said ill show you then he drove and was riding my clutch so bad, saying it was slipping while he had the pedal half way down so i cussed him out and made a complaint got a 2nd op from a tranni shop that said bad syncros, and they said that the shop i went to wasnt liscensed to work on infinities and they didnt knwo what they were talking about. so i went to anpother dealer who said guess what bad syncros. they said the tranni fluid looked like mercury, and they had to replace it free of charge of course. so i had themdo the clutch while they were in there. sorry for any spelling im typing sideways. at work.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Do you usually drive with the vdc off or on? I'm all for having traction control off...let the tires spins! whats better for the car? Does it even matter? I know in the snow and ice you should keep it on....but since we have a large community here I would like to know do most ppl keep the vdc on or off?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
depends... usually VDC comes in to save your life... but if you are driving @ the limit.. it can slow you down a whole lot...

Old 12-15-2008, 05:28 PM
dependas i know a few who have totaled there rides because they are used to driving with it on and then turn it off for some fun its liek a different car.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snakes1021
3rd gear syncro turned into liquid they said it was defective. and and when they replaced it they said it woudl take a while because thye had not yet remanufatured the tranni so they had to order one from j-pan. but i think it is the jdm version only becase the gears are i guess twisted just fells ackward but im used to it now at first i called the shaop 10 mins after i was driving cuz i couldnt get it in 6th but it was just much closer then it was b4.

anyway that was a real hassle they tried to tell me it wwas my clutch for a month i told them the clutch was fine, took the tech for a ride with the VDC off and said does it feel like the clutch is bad to you after i chirped tires in 1st -3rd so he said ill show you then he drove and was riding my clutch so bad, saying it was slipping while he had the pedal half way down so i cussed him out and made a complaint got a 2nd op from a tranni shop that said bad syncros, and they said that the shop i went to wasnt liscensed to work on infinities and they didnt knwo what they were talking about. so i went to anpother dealer who said guess what bad syncros. they said the tranni fluid looked like mercury, and they had to replace it free of charge of course. so i had themdo the clutch while they were in there. sorry for any spelling im typing sideways. at work.
Wow--that first dealer sucked bad...Did you file a complaint? Well, mine's at 67k miles and still going strong. About 1 year and 15K miles ago, dealer told me I needed to replace the clutch because it was "worn". so I high-tailed out of there, never looked back, and still have the original clutch

Old 12-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
+127K still on first OEM clutch (knock on wood)

Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 PM
yup 1st dealer sucked CHARLES BARKER INFINITI in va beach. they also told me that the loud vibration and rumble coming from my front end evertime i turned right was my tires because there was that whole fethering issue, then i got my volks with brand new tired and noise was still there they said it was because the tired were not soft enough ended up they had to replace both front hubs.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
54k on mine no issues.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow vhtran that is amazing. Tell us;(A) how often do you change tranny fluid. (B) have you had to adjust your clutch pedal at all. and (C) agressive driver? Thanks on the input, and I have heard clutches last 60-100K, but have never personally had a bad clutch and have owned 4 manuals.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by vhtran
+127K still on first OEM clutch (knock on wood)
Wow! 127k, thats good to hear.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
Let me knock on wood again before I answer these:

A. Never change fluids beside engine oil and regular maintenance.
B. Never have my clutch adjust or anything.
C. Agressive:
a. Quarter mile once.
b. Down shift and shift at red line due to need for speed, plenty of times. Fastest I ever able to make was little over 145mph, and 120-140mph sometimes (not anymore). Need for speed to merge onto hwy, I always shift at 4-5K rpm. City would be a little over 3K rmp.

Bonus answer: Went Montreal few times, Boston - Miami (detour to Orlando, Tampa, Clear Water, Fort Lauderdale), New York city twice, Fox Wood and Mohegan Sun (didn't keep count and me no gambler), Connecticut few times. Of course, days in and days out work and I do have a winter car. 04 R1 is for nice summer's days.

Inconclusion, I love every bit of my car and enjoy every single mile that I put to the car beside those unknown bot holes.

Last edited by vhtran; 12-16-2008 at 03:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had their clutch replaced?