Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

accidentaly shifted gears from D to P while in motion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotdawwgman
fvck my life... you should be driving a Honda if you are gonna accidentally fvck with the tranny......
ROFLMAO!!! I agree !!! Damn Tranny problems.. I used to have an 02 AV6 and the tranny went bad while driving 80 on the freeway. i was thrown to 2nd gear and watched the engine blow from over-revving.. on an AUTOMATIC! @.@

Dude, get rid of your car, ASAP!!! or get it checked out. Tranny problems are not fun, and could lead to some very costly repairs.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i did that once no way i was going over 10mph and now my car HISSES/whirllls IDKF I still havent fixed and and now im stuck driving my acura 3.5rl which rides like a BMW! HELP .....FML

Old 09-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jackg35
Hi,

I have a G35 Sedan 04 automatic, and while driving yesterday, I accidentally shifted my gear from D to Park while the car was in motion. I was probably going around 20-30 MPH. I don't recall clearly if I heard any clicking sounds. Right now, I don't have any issues shifting gears. When I put in Park, it does not roll but have not yet tried parking on a hill to see if it will roll. I don't what I was thinking. Will my car transmission be OK? Do guys know what could have happened to my transmission? Do you guys think I need to get it checked out in case something did happen or will it be quite obvious? Just want to have peace of mind. Thanks
FYI. You're also ALWAYS suppose to put the parking brake on before putting the car in park. That way the weight of the car doesn't rest on the transmission and doesn't shock the drivetrain when you take it out of park if the car in on an incline. That's why if it is on an incline it's sometimes hard to take it out of park.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brakes for shizzel

Originally Posted by Andrei
FYI. You're also ALWAYS suppose to put the parking brake on before putting the car in park. That way the weight of the car doesn't rest on the transmission and doesn't shock the drivetrain when you take it out of park if the car in on an incline. That's why if it is on an incline it's sometimes hard to take it out of park.
funny thing about that is when you do the wheels still keep rolling lol (if your on a 20 degree incline) but yea park break first let the weight sit on the break then go to park gear best advice there

Old 09-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Ouch! I wont ask what you were doing, or with who for that to happen....but its good to know that theres no safety locking mechanism to prevent that from happening while the cars in motion

Old 09-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrei
yep, and dont let go of the brake pedal until your car is in park

1. depress brake pedal
2. P brake
3. put in park(5AT)/put in gear(6MT)
4. release brake pedal
5. TURN WHEELS IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION, my buddy lost his civic cuz apparently his parking brake was bad and his tranny musta been out. his car rolled down the hill and hit a tree :/

Turn wheels to the left if:
uphill, with curb
downhill, without curb

Turn wheels to the right if:
downhill, with curb
uphill without curb

now people should already know this, but apparenly some drivers here on driver try to park at 20 MPH . Ya kinda shouldnt have your license if you don't how to park lol now if theres no curb its up to the driver. the driving manuals will pretty much say turn it so its away from the flow of traffic(off the hill -_-). i turn mine so my car would slowly roll into the flow of traffic. I've seen cars rolling(maybe sliding?) into the middle of the road and I just drove around em, but I know they saved themselves from needing a new car or a paintjob.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
if the parking pall didn't engage, you should be o.k..

Old 10-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
I'd be more concerned about being a passenger in your car than the transmission... scary.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:27 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Ill add to the dead thread reading this

Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
My car must be wierd, but my dumbass friend was pissed at me right after i got my car and threw it in park going about 15mph. It was grinding and making wierd noises.
ß
Havnt noticed anything since, but boy, i havnt been so pissed. my arm honestly couldnt stop beating the living **** out of him. It was the wierdest thing ever. i was just enragged and couldnt stop hitting him lol He was covered in bruises after that incident.

How do you engaged shift lock?
Bruises bro I would have burried him some where

Old 10-02-2011, 03:24 AM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Trying to shift with an auto? From D to D1 or whatever the auto has. But went to park instead? LOL

Old 10-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
OMG I shift gears while moving all the time. Is my car ok?????????????????

PLEASE RESOND ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SHIFT11111!!!

Old 10-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I didn't even realize going from Drive to Park while moving (decently fast) was even possible....

Old 10-02-2011, 12:16 PM
All I know is you're a lucky ****

Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Ive actually done this before but on purpose. My blazer cut off while coming to a red light. Brakes werent stopping me so i threw it on psrk to avoid hitting the car in front me. It worked n i luckily didnt mess up the trans. I wasnt going very fast tho. Maybe 15 or under

Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by drinknother1
Ive actually done this before but on purpose. My blazer cut off while coming to a red light. Brakes werent stopping me so i threw it on psrk to avoid hitting the car in front me. It worked n i luckily didnt mess up the trans. I wasnt going very fast tho. Maybe 15 or under
lol hmm... $500 insurance deductible, or $2000+ for a new tranny

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: accidentaly shifted gears from D to P while in motion