Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

I Absolutely HATE this transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by express705
push the clutch in harder
Hah.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're doing it wrong.

lol, jk. These trannies blow.

You should try driving mine now with the 1350kg Twin Disc Carbonetic clutch and lightweight flywheel. My car sound like a damn medieval forge now, lol. BUT it drives and shifts just like I want it to. It's all gritty and raw and I LOVE IT!

Old 01-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Nogeeme, you seriously need to have your trans gone thru. If you have a
reliable tranny shop in your area have them check it out, it won't get better.
Apparently you didn't buy this car new so maybe it was the previous owners
fault the trans is worn, bottom line it needs to be fixed. See no
here just an opinion!
Gary

Old 01-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Go back to automatic

Old 01-28-2009, 02:17 PM
There is nothing wrong about what I said towards the end of my post. I feel that it applies to most forums, and the internet in general. No hard feelings, unless you want to interpret it that way yourself. Anyways...

Major thank-you to ALL of you that replied.

Xet - I'll try some other dealerships. I just feel like i'll get the same answer.
Dofu - I understand that some cars naturally feel better, but I'm not sure whether or not the G35's V6 matters in that sense. But I agree that this obviously is a problem that will not go away with time, and yes it does get worse almost every day.
dgg356289 - Your desc. of 5th gear pretty much sums up my 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. It's pretty much unbearable at this point.
Gary C - This is EXACTLY what I had in mind. I thought maybe I could bring it to an independent shop, and if I couldn't get the rebuilder to look inside, at least have him drive it around to confirm what I think is a bad transmission. Then I thought with his opinion, I could take it to Infiniti to get it serviced. Problem is, i'm not sure if they'll accept it as proof.

Some of you asked whether or not I test drove it. Yes, I did. It didn't feel nearly as bad as when I test drove it, but there was a slight bit of notchiness. But that didn't matter at the time because the car had come with extended warranty.

Again, thanks for your replies everyone. I try and look past how it shifts, and no matter how hard I try to overlook it I can't. I won't be trading this in for any other car, unless every service dept refuses to warranty this. I'll try hard to keep this car because yea it's worth it.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by nogeeme
Some of you asked whether or not I test drove it. Yes, I did. It didn't feel nearly as bad as when I test drove it, but there was a slight bit of notchiness. But that didn't matter at the time because the car had come with extended warranty.
I'm not sure what you meant by notchiness, but in my experience, the clutch on this car is tough to smooth out. It's not a true sports car, but it's performance orientated to say the least.

Of course, it seems to me, like everyone else is saying, that you need to fix the transmission. The syncros on mine are really good. At low revs, I can shift w/o the clutch (except for 5th gear, for some reason) and no grinding.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If the car drove relatively fine before you purchased, then maybe it is your driving technique that screwed up the synchros, which this is clearly the cause of your problems. Classic bad synchro case.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 to what everyone said so far. Also keep in mind that you are going to feel a lot more feedback from the shifter in this car as opposed to any honda (except S2K) because it is a rear wheel drive car, and the shifter actually sits on top of the tranny. +1 for riverside infiniti as long as you're under warranty, if not, it might be worth it to invest the 125 or so they ask to diagnose, but a lot of people have notchiness and issues so def get it checked out.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I drive an MT G, I cannot get it in 3rd for the life of me... I might as well not even think about racing when I drive an MT G cause I'll lose to a civic.. Well, not really a civic but you get the point.

It just feels like there is **** in the way and its extremely notchy to get in the gear. I can do the 1-2 shift as good as anyone else here.. Once its time for the 2-3 I'll have to slowly baby it in or else I'll miss it, and keep trying to get it in there or maybe go into 5th.. the 3-4 is alright but not as good as 1-2.

The G, and Z has the most annoying manual tranny I've ever driven... I love the way my buddies 5MT Evo 10 drives.. BEAUTIFUL transmission.

Oh, then when you grind 5th gear it feels like total crap and you're afraid you just hurt the car. Idk, I always push the clutch all the way in and it just feels like you need to jam it in 3rd.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:09 PM
sen7277 - Clutchless shifting! I can only dream about my car being that smooth.

redlude97 - I'm not going to rule out that my driving habits may cause this. A few friends have told me that I should drive harder so the engine smooths out, ie; taking it to redline every once in a while. ( I have no idea what they're talking about ). If you're talking about whether or not I can drive a manual car properly, that can't be possible. I baby this car day in and day out, making sure I NEVER slip the clutch, rev-match every downshift, smooth 1st gear engagements. 2nd gear is so annoying ridiculous that I sometimes double clutch 1st to 2nd.

Agent F - I personally like the feedback in the shifter. It's that I can literally feel the transmission trying to engage 2nd gear, almost like it's meshing together. I get this feeling first, and then the grind.

I've learned a few things in this thread:
-Ask about worn synchro's.
-Possibly take it to an independent mechanic.
-Definitely try other dealerships ( hopefully I won't get shot down like at Frontier )
-This forum is pretty touchy about their own cars. I don't blame you, I love this car too. Just not the transmission.

A few more ?'s:
-Anyone think that a leaking master/slave clutch cylinder might be the cause? I've been reading a few threads on my350z about this.
-Could a worn clutch be the issue?
-What happens if I get denied warranty work? Do I contact corporate?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by nogeeme
It's that I can literally feel the transmission trying to engage 2nd gear, almost like it's meshing together.
I think the hard 1-2 engagement is actually just one of the traits of our transmissions... that should be because of the gearing.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:14 PM
officerdbag - I feel funny when I retype that name. Anyways, your 5th gear problem is pretty much my 1st to 2nd problem. My 5th gear grinds from time to time as well, just not as much as my 2nd gear. That 2nd gear crunch is just SO annoying. Have you tried going in for warranty work on yours?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Absolutely HATE this transmission