Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Unknown problem possibly related to aftermarket clutch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2009 | 09:39 AM
|
Question Unknown problem possibly related to aftermarket clutch?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, Let me know if anyone can help. I had to replace my clutch about 4 months ago. The stock clutch was replaced with a racing clutch from a company called "BULLY CLUTCHES" http://www.bullyclutch.com/stage1.html . I live in canda so i got it from AUTOMOTIVE WAREHOUSE. I put the clutch in with with an original brand new fly wheel from Infiniti. A week after i put the clutch in i noticed that when i put the car in reverse (clutch pedal all the way down) the gear was grinding. Almost as if you stuck a pen in a ceiling fan. The problem arises intermittantly and its now doing the same thing but not as bad going from 1st to 2nd gear as well. Seeing that it just started happening after i replaced the clutch i was wondering if that had anything to do with it. Anyone?

I wouldnt mind replacing the clutch again with possibly a better brand. Just wanted to find out what it might be first. No sense in buying a new clutch if it isnt even the problem.Any suggestions/solutions/brands etc.

Old 03-27-2009 | 12:27 PM
i am having similar problems. my car has a z1 clutch and flywheel and when accelerating from low rpm (particulary in 1st, 2nd or 3rd and sometimes reverse) it makes a knocking noise which is fairly loud. it will usually clear up once its reached about 2500rpm. it also makes a knocking noise while at a stand still but if the clutch is engaged it goes away. my original thought was maybe its the throw out bearing?? any help??

**not trying to steal your thread DNG35 just having similar problems so i figured this would help us both out. and you bought your clutch from the warehouse so you must be from around niagara?? im from port colborne**

Old 03-27-2009 | 12:35 PM
Grinding like a pen in a ceiling fan sounds like your clutch isnt fully disengauging from the trans, maybe pedal adjustment?

Knocking (Chatter) with a lightweight flywheel at idle is normal, even my stock 6MT and all 6MT chatter at idle, it should go away when you put your foot on the clutch pedal.

Old 03-27-2009 | 12:46 PM
ya it goes away once the clutch is engaged. which is why i thought it might be the throw out bearing, but is it normal for it to chatter under low rpm? its pretty loud and embarassing

Old 03-27-2009 | 12:55 PM
|
Isnt the clutch hydraulic? or is that not what you mean by pedal adjustment. I dont really know much about that stuff so i think i dont understand. SCEP, you live in port colborne eh. i live in fonthill.

Old 03-27-2009 | 01:06 PM
just PM'd you DNG35

Old 03-31-2009 | 10:06 AM
|
Anyone else have any idea what it could be. I've heard pedal adjustment, cylinder adjustment etc.

Old 03-31-2009 | 11:12 AM
yes its normal any light flywheel will do it, i will post a video of new new jwt setup and review in the review section of this forum by thurs day.

Old 03-31-2009 | 05:48 PM
Hey guys I wanted make sure that everyone was on the same page relative to your issue and its subsequent solution. Clatter (which is commonly mislabled as chatter and often refered to as gear noise or gear lash) results from weaker tolerances in the transmission and occur when the clutch is released while in idle and occasionally during deceleration. This sound isn't the same as that which is originally described by the OP.

A grind during gear selection, especially when the car is standing still as it would be when selecting reverse is evidence of two possible issues. The first is a clutch that isn't releasing; the second is bad Synchro.

Before assuming the worst, and because I have seen these cars need pedal adjustment even when installing an OE clutch, would be to adjust the pedal allowing for a longer throw. This in turn causes the Master-cylinder to move more fluid and the slave to extend farther. It is likely that this will solve you issue. You can find a discription of the pedal adjustment in the CL.pdf portion of the Online Infiniti Service Manual. I can provide a link to this if needed or you can simply search for it online. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2009 | 09:47 PM
|
Yah please, if you could get me that link id appreciate it. i was going to bring my car in to a local dealer here who i know very well. I'll let them know of the possible solution and see what they can do.
Thanks alot.

Old 04-01-2009 | 10:22 AM
Any dealer should know how to adjust the pedal. It is actually quite easy. If you let them know that you installed a new clutch and that you think the pedal needs to be adjusted they should be good to go. Here are a few links that should provide you with a down-loadable version of the Manual. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!

http://carservicemanuals.blogspot.co...5-service.html

http://www.onlinefreeebooks.net/auto...v35u1-pdf.html

Old 04-01-2009 | 10:54 AM
|
Thanks Alot SPEC-01, i printed your advise, and i'm going to bring it in to have them look at it. As soon as i get results i'm going to post them. I really appreciate it.

Old 04-01-2009 | 11:04 AM
No problem at all...I am happy to oblige!

Old 04-12-2009 | 08:45 PM
well if only a couple gears grind when you shift (as in you dont move the clutch pedal yet after you press in the clutch pedal but you move the shift **** into the gear position it grinds in and it grinds before you let go of the clutch pedal) then i would say its your syncro gear. Thats what i have to say about that.im currently trying to find somewere online i can buy one. But i have the same problem with my 5th gear before my clutch pedal decided to make love to the floor (stick to the floor and have to manually pull it off it).It doesnt work at all.lol.i think its my throwout bearing but idk.im in the process of troubleshooting and seeing whatsup....great way to celebrate easter!!!with a broken car!!!

Old 04-21-2009 | 02:29 PM
|
K so no luck. I took it in and it wont do it for them. It wont grind in reverese or catch up going from 1st to 2nd. They said they beleive me that its doing it, but unless they see it they cant really make a judgment call. He said that they see and know about the adjuster nut on the back of the clutch pedal but the problem is there isnt actually a spec to adjust to from Infiniti. I guess what they were getting at is the fact that its sort of a "BLIND" adjustment. Theres not way on telling what or how far its adjusting. I dont know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unknown problem possibly related to aftermarket clutch?