Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch Problems:(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch Problems:(

Sorry this is long but i really need to explain.

Ok. I have already posted regarding this problem but just want to clarify a few things and run the options by everyone. Let me know.
When i had purchased my car i had noticed that the clutch was burnt out and it was time for a new one. I bought a new INFINITI flywheel but opted for an aftermarket clutch. Prior to replacing it the vehicle ran fine. The the clutch was burnt but the gears still shifted smoothly. I replace the clutch with a BULLY CLUTCH (made in canada) that isnt well known. Dont ask why, but it was probably the mistake. Anyways, after i get it installed i noticed that it was grinding going into reverse (with the pedal all the way down) and it was catching up in a few gears. It doesnt happen all the time but often enough. I had brought the car in a few times to a Nissan dealership where i live and also an INFINITI dealer close by. I told them i thought i had a problem with the transmission as that would be most likely what it looked like. I spoke with a service guy from Infiniti on the phone today (and this is where the ****ty clutch comes in) and he told me that occasionally they have lots of problems with aftermarket clutches not meshing well with the rest of the OEM parts in the motor. So my question is, what are the chances that its actually the transmission??? I find it interesting that the day i bring it there with all the factory parts theres no problems ie. grinding/catching. But when i put this aftermarket clutch in, there is. It doesnt really make sense how it could be the transmission. So my point is i dont really feel like taking it in, have them drop the tranny, check the clutch all that **** just to pay an 800 dollar bill for nothing. I wanted to buy the genuine Infiniti clutch back and install it. I figure if their gonna take my tranny apart they might as well replace the clutch with an OEM clutch (which i feel will most likely solve this whole thing). Just needed some advice. I just figure its most likely a malfunction with the Aftermarket clutch, not the tranny.
PLEASE HELP. What do you guys think????

Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
It is most likely the clutch. I would buy an OEM or Exedy clutch and replace it b4 I shell out for a new transmission. Did you check the transmission fluid?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 AM
yah it got changed already. Like 5 months ago. It just didnt make sense to me how it could be a tranmission problem, even though the syptoms would kinda lean that way. Its just too coincidental. Put a new clutch in, problems....

Old 04-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Anybody else think the same thing??

Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm thinking about buying an OEM clutch today just wanted to see if anyone else had an opinion.. anyone???

Old 04-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
It is most likely the clutch. I would buy an OEM or Exedy clutch and replace it b4 I shell out for a new transmission. Did you check the transmission fluid?
Agreed. Get yourself a Exedy OEM pressure plate and clutch disc. Take it to a good shop that specializes in transmissions. You don't want to put in a new clutch and then find out its the tranny. Get it diagnosed on the spot.