Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Automatic Transmission: Drain & Refill vs Flush

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so Im at 62k right now on my 05 5at coupe. i dont know if the previous owner did any of the required maintainence. anyway, it looks like the best thing to do is a drain and refill so i will go that route. since i race a little here and there and i am a spirited driver, what fluid would be best?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:33 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Stick with Nissan Matic S. It's a proven fluid recommended by the dealer and works well with our transmissions.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
+1

Matic-S is a big improvement over the Matic-J in pretty much every way.
Its expensive, but if you buy it in bulk you can get a pretty decent discount.

Local dealer sold it to me for $9/quart.

You can find deals online too. Ebay is $45 + $8.95 for 6 quarts, $90+$15.95 for 12 quarts. Not bad at all.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:02 AM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by pwebb
pressurize the system? our transmission flush machine (B+G) uses internal transmission pressure - the car has to be running to flush the system - in order for it to work. this does not add pressure, this only uses available pressure made by the transmission oil pump. do you even realize that normal transmission pressures are anywhere from 60 to as high as 280 PSI?

I've been doing transmission flushes for a long time. no transmission issues have come back.

more harm than good? prove it.

also, if you have "broken off clutch material" inside your transmission, something has gone horribly wrong. if the clutches are wearing normally, you will see the fluid turn brown. there wont be any chunks as you have implied.

plus drain and fill wont be as effective at removing all the particles caused by normal wear that might be sitting at the bottom of the pan, or in the valve body. a full flush will remove most of those harmful deposits far better than any drain and fill will be able to do.
what about using an in-line transmission oil filter like the Magnefine to remove any gunk circulating? I've been doing this for quite some time and no complaints.

Automatic Transmission: Drain & Refill vs Flush-filter.jpg

Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Is there a filter that can be changed? Looking to help out a friend. Also, if the pan is dropped, is the gasket reusable?

Old 06-27-2010, 11:01 PM
looking on doing a drain n fill is there a video i can see or to find out what tools i need? i know where to drain but need to see where i fill.. thx...

Old 06-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
fill tube is passenger side behind engine

Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by bythabay
what about using an in-line transmission oil filter like the Magnefine to remove any gunk circulating? I've been doing this for quite some time and no complaints.

Attachment 118527
i think the magnefine is a pretty good idea.

i ran one fine.

however, on the second one, the shop that installed it didn't do it correctly and at fluid came out.

the infiniti dealership said it's against the warranty since it's an after-market item, even if it's just a filter.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:37 PM
for everyone who is recommending flush your transmission, what do you make of this article....

http://autotechrepair.suite101.com/article.cfm/040206

Old 07-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfpackdl90
for everyone who is recommending flush your transmission, what do you make of this article....

http://autotechrepair.suite101.com/article.cfm/040206
The Dangers Of Flushing...

Flush machines do what they say; they force high pressure cleaning solvents back through the engine and transmission and clean out some of the accumulated junk that has formed. Now engines have small passages and galleries through which oil or automatic transmission fluid flow and there are one-way valves that keep the fluids from backtracking for whatever reason. By using an aggressive cleaning procedure like flushing, large chunks of accumulated sludge are broken off and forced backwards through these galleries and valves and, more often than not, lodge tightly and block them. This cuts off the normal flow of the fluid and causes lack of lubrication in an engine and abnormal or no shifting in a transmission. The re

Who ever uses that type of machine is an idiot. The Machines Infiniti have and most good places use your trannys Pump.

no high pressure anything.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 PM
My local Nissan dealer quoted me $252 for a flush with a machine that IS NOT high pressure. The service manager seemed up on all the different ways of servicing our transmissions and said that this is what Nissan recommends.
He also said they would be using the "J" fluid, about 16 quarts.
I may go in this direction unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:00 PM
moe
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do early 03 Coupes have a tranny filter? Anyone know if the Nissan fluid has a rating , like GL4 or GL5?

Old 09-16-2010, 12:12 AM
I want to get the OLD ATF out! I talked to the tranny shop and they said "we can drop the pan and clean it out" I have heard from two dealers "DON'T DO THAT!!! You think I was going to muder someone..lol. I do not get the big deal about not cleaning the pan out?? There are two magnets with a lot of crap on them. Anyone know why it is such a sin to open the pan up?

Old 09-16-2010, 12:37 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
When i did my transgo shift kit last weekend we cleaned out the pan and the car feels great, no problems yet, .

Old 09-16-2010, 12:34 PM
flushing, isn't that in NY??

Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Who ever uses that type of machine is an idiot. The Machines Infiniti have and most good places use your trannys Pump.

no high pressure anything.
This article is very good, I think it should be followed. I am going to check with more transmission shops, and I have a friend that I will open a shop with if I get fat in the wallet, he is very very good and has done many trans for me in the past.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission: Drain & Refill vs Flush