Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Confused about the stock pumkin, can some1 help me out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Confused about the stock pumkin, can some1 help me out?

Hey guys wats up? im a little confused and thought some one can clear some things up for me. I did some search and found an answer but i need a better one i guess. I tried to find out the best "stock" vlsd that comes in the g35's and got confused, so i guess this is to all the g35 drifters out there:

The diff (not sure if its lsd, vlsd, or open) in my 03 6MT sedan SUX MAJOR ONES!!! can I replace the WHOLE pumkin to a better one from a g35 or 350z with out going to the nismo two way, cusco, kazz etc?

I read numerous of post that all of the 6MT sedans sport package, okay i got that, and that the sedan 6MT also come with the vlsd, great! I remember when i first got my sedan i did a few burnouts and yes both tires spun and left two marks, but when i clutch kick, it goes sideways like normal, holds it for like 2-3 sec and then opens... and i end up spinning out. no matter how hard i try it dose not stay locked for a long time, SUPER rarely it actually DOES stay locked and i get a decent drift, but that just sucks! and makes transfers pretty much impossible. So if my sedan comes with the same vlsd that comes in the coupe or 350z then i guess there is no point of me getting one right?.

Raining season is almost here and im planing on signing up to a few drift practices local. Its my DD so i dont want the "clunking" noise or spend $1k on a LSD just for a few weekend kicks

thanx for all the help guys!

BTW: please... PLEASE, dont post crap like "ur a moron for doing burnouts" or "our cars r not made for drifting buy a 240sx.." Im not drifting or doing burnouts in front of ur house, and yes, your car may not be made for drifting but im doing something that i like im not here to become the next drift king lol i just have a simple question that i hope someone can answer

again thanks for ur help guys

Last edited by 6spSEDANFTW!; 10-07-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I have an 03 6MT sedan as well. All the 03's have an open differential, it's not an LSD of any sort. The 04 sedans gained a VLSD.

If you want to install the 04 VLSD, I think you have to replace the whole thing, since the viscous LSD requires a different housing. Aftermarket options only require changing stuff inside the "pumpkin". The stock VLSD sucks, is only starts limiting slip after it starts happening. Quaife makes a Torsen differential that's much better, but it's expensive.

I researched these a while ago, but in the end, I did not get one. LSD's, by definition, limit wheel speed differences, so they have a negative effect on handling, the car will feel different when turning. I'm all about handling, so I left it as is. The open diff works great on the track for both acceleration and handling, the only thing it really sucks at is burnouts.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Oh, one more thing, if you want a diff specifically for burnouts, you want a clutch based LSD. These are noisy and chatter, but they're the only ones that will let you reliably lay down two strips of rubber. Torsen won't help if one wheel is slipping, and VLSD doesn't react quickly enough.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by marcinr
I have an 03 6MT sedan as well. All the 03's have an open differential, it's not an LSD of any sort. The 04 sedans gained a VLSD.

If you want to install the 04 VLSD, I think you have to replace the whole thing, since the viscous LSD requires a different housing. Aftermarket options only require changing stuff inside the "pumpkin". The stock VLSD sucks, is only starts limiting slip after it starts happening. Quaife makes a Torsen differential that's much better, but it's expensive.

I researched these a while ago, but in the end, I did not get one. LSD's, by definition, limit wheel speed differences, so they have a negative effect on handling, the car will feel different when turning. I'm all about handling, so I left it as is. The open diff works great on the track for both acceleration and handling, the only thing it really sucks at is burnouts.
Mines an 03 and I have VLSD.... And if yours is an 2003.5 and you're saying that 04 got the Vlsd that would mean you have it.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by 4DGS
Mines an 03 and I have VLSD.... And if yours is an 2003.5 and you're saying that 04 got the Vlsd that would mean you have it.
Now, this was years ago, so maybe my memory is faulty, but I remember that the 6MT sedan got the VLSD later than the 5AT. Is yours a 5AT?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Yes, 5at.

But I have heard many 2003 guys never got the VLSD, regardless of 6mt or 5at.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Moved to drivetrain section.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
As far as I knew the 03' sedans did not offer a VLSD. It wasn't until 03.5 or 04 that it came on the sedan.

As for what the OP is asking, the stock VLSD will not work well for drifting. It will open as soon as the fluid heats up inside. You will need to get a real LSD to get any real results.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Yes, 5at.

But I have heard many 2003 guys never got the VLSD, regardless of 6mt or 5at.
The US-spec 03.5 6MTs (that's the only time the 6MT was available) and ANY US-spec 5AT sedan from 03/04 does not have the VLSD. Maybe things are different with the Canadian cars.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by 6spSEDANFTW!
Hey guys wats up? im a little confused and thought some one can clear some things up for me. I did some search and found an answer but i need a better one i guess. I tried to find out the best "stock" vlsd that comes in the g35's and got confused, so i guess this is to all the g35 drifters out there:

The diff (not sure if its lsd, vlsd, or open) in my 03 6MT sedan SUX MAJOR ONES!!! can I replace the WHOLE pumkin to a better one from a g35 or 350z with out going to the nismo two way, cusco, kazz etc?

I read numerous of post that all of the 6MT sedans sport package, okay i got that, and that the sedan 6MT also come with the vlsd, great! I remember when i first got my sedan i did a few burnouts and yes both tires spun and left two marks, but when i clutch kick, it goes sideways like normal, holds it for like 2-3 sec and then opens... and i end up spinning out. no matter how hard i try it dose not stay locked for a long time, SUPER rarely it actually DOES stay locked and i get a decent drift, but that just sucks! and makes transfers pretty much impossible. So if my sedan comes with the same vlsd that comes in the coupe or 350z then i guess there is no point of me getting one right?.

Raining season is almost here and im planing on signing up to a few drift practices local. Its my DD so i dont want the "clunking" noise or spend $1k on a LSD just for a few weekend kicks

thanx for all the help guys!

BTW: please... PLEASE, dont post crap like "ur a moron for doing burnouts" or "our cars r not made for drifting buy a 240sx.." Im not drifting or doing burnouts in front of ur house, and yes, your car may not be made for drifting but im doing something that i like im not here to become the next drift king lol i just have a simple question that i hope someone can answer

again thanks for ur help guys

Yes, the VLSD pumpkin from a G/Z will swap right in. It's pretty easy too. I plan on getting one to reduce some of the spinning I'm getting while autoxing. They're keep and easy to find on car-part.com. However, for what you're wanting to do, you'll kill the VLSD in no time. It's really not designed for prolonged operation. You need something like the Quaife LSD. But be prepared to pay out the nose for one. By the time you're done, you'll be looking about $2K. You've got to pay to play though if you want to be legit at drifting or getting really good at servicing VLSDs.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Yea I am starting to think the Canadian cars came with them

I've only ever heard you guys (from the states) saying they didn't have it as an option even when bought new.

Maybe that's what we get for not having the real Aero kit.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Yea I am starting to think the Canadian cars came with them

I've only ever heard you guys (from the states) saying they didn't have it as an option even when bought new.

Maybe that's what we get for not having the real Aero kit.

I vaguely remember something out the VLSD being very common on Canadian 03/04 G35s, auto or manual. I'd imagine it has something to do with higher snow amounts typically found in most Canadian provinces.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I vaguely remember something out the VLSD being very common on Canadian 03/04 G35s, auto or manual. I'd imagine it has something to do with higher snow amounts typically found in most Canadian provinces.
That's what I was thinking.

Makes me feel bad for all the guys in NY and MI that get more snow than us haha.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
It is also possible that the VLSD fluid is no longer good. Its a common problem with the stock viscous fluid. If you can burn 2 lines of tire tread on the pavement its LSD.

An easy way to check is to jack up the car and get the rear wheels off the ground. Put the transmission in neutral and make sure the hand brake is off. Spin one rear tire forward and if the other rear tire also spins forward you know you have LSD.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
^^ yep this what I did to make sure I had vlsd