Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Diff oil: 75w-90 or 75w-140?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Drewer
Yes. Manual says:

Oil grad and Viscosity:
Refer to MA-9, "RECOMMENDED FLUIDS
AND LUBRICANTS" .
Capacity:
R200, R200V
1.4 L (3 US pt, 2 - 1/2 lmp pt)
[/b]Drain plug and filler plug:
: 34.5 N·m (3.5 kg-m, 25 ft-lb)

I usually plan on two quarts (in case I spill), but it always starts spilling out the drain hole just past 1.5. I think what makes the difference is if you use a hand pump or try to cram the bottle up underneath. The drain hole is a pain to get to, and trying to "pour" into it will usually leave a bit of the quart bottle useless. . . if that makes any sense.

Cool thanks, my manual did not even have that listed in the Fluid capacity section :O

Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
iirc the gear oil is sold by the liter

Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
Thanks Willey

Drew and I have met before... he's a cool guy and I have no problem with him in general... I just don't respond well to derogatory posts directed at me.

If you notice, my jabs on this forum are 99% of the time responses to someone making a snide comment or derogatory post first... I rarely (if ever) make the first neg comment - but I definitely will respond to them.
No prob. Sometimes I wish I was living in SoCal still so I could be at all the events and get all the stuff that is in the marketplace without having to pay for shipping!! LOL

Guys guys!

Beer's on me!

But seriously, just to clear it up: I was curious (and assume others would have the same question) what the difference is between the two oils. No need to read into it any more. . .sorry if my ramble was confusing.

And definitely, I know the grey ghost has a very inquisitive owner. Not sure I'm sold on the vortex ring but I'm still lurking about reading up on things from time to time.
You're not sold on the vortex ring - you talking about the TB spacer? What does it take you to be sold on it? I have one. Guess the bandwagon approach isn't good enough? How about I make power all the way to redline.

Oh, and the 75w-140 would be ok but once it starts to heat up you'd probably feel sorta sluggish because of how thick it would get compared to the 90 weight.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
No prob. Sometimes I wish I was living in SoCal still so I could be at all the events and get all the stuff that is in the marketplace without having to pay for shipping!! LOL
I second that! Oh wait. . .I have a kid now. My car budget shrank drastically. LOL

You're not sold on the vortex ring - you talking about the TB spacer? What does it take you to be sold on it? I have one. Guess the bandwagon approach isn't good enough? How about I make power all the way to redline.
Yeah, bandwagon approach doesn't work. And the whole thing still doesn't make engineering sense to me (and like Mr. Motordyne, I'm also a "rocket scientist" albeit a "dumb" one.) But if it works for you. . .excellent. Some people swear adding an ignition booster and turbonator will add power too. Meh. ..on second thot a TB spacer is probably the only mod I could easily afford right now. *Sadness*

Oh, and the 75w-140 would be ok but once it starts to heat up you'd probably feel sorta sluggish because of how thick it would get compared to the 90 weight.
Which is what I read on bimmerforums. . .one guy said exactly that after trying it.

Oh. . .and best thing ever. . .I called the place I bought it at and asked if I could exchange them for -90. They were cool with it even though it was over a year ago that I bought it and I didn't have a receipt. So. . .no more 75w-140 for me, EVAR! LOL

Last edited by Drewer; 01-04-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
I have a 1 year old daughter now...changes everything. Not only is my wife not working now all the money seems to go towards her. My car budget gets neglected. haha

The throttle body spacer makes sense to me. In that 60* angle bend you know that air will slow down around the longer edge. The spacer redirects the air so that slow spots aren't developed.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
iirc the gear oil is sold by the liter
Amsoil is sold by the quart (946ml or 0.946 litres). In any case, you need two.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
The throttle body spacer makes sense to me. In that 60* angle bend you know that air will slow down around the longer edge. The spacer redirects the air so that slow spots aren't developed.
Don't you think an improvement like that would have shown up on Hydrazine's dyno test?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:16 PM
I called the place I bought it at and asked if I could exchange them for -90. They were cool with it even though it was over a year ago that I bought it and I didn't have a receipt. So. . .no more 75w-140 for me, EVAR! LOL
this is exactly what I would have done and the outcome hoped for.

Cool, it all worked out

Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I have a 1 year old daughter now...changes everything. Not only is my wife not working now all the money seems to go towards her. My car budget gets neglected. haha

no point in trying to convince of the TBS - as you probably know, I've gone in circles about it... buy I'm glad you concur (you are one of the more logical out here).

BTW, I don't know how you guys are able to pay for kid(s) and still have a G and mod it... I drove a beater for 12 years while paying for my kid... but I was much younger and didn't make as much money.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Amsoil is sold by the quart (946ml or 0.946 litres). In any case, you need two.
maybe I'm thinking of Mobile 1 (I think this is liter bottle) http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._75W-90LS.aspx... I remember trying to figure out how many bottles to get when I changed the first time... I went with Ams when the gears and diff were installed.

yes, Ams is quart - good looking out
http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-gear-oil

Old 01-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Redline is sold by the quart too.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Kids, FTW! Mine little dude just said "dada!" for the first time on Sunday.

I'm glad it works for you, but. . .I just don't agree that the "slow spots" will change. In order to affect the velocity through the bend, you have to physically reduce the angle of the bend itself, or change diameter of the piping, not just lengthen the intake pipe. And all the discussion I've read of "rifling" doesn't have any effect until the pipe length is a meter or so long. If the entire intake tube was rifled, that *might* increase swirling, but even that doesn't change the fact that the swirling air will still have to make a 60* bend. I'll go blow the dust off my Corky Bell "Supercharged" and see what it says in the intercooler piping section, since I think it discusses flow around bends.

In other vehicles, they come to the same conclusion though. Here's some research from jeepmagazine:

Jeep 4.0L Myth Busting - True Lies
4.0L Myth Busting
By Christian Hazel, Pete Trasborg

Over the years, Jeep's 4.0L engine underwent a few changes here and there, but nothing drastic. Despite the similarities, many still think of the '91-'95 XJs as the fastest six-cylinder-powered Jeeps in stock trim. For some reason, the '97-'01 XJs just don't feel as fast. Did they change the engine? Did OBD2 kill the 4.0L? Probably not, because if you drive a '91-'95 YJ or a '97-'06 TJ, there's no appreciable difference. The older XJs probably just feel faster because they have less sound deadening material and some other heavy components. At least we think that's the case. And with that, let the myth-spinning begin.

We've heard dozens of fish stories about how to make power with the venerable 4.0L Jeep engine, which parts are better, and which ones are wastes. Well, we've got around a half-million miles under our tires thanks to the trusty 4.0L Jeep inline-six. We've also got well over 100 dyno runs on these engines and have a good idea of what makes power, what improves drivability, and what wastes your money.

Jeep 4 Liter Engine Myth Busting Throttle Body Spacer
Throttle Body Spacer
Myth: Adding a throttle body spacer will increase the intake plenum volume for more air and a higher velocity intake charge. Also, rifling an aluminum spacer helps air flow into cylinder head with less turbulence for more power.
Our Thoughts: Depending on the application, a spacer works wonders on a carbureted or a TBI-injected engine in which the air/fuel mixture atomizes and flows through a wet manifold, but results are less drastic on a MPI engine in which only air flows through the intake.
Claimed Gains: 10-15hp
Actual Gains: 0-3hp
Notes: With our Red and Mileage Master projects, the largest power increase we've seen on the dyno was 1hp.

Even the Toyota Tundra guys drastically shun them:
http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...-body-spacers/

And, as I said. . .if Tony--the Flow Bench Master Guru--says they're not of any benefit, I give him the most weight in the VQ community. Bad enough for Tony, bad enough for me.

But, again, if you feel it works for you, and it makes you more power on the dyno, good.

Okay, so back on topic. My oil is all changed. I have 2 and a half more quarts of 75w-90 now. I'm happy.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
haha, ya I've heard that Tony doesn't think it will make power. Did he ever do any flow bench testing with one?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Tony was there observing the dyno test on Mike's car. Tony's conclusions aren't based on what he thinks. It's based on the dyno proof presented.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
no point in trying to convince of the TBS - as you probably know, I've gone in circles about it... buy I'm glad you concur (you are one of the more logical out here).

BTW, I don't know how you guys are able to pay for kid(s) and still have a G and mod it... I drove a beater for 12 years while paying for my kid... but I was much younger and didn't make as much money.
A lot of the modding to my car was before the baby showed up. Now I have to do things myself that don't cost a ton or where I can recoup some back by selling the OEM. Fortunately there isn't much left that I can do and I do ALL of the work on my car myself. Saves a lot of $$.

Kids, FTW! Mine little dude just said "dada!" for the first time on Sunday.

My little girl is almost 15 months. This morning she was saying "Dada where are you?" when she woke up. So much fun to watch them grow up.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Tony was there observing the dyno test on Mike's car. Tony's conclusions aren't based on what he thinks. It's based on the dyno proof presented.
But he never tested it on his car? Didnt you show gains with this on the dyno Mike?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diff oil: 75w-90 or 75w-140?