Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

My review the 3.5 VLSD swap into a 5AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:38 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
My review the 3.5 VLSD swap into a 5AT

Today we finally got a huge break in the weather (60 vs sub 40s) here in KC so I decided to take the day off and install my 3.5/VLSD carrier (aka pumpkin) that I've had for 6 weeks.

Install was pretty simple, but it is a bit time consuming. If you're going to tackle the job, make sure you have at least two decent jacks and a full set of sockets, extensions, breaker bar, torque wrench, various metric wrenches, and PB Blaster (rust eater). I'd also suggest fabbing up wood board to mount on a jack so that you can support/lower/raise the carrier. It also does a great job of getting the midpipe back in place. I used an 8X16X3/4 piece of board. Worked great. I should have made that part years ago.

I won't go into a bunch of detail about the install because there's already a DIY (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...pkin-swap.html). However, every DIY I've read fails to mention that you need to remove the driveshaft heat shield and driveshaft support bar (catches the driveshaft if the U-joint were to break). IMO, removal of the midpipe and swaybar are mandatory. I have read that one person did the swap without removing these parts, but I don't see how it's possible. Once the middy and sway bar are out, it's a very easy process. Just take your time. From start to finish, it took me 4 hours, but I also regreased my rear sway bar and diligently cleaned up rust nuts and bolts.

Normal driveability doesn't really feel all that different. However, when you hit it from a stop or roll, if definitely has some extra punch that wasn't there before. Overall, the drivetrain feels more responsive and the higher gears are more useable. The VLSD is pretty nice when hitting off-camber turns.

And yes, the cruise control still works, at least it did when I set it at my normal 75mph cruise speed. I haven't tried anything higher.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:31 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Glad you like it. I've been very happy with mine. I had a friend in the car recently that drives a 6MT and his comment was "Man this thing really pulls now".

Curious to see what the 3.7 would've done.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:49 AM

Never satisfied are we? Moditis is a beyotch...........

Old 03-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB

However, every DIY I've read fails to mention that you need to remove the driveshaft heat shield and driveshaft support bar (catches the driveshaft if the U-joint were to break).
Because coupes don't have those parts.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Because coupes don't have those parts.
Well sedan owners beware then

After a day of driving, my opinion is that this is the way the car should have come geared from the factory. The gears aren't overly short and that 1st to 2nd slight lag between ratios is gone. I'm surprised that a 6% difference in gearing could improve the feel this much. I am curious to see the impact to MPGs, but even then, it shouldn't be too significant.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:28 AM

I lost less than 1 MPG after I did the swap. Well worth the gain.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
now that you've come around to experience what many of us have been stating - maybe you should give the tbs a try... the driving experience that I have stated with tbs is as accurate as what I've said about the fd (which you are now experienced as well)...

Old 03-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If TBS means Throttle Body Spacer then I see no scientific reason for a TBS to work. Final Drives on the other hand have a mathimatical reason behind them.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:47 PM
the post want an invitation to open debate about the unit... it was in reference to DaveB's new found confirmation that the FD is a worthwhile mod (something he had questioned in the past)...

Nothing more than suggesting he give it try.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I think he was referring to the reasoning behind deciding on a mod.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
now that you've come around to experience what many of us have been stating - maybe you should give the tbs a try... the driving experience that I have stated with tbs is as accurate as what I've said about the fd (which you are now experienced as well)...
For the most part, I knew what this setup would feel like since I've run 24.5" tall DRs at the strip which gave the car a theoretical rear ratio of a ~3.6. I had never driven around town with the setup though. It drives very nicely so thanks for the convincing. I'm still perplexed about the CC issue so many have reported. Like others have pointed out, there must be an MPH that when exceeded, flakes out the CC. I've set my CC has high as an indicated 77mph and it still worked.

As for the TB spacer, I don't think I've ever really doubted that it can improve throttle response (that part makes sense) to a small degree, but I don't buy into the rifling of air.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:37 PM
^^^ too bad you wouldn't agree to try it (for ***** & giggles) when I had a spare to loan out...

if you have a chance to try one (the one I'm referring to) - give it a shot for the helluvit - only takes 15 min to install and uninstall... It would be good to have you give first hand thoughts (good or bad) like the FD.

-----------------------
Again - for the peanut gallery... this isn't a seed to spark a debate about the mod - so save it...

Old 03-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My CC worked for about 3 days after the install of my 3.7.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by KSWAY
My CC worked for about 3 days after the install of my 3.7.
3 days?

mine has worked for two years (or however long its been)...

Works to 90... it doesnt turn off at 90, just wont go past 90 - and wont engage past 90.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My review the 3.5 VLSD swap into a 5AT