Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Just had warranty replacement on tranny, so did clutch..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had warranty replacement on tranny, so did clutch..

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some input from everyone, I have an 06 g35 coupe 6mt that I just had my transmission replaced on due to a slight whine that the tech noticed at dealer. I went ahead and had them put a new clutch and flywheel in since I would only have to pay one hour labor with the tranny being pulled. Well, due to the price of the dual mass flywheel I opted to go with a clutchmaster stage 1 clutch(fx100) and fidanza flywheel. I got the car back a few days ago and I do have typical clutch chatter at idle but I also have a HORRIBLE rattle in all gears from 1-3k that is head turning loud. Im assuming its the flywheel as the noise goes away with the clutch in and its louder if you lug the engine at real low rpms. I guess I have to assume thats what the noise is from because since the clutch and flywheel are aftermarket the dealer wont touch it now that they have installed it. So I am looking at going through the labor all over again and having to buy a new flywheel as I cant deal with all this noise if that is indeed the problem. So, firstly, has anyone else had or have the fidanza flywheel on their g and if so did it sound this bad? Secondly, what flywheel would make the least noise besides the factory dual mass that costs an arm and leg and can't be resurfaced? Has anyone tried the nismo flywheel that has some weight to it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
imo the quietest single mass flywheel is the nismo (if you can find one..they don't make it anymore) then the ACT streetlite.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:44 PM
I have found a few on ebay and also at mynismo.com, I see where they discontinued the nismo clutch kit, but they seem to be still selling the flywheel. So do you have the nismo flywheel by chance? Minor noise then, I just wander how much different than stock it is..I dont mind some chatter at idle but I can't stand the loud rattling when driving..

Old 04-29-2010, 03:49 PM
or is there a decent dual mass thats cheaper than the factory?

Old 04-29-2010, 04:04 PM
the ones on ebay might be the last of the last. I have the nismo, but I haven't installed it yet. But from my research, it is the quietest single mass fly. I am not aware of alternative dual mass flys.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:22 PM
well all I know for sure is the fidanza with clutchmasters clutch is super loud..it makes people stare as Im coming down the road it is that loud. I feel like Im driving an 89 civic with loose muffler or something, just super loud clattering. Im going to take it to a local transmission shop then have them weigh in on whether they think its the flywheel or not making all the noise so that I dont buy another flywheel and it doesnt solve the problem, then I guess I will go with the nismo as it is alot heavier than most but still a bit lighter than stock and half the price. Anyone else want to weigh in on this? As I definitely dont want to have to do the clutch a third time lol.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:31 AM
what about the southbend flywheel? I hear alot of people mentioning that brand on the my350z site and they are supposedly claiming that there is basically no chatter with this one. Any g's running this flywheel? Also, what is it I keep hearing about the slave cylinders going bad?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
changing out the slave or master cylinders are usually a result of the sticking clutch pedal issue. Not too many people here run the southbend...mostly JWT and ACT.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 AM
well my car as we speak is at a local transmission shop here being looked at, its a place I trust and has always done me right so we will see what they say. Its so noisy that I wouldnt be surprised if they tell me something wasnt installed right or the tranny didnt have any fluid put in it when replaced, something like that. The dealership is of course not even admitting that their techs are human and could have made a mistake on the install so we will see what happens. All I know is it sounds like my car is going to literally rattle apart, not just clutch chatter. If tranny has to be dropped again and new clutch is ok I will probably go with nismo flywheel if I can find one

Old 04-30-2010, 11:24 AM
I think i agree with something being installed wrong. Clutch chatter is usually only at idle or during low rpm's...with more like a scraping/grinding sound. Yah, ****** the nismo's on ebay or mynismo as quick as you can...I think they will be almost impossible to find once those are gone.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:34 AM
it is a sound at idle and lower rpms like 1-3k rpms but its regardless of how much Im on throttle and its excessive, Its a metallic rattle and scraping but its loud, loud enough that people in my neighborhood stare as I drive through.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Ive had plenty of light weight flywheels, even the same fidanza on my s2000 and wasnt even a third of how loud this is.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have my original trans but I know I have a aftermarket cutch, have no clue about the flywheel. I have a lot of noise when luggin the engine and at slow RPMs. I just figured it was the transmission getting old. It has 133k on it. I always figured I would replace the transmission when my clutch goes since they are about $500 for a lower mileage one.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:44 PM
**update** just talked to transmission shop and they think the noise is inside the transmission. They seem to think they put a remanufactured transmission on my car at dealer and that the gear mesh isnt matching up right for some reason. but they think its transmission noise and they seem to think that the flywheel shouldnt make really any noise. Just what they told me.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:50 PM
So are you gonna take their diagnosis back to infiniti/nissan?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just had warranty replacement on tranny, so did clutch..