Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Valve body or TCM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valve body or TCM?

Hello:

2004 G35X - pulled car back in garage after my wife claimed trans felt like it was slipping. Went to start it - will not start - gear display is blank (Display under tach - usually says P - D - N). Advice given yesterday was that the TCM or valve body may be bad -

Looking for advice on diagnosing what is wrong with my drive line.

Are there error codes specific to the TCM or the valve body?
Is it possible to diagnose or eliminate which could be responsible with a code scanner?

Is the TCM in the transmission or is it on the inside of the car? Can I source this part and replace myself? If so where can I buy?

I am hoping it is not the valve body as that seems a little more complex - not sure I am up for digging into the transmission -

Just trying to decide if I want to get it towed in or if I can recover and do this myself.

Thanks for looking -
J

Old 09-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
TCM can be in the transmission (2004.5) or inside the cabin (2003-2004) under the passenger kick panel.

I HIGHLY doubt your TCM to be the problem.

Have you checked fluid level?

Transmissions errors won't stop the car from cranking, so you need to get your codes read to figure out what the engine is saying is the problem.

There are specific codes for engine and tranmission, including each solenoid in the valve body.

Might be doable yourself, but you will need to get an OBDII code reader and let us know what the computer is saying first.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:26 PM
I looked at the build tag - it reads 7/04 - so I am guessing the TCM is in the transmission. The thing I am wondering about is the park / neutral switch - I grabbed the service manual and looked at how to troubleshoot that - now I just need the time.

I'll borrow the code reader and see what the ECM sees is wrong.

Thanks - I am guessing a tow is in my future... just not sure if I want to go to the dealer or somewhere else.

Jeff

Old 11-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was this ever solved??? Sounds exactly like my problem!!

The codes I got back were U1000 and U1001. However I cleared them and they do not come back, but the car also wont start.

No drive letter (P,N,D,R) etc in the dash.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Did you look up the codes? Clearing codes won't fix your problem. If you cant get the vehicle to start it won't be a transmission related code UNLESS it can't determine if its in PARK or NEUTRAL.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:36 PM
SOLVED!

Something was wrong in the cabling between the TCM and .... I had her towed in and Infiniti fixed for about $380 -

It was blowing fuses as fast as you could replace them - would then jump into limp mode and then once shut down would not restart.

Thanks for your input all - restored my faith in the infiniti dealer as they did not try to sell me a new transmission.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:52 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
so what did infiniti replace and say was the problem?? sorry for bringing this back up

Old 01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
They never said - they replaced the fuse for the TCM and it was behaving. they asked about jump starts or anything unusual with the electrical system - I had nothing. The service advisor suggested changing a cable bundle between the TCU and the main computer - I do not know the part number as a best guess as he thought there may be a fray or a short in it - as the fuse was only $.30 and I paid the $90 for an hour of service and had it towed in I had them do it - all in it was $380 -

Check your fuses - but my guess is if the indicator is blank its electronic and related to the TCM. Good luck - may your fix be as cheap as mine.

I also thought I was loosing a wheel bearing, but it was just some cupping on the Potenza's I put on - rotated the tires and problem was solved. All cheap fixes so far....

Best,
Jeff

Old 01-06-2011, 12:38 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
thanks for the explanation....when I Start my car now AT CHECK Flashes at me over and over for about 10 seconds then goes off....I pull the car out to drive...put it into manumatic mode and can shift through third. Drive will only do gears 1-2-3....as soon as I switch to 4th my car goes into Limp mode pretty much with the last gear it worked in and stays there. I have to restart the car while driving in neutral and put it back into gear to refresh the memory. Whenever this happens my tiptronic dissappears and it doesnt see it when the car goes into limp mode. the even crappier part is that my car in 3rd will rev like its in neutral all the way to 4-5k rpms before it will start to engage in acceleration again...frustrating as all hell.

this has all happened after I swapped out my level10 VB upgrade to a stock VB 4 days ago. I had an infiniti tech perform the swap who is a friend and part of our local team. he is going to use a Consult II this weekend and recheck the connections on the stock VB to ensure that a loose wire isnt causing the problem. He is also going to update my TCM to ensure I have the latest firmware after the TSB's....if this doesnt fix the problem I have a whole tranny I can swap and he said we will just put a new tranny is. Currently the codes it was reading was something along the lines of the turbine sensor which is a part of the Torque Converter.....anyways Sunday I will have updates if I get everything squared away and can finally drive on a highway again....right now my baby sits in the garage not getting any love.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
so they replaced the harness between the tcm and ecm? the u1000 codes are can codes....communication error codes. only the dealer will be able to read those kinda codes.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Yeah I know only dealers can but I have connections to consults. I just called up my tech to find out. He is bringing it out ok Sunday when we check vb and make sure be plugged all the wires in. Does anyone need a tcm?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
lol the vb isnt all that bad to change out...just messy. yeah i hear ya bout the knowin a tech part.......i got plenty of people puttin me on speed dial as soon as they have a problem or question or want work done lol

Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by g35man04
Yeah I know only dealers can but I have connections to consults. I just called up my tech to find out. He is bringing it out ok Sunday when we check vb and make sure be plugged all the wires in. Does anyone need a tcm?
It sounds to me that either the new VB has/had a bad solenoid. Sounds like the cog that stops the 3rd gear and then puts into 4th (i cant remember the name since i don't work on trans very often) is out.

Although, the FSM states (and i've seen issues) that when swapping valve bodies/transmissions you must clear the EEPROM onboard so it can communicate properly with the TCM. EEPROMs cannot adjust values and therefore must be cleared. Upon first start up the TCM will write all necessary info to the EEPROM.

As for the manumatic going away - that is because when you shift from -4 the skag(?) isn't engaging 4th gear. When the transmission senses this it will disable the manumatic from working until you cycle the vehicle off. Do not shift into 4th gear and you should be able to drive yoru car in the meantime. However, I'd be willing to bet that internals are messed up inside the transmisison.

Originally Posted by the_coupe
lol the vb isnt all that bad to change out...just messy. yeah i hear ya bout the knowin a tech part.......i got plenty of people puttin me on speed dial as soon as they have a problem or question or want work done lol
+1. Valve Bodies bleed fluid that never comes off hands!

Last edited by Tollboothwilley; 01-06-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:03 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
It sounds to me that either the new VB has/had a bad solenoid. Sounds like the cog that stops the 3rd gear and then puts into 4th (i cant remember the name since i don't work on trans very often) is out.

Although, the FSM states (and i've seen issues) that when swapping valve bodies/transmissions you must clear the EEPROM onboard so it can communicate properly with the TCM. EEPROMs cannot adjust values and therefore must be cleared. Upon first start up the TCM will write all necessary info to the EEPROM.

the only way to clear that is from the consult correct?? I hope its not the VB I just installed..which means for me I may be installing my transmission that I picked up and the Level 10 back into the tranny I will be installing....I did get the complete tranny for 150 picked up local out of a running Z that blew his motor.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
yes...the CONSULT 2 is the only option to erase the EEPROM

why did you remove the VB in the first place? Have the VB EEPROM erased then see if the problems persist. It only takes like 2 min with the CONSULT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valve body or TCM?