Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

'03 G35 6MT is stuttering when taking off in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 G35 6MT is stuttering when taking off in 1st gear

Hey all,

I'm pretty new here. I just picked up my 2003 G35 6MT (46K miles) two weeks ago and today it started stuttering when taking off in 1st gear. It's not an engine stutter, but feels like a clutch engagement stutter. It only happens in 1st gear from a dead stop. Also, it just started happening the last time I drove it, so it hasn't been like this for days, so I don't know if it's gonna go away on it's own or what. Any ideas what's causing this if it doesn't go away?

Also, the only thing I've done to it since I got it was put on the revup airbox, which I will check to make sure everything is still good and tight, but other than that, I haven't done anything to it. I put the revup airbox on about a week ago and haven't noticed this stutter problem until earlier tonight, so I'm fairly certain I didn't mess up the MAF, but I guess that could be one thing to look at.

Anyway, I've been wanting this car for a few years now and finally pulled the trigger on this one because of the low miles and because it's basically in mint condition. It sucks that I'm already running into a problem.

Any ideas what to check?

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 820 Likes on 595 Posts
This also happens to me. But it happens more often when i have the a/c on. idk if that helps you or not. I would also want to know where the stuttering is coming from, and if its a problem or not.

The following users liked this post:
Jaygotboost (10-01-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by shane11
This also happens to me. But it happens more often when i have the a/c on. idk if that helps you or not. I would also want to know where the stuttering is coming from, and if its a problem or not.
That's interesting. I'm in Texas and it's still hot as hell here and I thought the same thing about the A/C. I had my A/C full blast when I noticed the stutter and turned it down to see if it was maybe pulling too much power and it did improve the stutter, but not completely.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Now that I think about it, at least in my case, I don't think the A/C has anything to do with it. The stutter is def a clutch engagement stuter and not from the engine. Having the A/C off or down would give a little more power to the engine, which would make the clutch stutter less noticeable, but that's not the problem. At least that's my extremely non-expert opinion.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Received 820 Likes on 595 Posts
like what rpm do you take off at? and how long do you ride the clutch out for? i start off at about 1500 to 2000 and i only feel the stuttering randomly with and w/o the a/c running. i dident think it was a problom seeing on how this is my first mt car and i thought it was just normal.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:18 PM
I'll have to pay attention to the RPMs next time I'm taking off, but that sounds about right to me. I probably don't rev that high, but not by much. I also don't ride the clutch much at all. I drove an Acura NSX for about 4 years and it had a much more sensitive clutch so I'm used to that. Either way, this "slipping" feel of the clutch is def not normal. Whatever it is, it's not normal and we both need help figuring out what is causing it.

Last edited by Jestered; 09-16-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:19 PM
This happened to me when I first picked up my G also. I figured out that I was just used to driving my old cars. Try adding more pressure to the clutch. It took me a while to adjust to the clutch on the g.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I drive a 5AT and I was told that if i run bigger power wires to my tranny(already planned on doing the big 3 cuzza my sub) then my car wouldnt jerk on and around shift points when the bass hits hard.

now IDK if 6MTs require power of if its all mechanical(doubt it) but maybe that might help? idk just my $.02