Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Gear Shift Indicator Went Blank - Car Starts & Drives

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Gear Shift Indicator Went Blank - Car Starts & Drives

About 5 days ago I had my transmission rebuilt - and everything has seemed fine since then. Smooth shifts, no noises at all. Yesterday however I noticed that shifting out of park into drive causes the car to jolt forward (something it used to do with the old tranny but did not when I first got it rebuild). I have not really pushed the car yet - and have been waiting to give the new tranny time to break in.

Last night I drove into my banks drivethru, put the car into neutral (AT) and noticed nothing lit up on the gear indicator on the dash. I went into drive, and it drove forward - but nothing lit up. Park, Reverse, Neutral - all led to no display on the gear indicator. I put her into park and turned the car off and on again - and everything was fine again. I drove away - got home (about 2-3 mintues drive literally) - parked the car and noticed when going from Drive into Reverse (thus passing Neutral) the gear indicator went blank for a second as it passed over Neutral - then lit up Reverse. I went back into Neutral - this time the delay was a bit longer but it did eventually display the N on the indicator.

I dropped her back off at the shop very early this morning and will see what they have to say - but I wanted to get some opinions on here on what you guys think the reason could be.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:56 PM
bump?

Old 10-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Did you get the problem corrected

Old 10-12-2011, 05:31 AM
It took a few more trips to the shop to finally settle this away. I will have videos and an explanation up later on today for anyone who might have a similar problem - although it seems not many do.

The following users liked this post:
Bolas (02-20-2020)
Old 10-25-2011, 02:47 PM
So, the video's are uploading and will be online later on tonight - at which point I will edit this post to include them. However what the issue actually was:

The trans temp sensor seemed to have went bad (why I really do not know as it was perfectly fine prior to the tranny rebuild) and as such when I would drive the car it wouldn't ever send a consistent signal to the ECU - as such the transmission thought it was hot one second, cold the next, warm the next, cold the next, etc. If the transmission fluid hasn't properly warmed up the car will lock you out of the top gears until it deems it safe - however with constantly changing signals this becomes a very hard task for it to do. When you go to over-take a car - give it some extra gas - it downshifts into 4th - then when it's time for it to upshift it gets told it's cold - it will continue to hold 4th gear - then suddenly it gets told it's warmed up so it upshifts - only to be told that now it's cold again and it really shouldn't be in 5th. At this point the tcm seems to just give up - and the gear indicator goes blank. The shifts become extremely rough - and each gear is held for much longer than it should be.

I had the shop swap the temp sensor - and everything was back to normal.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Glad everything works fine now.

The following users liked this post:
Metalp3n (10-26-2011)
Old 02-20-2020, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Original Owner
Originally Posted by Metalp3n
About 5 days ago I had my transmission rebuilt - and everything has seemed fine since then. Smooth shifts, no noises at all. Yesterday however I noticed that shifting out of park into drive causes the car to jolt forward (something it used to do with the old tranny but did not when I first got it rebuild). I have not really pushed the car yet - and have been waiting to give the new tranny time to break in.

Last night I drove into my banks drivethru, put the car into neutral (AT) and noticed nothing lit up on the gear indicator on the dash. I went into drive, and it drove forward - but nothing lit up. Park, Reverse, Neutral - all led to no display on the gear indicator. I put her into park and turned the car off and on again - and everything was fine again. I drove away - got home (about 2-3 mintues drive literally) - parked the car and noticed when going from Drive into Reverse (thus passing Neutral) the gear indicator went blank for a second as it passed over Neutral - then lit up Reverse. I went back into Neutral - this time the delay was a bit longer but it did eventually display the N on the indicator.

I dropped her back off at the shop very early this morning and will see what they have to say - but I wanted to get some opinions on here on what you guys think the reason could be.
------ Hello, Here because similar issue. But in addition to not seeing what gear you are on.... car does not even crank/start anymore. Thinking it may be some sensor which has it in "safe mode" to not start.

So did replacing the Temperature Sensor fix your issue? (Engine Temp sensor or Transmission Temp Sensor?)
Thank you

Old 02-20-2020, 06:36 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you can't see the gear and it won't crank that makes me suspect the park/neutral position switch on the side of the transmission.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:21 AM
2013 sonata GLS
Originally Posted by cleric670
If you can't see the gear and it won't crank that makes me suspect the park/neutral position switch on the side of the transmission.
This literally just happened. Car will not start now and gear display is blank. Any idea how to fix that switch??

Old 02-29-2020, 11:19 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
There's some troubleshooting steps in the FSM to make sure it's not a damaged harness or wiring, the switch itself is part of the valve body and not typically replaced by itself.

I would run through ALL the gears to see if anything lights up. Before you go digging into the transmission you should check EVERY SINGLE FUSE to make sure something didn't pop. There are 3 fuse locations, Fusible link, IPDM both in the battery compartment, Fuse Block - J/B in the cabin.

Make sure to disconnect the battery before working on any of the electrical system or you can cause bigger problems.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:39 PM
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe AT blk
just experienced this problem. old thread so I made a post about my experience, here's the link

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ml#post7187137

anyone end up finding the solution to this??