Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

2nd gear scratching. OUCH!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2nd gear scratching. OUCH!

Maybe it's me that is the problem, but when I romp on it and I want to get that 2nd gear scratch, I instead scratch the **** out of that 2nd gear. EEK! Its horrible too. Makes me cringe its so bad. On occasion it won't go into the gate either. Almost like a first gear lockout. This isn't all the time, but its been getting worse over time.

I may not have the clutch all the way in or I'm rushing it. But assuming I'm perfect, what else could be going on. 65k miles. I haven't done a gear oil change yet. I think I should.

Is its me or the tranny needing an oil change?

Also, its worth mentioning, when I'm in neutral and coasting at any speed, and I'm 100% sure the clutch is all the way in, going into any gear (I do rev match) I feel a knock in the shiftier. Its like it bounced real hard off the gear on the change. This is just when I'm relaxed and cruising and not romping on it. This doesn't happen often, but notice it when it does. Its worst in 1st gear when at a snails pace. I normally don't go into first when moving, but sometimes traffic is to slow to hit the minimum speed of 2nd.

Thanks.

Edit: I guess it helps to know my car.

'04 coupe