Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch suddenly slipping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Clutch suddenly slipping

I got my 2005 350z Enthusiast last December. One of the selling points for me was that the clutch was incredibly firm and felt brand new, it was grabby and the engagement was smooth. Everything was perfect until two days ago when I got into my car to leave work, (10 degrees outside, coldest yet), and the clutch started slipping. The clutch now feels much less precise, which it had no symptoms of any problems on my way to work that day.

Let's say I'm cruising 45mph in 6th gear. If I floor it, the RPM's jump up about 1.5k and then they fall back and the car accelerates as normal. This happens in all gears, but the lower the RPM is at when I hit the gas, the more it slips. What's confusing me is that I can still launch the car like normal, albeit a little slip, and go through the gears as normal, with minimal slip.

I know these are all symptoms of a bad clutch, but is it normal for the car to show zero symptoms when I park it, and then when I get back in the slip is present? My old clutch fluid was a murky brown, so I did the bleed method until the new fluid came out of the bleeder valve. This seemed to make the shifts smoother, but with any moderate level of throttle the clutch still slips and it seems to be progressively getting worse.

I am really hoping that there is just something dumb that I don't know going on that will be an easy fix. I will be taking the z up to Nissan tomorrow, and if it is the clutch, well, I guess it's JWT time

Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any update on this from OP or other's?

I have clutch issues too and even though I also think it's just a worn out clutch I too hope for a magic adj. or fix that will tighten the clutch back up.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same symptom as my daily drive scion XA. when you putting more gas, the rpm just shoot up and slip. replaced the clutch and the clutch looks balded in random spot. pretty sure replace the clutch will fix the issue.

i just replace the G35 clutch few weeks ago and although it does not slip, but it is nearly balded too. you can hardly see threads left in most of area. the car has 150k with original clutch btw

Old 04-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm having the same issues as we speak, made a thread in the general forum. My question is, if Im going to be doing this clutch work, what is the best aftermarket option in terms of performance?

Old 04-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Same thing happened in other ride a vr6 jetta. Had to replaced clutch because it was toast. Pretty sure you will need to replace it.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have these same symptoms, it started about a week ago. :/ No matter the rpm, if I give it moderate to heavy gas, it slips. So obviously TQ related vs HP delivery. I just hope I can last for a little while longer, because I want the JWT clutch & flywheel combo, but can't afford it at the moment.