Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Need to change transmission fluid..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Best Transmission Fluid For G35's?

So I'm pretty sure I need a transmission flush. I have an 05 6MT. Shifting into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd is pretty rough. I called infiniti and they said to use the stock fluid. They said anything else will do some damage. Ive done research and many people with the same problem I am going through said to have used GM Synchromesh and it supposedly does wonders but I'm not sure if it is safe for my G..
So I ask you guys. What is the best possible transmission fluid for my vehicle?

Thanks

Last edited by jdubin94; 09-13-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want the best then stick with OEM Nissan Matic J or S. It's tried and proven. There are numerous users who will tell you to only use this fluid in the AT.

As for me I use Castrol Import Multi Vehicle as its available for $5 a qt vs $9 a qt of OEM fluid. Im at 73k and never had an issue with the Castrol fluid.

I have never heard of using GM Synchomesh so I cannot comment on that.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:31 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I would only use matic if I was under warranty. I use castrol multi vehicle import, have 155k and no problems. No better or worse than matic. I would not do a flush, but a drain and fill. Do 3 with your next 3 oil changes. Your car is used to the wear materials in the current fluid and, if you take it all out at once, might cause the trans to slip and you would have to replace it.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have used Valvoline Max LIfe with excellent results. It says on the bottle it replaces Matic S. Drain 3 1/2 quarts from the pan and another 2 1/2 quarts pumped out of the radiator. (there is a video here if you search). Do this with each or every other oil change and you will replace most of the old stuff.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Matic J is the old fluid, Matic S is the newer fluid (that was made for the GTR)
I have heard good things of Synchromesh, but have never tried it.
Nissan specifically calls for their Matic fluid. I'll stick with that, worth not having to say "should I have put the matic S in there instead of ******?"
Do not do a flush, do a drain and refill, look for the video on infinitihelp
here is the video

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed...on_service.php

Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by vendwarfare
If you want the best then stick with OEM Nissan Matic J or S.
I would not say its the BEST but the most LOGICAL and SAFE option.

I'm a Castrol import vehicle ATF guy as well. Recently consider maxlife a try as well. Both are solid options. The trans will act a little different, the keyword here is DIFFERENT. Not bad or broken, it will be different for everyone and every car. I put maxlife in another car and the shift was smoother overall almost instantly. Plus its cheaper.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I would stay with OE fluids for the AT. How many miles has it been since it was changed? Nissan recommends not doing a flush, but there mechanics tell me they're wrong that a flush won't hurt anything. If I were having your issues I'd do a drain/fill now and during the next several oil changes, so all that old fluid will be replaced with new eventually....Gary

Old 09-13-2012, 04:26 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
If I were having your issues I'd do a drain/fill now and during the next several oil changes, so all that old fluid will be replaced with new eventually....Gary
I agree 100% on this. Someone might say its wasteful but this is what i believe is the best method. Plus you also dont shock the transmission with brand new fluid instantly.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
I agree 100% on this. Someone might say its wasteful but this is what i believe is the best method. Plus you also dont shock the transmission with brand new fluid instantly.
What is there to "shock"?

Brand new fluid is way better in protecting components then old fluid.

Not quite sure what you're trying to get at, could you please shed some light?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by 3maxima
I have used Valvoline Max LIfe with excellent results. It says on the bottle it replaces Matic S. Drain 3 1/2 quarts from the pan and another 2 1/2 quarts pumped out of the radiator. (there is a video here if you search). Do this with each or every other oil change and you will replace most of the old stuff.
Do you have an automatic or a standard? I looked it up and it says AT fluid

Old 09-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by G35now
What is there to "shock"?

Brand new fluid is way better in protecting components then old fluid.

Not quite sure what you're trying to get at, could you please shed some light?

Drain and refill always leaves over 60% contaminated ATF. Why not also apply it to brake fluid, coolant, PS, refrigerant, etc?

If you haven't changed out your transmission fluid for a long time then sludge and other crap builds up and sticks to the internal workings of your transmission. Then eventually your transmission gets used to all that sludge and uses it as grip.

If you were to flush out everything then you'll run into a few different problems. First is that.. if the people that flush it don't flush it correctly.. then they'll basically just be moving all the sludge, pieces of metal and etc to another area and the loss of all stuff in the flush won't give time for the transmission to adjust and it'll end up slipping. Then you'll need to get a new trans and that's no fun.

Even if the flush was done correctly.. the transmission won't have time to adjust to the mostly clean fluid because everything that it was using as "grip" before is gone and therefore it'll still be slipping and you'll have to get a new transmission.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Am I the only one that has noticed he drives a 6MT??

I have always used BG SyncroShift II and BG UltraGuard in my transmission and differential. Love these products and will never use anything else.

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...G+transmission

Old 09-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ was just about to say this.. you do NOT want to use ATF in a 6MT.. including Matic J/S.

--- this is what the FSM says ---

Manual transmission gear oil US- 3-1/8qt, imp- 2-1/2 qt, 2.9L
Genuine NISSAN Manual Transmission Fluid
(MTF), HQ Multi 75W-85 or API GL-4, Viscosity
SAE 75W-85 or 75W-90

Old 09-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by PAIXAO
Am I the only one that has noticed he drives a 6MT??

I have always used BG SyncroShift II and BG UltraGuard in my transmission and differential. Love these products and will never use anything else.

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...G+transmission
Sorry for the confusion. I forget to mention earlier that I had a 6MT.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:53 PM
But I went to a garage today and talked to someone who worked their. Not quite sure if he was an official mechanic or not but this is what happened. I told him my issue. I told him that shifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd wasnt very smooth and the shifter didn't slide right in like I feel it should. After taking it for a test drive and checking out my fluid, he said that there is nothing wrong with my clutch, synchros, T fluid, or gears. He said that this must be "normal" for our cars and changing the fluid wont do much.

I am not 100% sure if I believe him. So I ask you 6MT owners out there, do any of you experience what I do? Or does your shifter go into gear incredibly smoothly? Please let me know.

And thanks for the responses.

Last edited by jdubin94; 09-13-2012 at 07:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need to change transmission fluid..