Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Why is she doing this? Signs of needing a new clutch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had to replace mine 2 weeks ago and I got a clutch and flywheel for $775 and a clutch pivot ball for $30 and install here locally was $450. If you baby it you should be able to last a good 2 weeks before it gets close to pushing it too far.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting a new clutch soon. Help me out.

Okay. My clutch is slipping pretty badly now. I think with the next month, I need to get a new one. I have no idea what to get or where to get it from. I want a clutch that will give me good driveability as well as performance. But are those the two ends of the spectrum? You can either get a clutch designed for maximum smoothness with not so good performance or you can get a clutch designed for high power outputs which will result in unpleasant street driving. Right? As many of you may know, our clutches, in my own words, are very heavy and sensitive. It is very hard to get perfectly smooth shifts in lower gears. I don't understand why because I'm sure our clutches are designed for the street. Not the strip. I do know that there is an aftermarket clutch bracket by RJM performance specifically for G35's which supposedly makes shifting a lot smoother and quicker. I plan on installing that later.

However, I still want a clutch that allows me to shift smoothly. Right now, I haven't done any performance mods. However, I will in the near future. Nothing too serious. Exhaust, Intake, suspension, high flow cats etc. And for this reason, I feel as though I should get a decently performing clutch. I've heard the terms stage 1, 2, and 3 and I know that the more mods you have, the higher stage you should get but that's about it. How much am I looking to spend? I really hope no more than 1k.

I just did a little research and read, "A street disc combined with a high clamp load pressure plate (Max series) will hold good power once fully engaged. This makes the street disc great for road racing and normal driving with high power and also good for high speed freeway runs." Is this what I'm looking for? So just to sum what I said up, I want a clutch that will be comfortable and smooth for daily driving but will be able to hold good power when I floor it. Sorry for such a long post. Any help is appreciated .Thank you.

Last edited by jdubin94; 04-16-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 PM
bump

Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Need help with DIY Clutch change.

What's up guys. I have an 05 stock G.

It's come time to replace the clutch. I think I've made the decision to get a stage 1.

What are some good brands? Any thoughts on Competition Clutch? I don't want to spend more than $500 for the kit..

My next question is what equipment will I need to change the clutch on my car? (I'm not the one doing it. My buddy who's a mechanic is)

Any tips to keep in mind for the procedure would be much appreciated.

Also, for a while now, I've wanted to install the RJM performance clutch bracket. Any thoughts on that? Is it still worth installing now that I'm changing my clutch?

Thanks!

Last edited by jdubin94; 07-26-2013 at 01:10 PM.