Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Car loses all power while driving.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car loses all power while driving.

This is the second time this has happened and I have been searching but haven't found anything about this problem, only similar issues but not quite the same.

I will be driving and everything is working fine then I will stop at a red light and when it turns green i will push the throttle and absolutely nothing will happen. The car will still roll in drive cause it has slight power but its barely 1mph and no matter how I push the throttle it wont rev up whatsoever. After a few minutes of this all the lights will start to flicker and eventually shut off but the car will still be running. Even the windows have no power and I can't roll them up. I don't know if the car will actually die because I just pulled into a parking lot and shut it off but if I try to turn it back on it wont because the battery is dead.

This happened a few weeks ago and I attributed it to a bad alternator and replaced that, then charged my battery on a trickle charger, and since then everything has been fine until tonight.

If it helps I have an Optima red top battery so I know they like to be slow charged instead of jump started and I have a 220amp alternator now. The one before was a factory 110 amp.

I also have a dvd head unit that I just re did the wires on it a couple weeks ago so the video would work again, could this be a problem at all? Just seems weird that it starts doing this while running because the alternator should be powering everything instead of the battery.

Any help on this would be amazing. I'm getting a new G hopefully this weekend and my girlfriend is taking this one so I really want to get this fixed so she has a reliable car. Other than this I've never had any major issues except for little things like my starter fried once.

The following users liked this post:
dLč (09-23-2022)