Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Review: ACT Clutch and Streetlite Flywheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: ACT Clutch and Streetlite Flywheel

Hi guys,

This is my first thread on the site, and I wanted to give people a review of the ACT HDSS clutch kit and Streetlite Flywheel.

A bit of background first, I have an 04 G35 Coupe (Twilight blue/brembo), 90k miles.

I had this clutch installed a few weeks ago, and so far it has been extremely positive.

I read many reviews on here talking about very bad rattling noises, cement mixer at low rpm, etc, and to be completely honest with you guys my car now rattles less than before! I had what I would call moderate rattling with my old set up of an oem replaced clutch and stock flywheel. There is now absolutely no rattle noises at idle, before it was kind of annoying but not a huge deal, nut now it is just extremely quiet and stable at idle and low rpm.

Not too sure how come my car did not see the slight negative effects like many of you have.

Feel wise, the clutch is much stronger, and the shift quickness is night and day from previous set up. Seems to be better acceleration through all rpms. The clutch is by no means too much effort to press down, I do not notice my leg working any harder than before haha. It only took maybe 10 minutes to get adjusted to the new engagement point, and revving slightly higher than before off of stops to get going. I did not have any issues with stalling out easily, which I have read happened to others easily.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this clutch and am 100% happy with my purchase. I had it installed at local transmission shop. I would honestly consider getting the ProLite now just because I did not get any rattling or cement mixer with the streetlite so why not go a bit lighter I guess haha. I know my set up is still very recent, and I wish I had a longer term review for you guys, but hopefully this helps anyone out considering an aftermarket clutch replacement. The car rides like a dream now with this new clutch/flywheel combo along with my new Bilstein B8 shocks and Eibach pro kit, great upgrades over the stock setup.

I just have a quick question for any of you guys who have replaced the clutch on your g35s. After the new clutch was installed the shop recommended that I replace my master and slave cylinders due to this clutch being stronger, giving the potential for leaks from the master and slave. I have researched a lot and can not find anyone who says you need to replace these because of a stronger clutch, especially if they are not leaking now and nothing is wrong with them. So guys do you think that would really be necessary?

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, and thanks so much for taking the time to read through this. Cheers !

Old 05-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
I just have a quick question for any of you guys who have replaced the clutch on your g35s. After the new clutch was installed the shop recommended that I replace my master and slave cylinders due to this clutch being stronger, giving the potential for leaks from the master and slave. I have researched a lot and can not find anyone who says you need to replace these because of a stronger clutch, especially if they are not leaking now and nothing is wrong with them. So guys do you think that would really be necessary?

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, and thanks so much for taking the time to read through this. Cheers ! [/QUOTE]

That is a strong recommendation and a must when upgrading to aftermarket clutch and FW. If you're not experiencing it yet, our cars have common issue with clutch pedal being sticky or muggy. The oem master and slave are weak and tend to fail over time and that what is causing the muggy/sticky feel.

I also upgraded mine few months ago with JWT kit and I love it. Took me awhile getting use to chatter noise but it is getting less as miles builds up. I replaced my master and slave due to all the threads I read that they commonly fail. Now muggy pedal feel is gone and I am confident that I won't experience them anymore.

I was debating between ACT and JWT when I was shopping around, I heard a lot of great things with both but my budget told me get the JWT! LOL!!

Great choice with ACT! Enjoy!!

Old 09-15-2016, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deeliciousqueen
That is a strong recommendation and a must when upgrading to aftermarket clutch and FW. If you're not experiencing it yet, our cars have common issue with clutch pedal being sticky or muggy. The oem master and slave are weak and tend to fail over time and that what is causing the muggy/sticky feel.

I also upgraded mine few months ago with JWT kit and I love it. Took me awhile getting use to chatter noise but it is getting less as miles builds up. I replaced my master and slave due to all the threads I read that they commonly fail. Now muggy pedal feel is gone and I am confident that I won't experience them anymore.

I was debating between ACT and JWT when I was shopping around, I heard a lot of great things with both but my budget told me get the JWT! LOL!!

Great choice with ACT! Enjoy!!
Which non-OEM master and slave did you go with? Trying to find some recommendations with the JWT clutch and FW combo

Old 09-15-2016, 02:41 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
OEM replacement should be fine, I meant to say that the one that comes with the car tends to get weak and muggy throughout time.

But if you want to invest more for stronger aftermarket brand, there is the wilwood MSC and CSC from zspeed or concept z.