G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Quick question for oil consumption for 2004 G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick question for oil consumption for 2004 G

Hello guys,

I purchased a 2004 Inifiniti g35 Coupe with 57,000 miles on it, all original and nothing is wrong with me car. Recently, I have been reading on a bunch of threads regarding oil consumption. I understand that in the 05+ models having oil consumption issues, however, how do you guys know if the motor will need a quart every 1k? does it vary from car to car? or with regular maintenance, will I need not to worry about the motor burning excess oil?

I live in houston, my work place is litterally one min away from my place and I take my car out on the weekend. (houston is a big city to drive in) knowing all of this, my question is, how will I know if my motor is burning excess oil without me knowing? and please dont say check the dip stick, cause I check it almost every day. Thank you much in advance!

Old 04-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It can vary but the VQ35 can burn oil in all of its configurations.

Be consistent with your oil. Don't switch from Dino to full synthetic between oil changes. I think Infiniti uses a blend.

Check your oil on a level platform after the car has cooled for 15-20 minutes(beware the VQ dipstick is not the best design). Also, ask the tech when you get your changed. They can give you an idea of how much oil your car may burn. Keep a record. Rinse and repeat.

Another alternative is to install an oil catch can(search for more info). The VQ injects a small amount of oil into the intake.

Lastly, inspect around the valve covers for seepage or oil leaks.

PS- the best thing you can do is search the forums. You can find most answers with it.

Last edited by Throwing20s; 04-04-2016 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-04-2016, 08:09 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Just like with any other car... check your oil regularly. You'll notice if it's burning some by the pattern of lower oil level on the dipstick over the course of a few regular checks.

Don't wait for the oil light to come on... by then it's too late. Since you just got the car, check it once every few days just to make sure it's not burning oil. After that, do checks every 3 or 4 weeks. It only takes a minute to pull that dipstick and check the sump level (although putting it back in is unnecessarily cumbersome on these cars, haha).

Old 04-04-2016, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Throwing20s
It can vary but the VQ35 can burn oil in all of its configurations.

Be consistent with your oil. Don't switch from Dino to full synthetic between oil changes. I think Infiniti uses a blend.

Check your oil on a level platform after the car has cooled for 15-20 minutes(beware the VQ dipstick is not the best design). Also, ask the tech when you get your changed. They can give you an idea of how much oil your car may burn. Keep a record. Rinse and repeat.

Another alternative is to install an oil catch can(search for more info). The VQ injects a small amount of oil into the intake.

Lastly, inspect around the valve covers for seepage or oil leaks.

PS- the best thing you can do is search the forums. You can find most answers with it.
Thank you so much for your input, my oil change is coming up in about 1k, I will try to change every 3k miles so I will ask the tech how much oil it burns

Old 04-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Just like with any other car... check your oil regularly. You'll notice if it's burning some by the pattern of lower oil level on the dipstick over the course of a few regular checks.

Don't wait for the oil light to come on... by then it's too late. Since you just got the car, check it once every few days just to make sure it's not burning oil. After that, do checks every 3 or 4 weeks. It only takes a minute to pull that dipstick and check the sump level (although putting it back in is unnecessarily cumbersome on these cars, haha).
Haha, whats going on partyman! I will def not wait for the light to come on thats for sure. The dipstick has been fairly nice to me these last couple of days, I will go ahead and play by sight to see how the oil burns. Doesnt look like much is burning now *knocks on wood. So I will check it every week or so just in case. Thank you!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had this problem with my 04 coupe. try this video and see if it helps or not just rebuild it.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by tizzy56
i had this problem with my 04 coupe. try this video and see if it helps or not just rebuild it.Project Import: 350Z/G35 oil consumption fix/ Oil Catch Can Kit - YouTube
Wow that video was very informative! I will def check this out in the future should I experience any leaks, but it's great to know there's a oil catch kit available if needed. Hopefully I won't have to get it though! 😁

Old 04-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just ordered a can last week from mishimoto and is linked below. I am not a fan of a open system like the one from project import but it is a nice design. The one I ordered will be for the pvc side, then will get another for the back side that leads into the intake tube when I get my new intake manifold in. I may even put a 3rd up front for the crossover from drivers side valve cover to the passenger side.

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-a...catch-can.html

Old 04-04-2016, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by rdozier
I just ordered a can last week from mishimoto and is linked below. I am not a fan of a open system like the one from project import but it is a nice design. The one I ordered will be for the pvc side, then will get another for the back side that leads into the intake tube when I get my new intake manifold in. I may even put a 3rd up front for the crossover from drivers side valve cover to the passenger side.

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-a...catch-can.html
Now that looks like something I would want to use! Granted, I probably won't need it now, but i am leaning more towards this moreso than the open system. Thanks for the heads up!!

Old 04-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Sonford
Now that looks like something I would want to use! Granted, I probably won't need it now, but i am leaning more towards this moreso than the open system. Thanks for the heads up!!
I got this one in today and it is not what I was expecting. It has no type of baffle nor any type of filter inside. There is nothing for the air to hit against to liquify any oil/gas that comes through it. I am quite unimpressed. All it is, is an expensive piece of eye candy. If this thing catches anything I would be very surprised. The sad thing is, they made fun of another manufactures catch can that used a paper gasket and guess what this uses, paper gaskets. This may be fine if you pack it to the top with stainless steel scrubbers, but to not have anything for "catching" the oil beside a container pisses me the f* off. I nearly threw this out the window.

It looks like this other can has a filter and is 30$ more.
http://www.mishimoto.com/compact-baf...an-2-port.html

Old 04-05-2016, 12:02 PM
I got this one in today and it is not what I was expecting. It has no type of baffle nor any type of filter inside. There is nothing for the air to hit against to liquify any oil/gas that comes through it. I am quite unimpressed. All it is, is an expensive piece of eye candy. If this thing catches anything I would be very surprised. The sad thing is, they made fun of another manufactures catch can that used a paper gasket and guess what this uses, paper gaskets. This may be fine if you pack it to the top with stainless steel scrubbers, but to not have anything for "catching" the oil beside a container pisses me the f* off. I nearly threw this out the window.

It looks like this other can has a filter and is 30$ more.
http://www.mishimoto.com/compact-baf...an-2-port.html
soo....we might have to go with the oil catch can kit that was provided up there! haha dang! that stinks

Old 04-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Sonford
soo....we might have to go with the oil catch can kit that was provided up there! haha dang! that stinks
I am still going to use this but not for the left or right side. I will just put this on the front of the engine for a go between left and right valve covers. Probably pack it with those scrubbers so it could be actually functional.

I am just going to fab my own can for the pvc side and maybe hide it in the battery compartment and the same on the other side. I ordered and installed the brake booster cover yesterday so that gives another area to hide one in.

I just can not believe for 130$ they couldn't put in at least one O ring.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:27 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
62K miles and SLICK doesn't use oil but I always check it!

There's a simple solution to your question without adding catch cans (which is still a good idea) check your dip stick once a week. If the stick shows below the full level, add a little oil and check it again. I check mine in the garage after she's been parked for a few hours, which will give you a true reading. Not rocket science just awareness...Gary

The following users liked this post:
Justice06RR (04-06-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 01:15 PM
I am still going to use this but not for the left or right side. I will just put this on the front of the engine for a go between left and right valve covers. Probably pack it with those scrubbers so it could be actually functional.

I am just going to fab my own can for the pvc side and maybe hide it in the battery compartment and the same on the other side. I ordered and installed the brake booster cover yesterday so that gives another area to hide one in.

I just can not believe for 130$ they couldn't put in at least one O ring.
if you do that can you add some pics for tutorial purposes? it might help us all out in a way if you can

Old 04-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
There's a simple solution to your question without adding catch cans (which is still a good idea) check your dip stick once a week. If the stick shows below the full level, add a little oil and check it again. I check mine in the garage after she's been parked for a few hours, which will give you a true reading. Not rocket science just awareness...Gary
Thank you for you input Gary! im gonna follow Partyman's advice and check it out once a week! thank you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quick question for oil consumption for 2004 G