G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Quick question for oil consumption for 2004 G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 10:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonford
if you do that can you add some pics for tutorial purposes? it might help us all out in a way if you can
Sure I can do that. I am working on my subs this week and will do this can next week and maybe even do the other two as well.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdozier
Sure I can do that. I am working on my subs this week and will do this can next week and maybe even do the other two as well.
you're a boss. keep me posted!

Old 04-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonford
if you do that can you add some pics for tutorial purposes? it might help us all out in a way if you can
So I installed it today since I am still waiting for some materials to come in from Mobile Solutions before I can finish up the subs. Well everything did not go wrong, but it sure did feel like it.The pcv valve broke while removing the hose, it started raining out of nowhere, then the new hose that came with the can collapsed under the vacuum. I think I was mad more at that than anything. I installed it on the passenger side instead of the middle. No use putting it there with no other catchers installed.

I did take some pictures but stopped when the valve broke. Luckily I was able to rig it to stay in till I got to the parts store and got another one and installed it in their parking lot.It may be a few weeks before I get my custom can made. I need to have some parts fabricated for me and I will contact some fabricators next week on that. After I get everything down on paper I can get some realistic figures on how much a prototype will cost. It should not be to much as it is very simple and has no filters. It is amazing how much room you do not have on a stock g35 engine bay.

First the can. It is made very well, but like in my other post there is no wall for the air to hit to liquify any oil/gas that is in the vacuum. Only the outside movement of air that hits the sides of the can will liquify. Plus having a paper gasket instead of an o-ring is pretty sad. If you noticed the gasket tore on mine and I am sure some time down the road it will turn into a leak.

This was my first thought to install. The bracket for the can lined up with the two grounding bolts, but if you notice in the next picture(bad I know) the can will hit the hood. That was just from the can itself, the hoses were not installed at this time. This is the very center of the motor.

This is probably the ideal spot for this type of can being how large it is. I just did not have enough hose at the time to use this spot. You could easily incorporate both sides of the motor at this one spot.The bracket has a spot to hold part of the harness. Mine had been broken off so I just removed it. The only problem I see here at this spot is cars that still have the factory air box installed.

My broke pcv valve, new one at that. These things are so cheap.

I will post some pictures of the collapsed lines and where I ended up installing it. More than likely I will take it off. I may go get some proper lines and run both sides to it. One thing I noticed is when I had this hooked up when the valve was broken(ball and spring fell out) I could literally see oil being sucked up hose(its clear). And I mean a lot. I just wonder how much oil is being sucked up the intake side that has no pcv valve.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a great write up Rdozier! that was a great and comprehensive review on how to install the oil catch can. Sorry to hear about the PVC pipe, you can always get a new one

Also, the engine bay still looks like it can hold the can, you just have to do some adjusting.

I checked the oil meter on my car and it does not look like it has burn sufficient oil, YET. But I am not out of the woods.

I will check my oil regularly every sunday and see where the dipstick is. If i see some oil burning I am going to go ahead and do the install for the oil catch you showed to us. Thank you for that sweet input!!!