Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

05 coupe auto bad tranny?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 coupe auto bad tranny?

Hi everyone just joined today, ive tried looking for the problem i have to see if other people share the same but no luck yet, so ive had the car for about a month, I picked up the car from somebody who couldn't pay it anymore because the car broke down, it turned out to be the coils that was switched around and I fixed it, at the time the car was smoking between the firewall and the engine and I assumed it was from the misfire from the coils, smoke went away next day, I've been driving the car really hard and the transmission about four days ago started acting really weird, it always acted really strange downshifti ng in m mode, especially to first gear, when i got it it shifted smooth for all except for 2-3, this one time it clunked really hard and ever since then it clunks hard shifting from 1st to 2nd (when its wet tires spin) every other gear shifts ok i can still feel like it lags a little bit, it's gotten to the point where sometimes my car it's stuck in 4th gear and it goes really slow and it doesn't shift into any other gears, this happens when I come to a complete stop and downshift and then I try to go again, at this point I stop the car turn it off turn it back on and everything is fine, it did that for about 1 day on and off until I decided to change some of the fluid I change the fluid, transmission filter and right afterwards the next day it drove fine, after coming back from work it started doing the same thing of getting stuck in 4th gear, now everytime i turned off and on the car the AT check light will come on and Flash every time I turn on the car, at this point I went home checked the fluid and noticed it was on the minimum, I added what it needed which was the plan, but the the car would flash AT check still everytime I turned it on, so I took the battery terminal off to reset the computer and so far the car's been great it only shifts really hard from 1st to 2nd and it feels a little slow downshifting sometimes, I'm pretty sure I need a new transmission but right now I'm just looking at what else I could do and if it's better to rebuild it or just get a used one considering the fact that they're so complicated. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:26 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
TLDR, sorry.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you may need to replace your transmission valve body. its inside the transmission oil pan. i had similar issue. all shops kept telling me its my actual tranny but all along it was just a valve body. problem is you cant get them separately. you either buy another junk transmission or you buy a whole valve body from infiniti, but before that try draining some oil from oil pan to see what condition its in.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myGspot
you may need to replace your transmission valve body. its inside the transmission oil pan. i had similar issue. all shops kept telling me its my actual tranny but all along it was just a valve body. problem is you cant get them separately. you either buy another junk transmission or you buy a whole valve body from infiniti, but before that try draining some oil from oil pan to see what condition its in.
Okay so I put the scanner on it and it turns out it is one of the solenoid on the valve body I already bought a used transmission from a 06 my question is, is it better to just swap out the tranny or do I just change out the valve body, shifts hard from 1st to 2nd what if I did some damage to the transmission thanks for your reply

Old 09-27-2020, 01:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04’ G35 Coupe Sport
Originally Posted by elio151
Okay so I put the scanner on it and it turns out it is one of the solenoid on the valve body I already bought a used transmission from a 06 my question is, is it better to just swap out the tranny or do I just change out the valve body, shifts hard from 1st to 2nd what if I did some damage to the transmission thanks for your reply
did you fix this???