Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

I think I may have smoked my transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I may have smoked my transmission

So, my daughter is driving home one day and says she had the cruise set, went through a curve and it bogged down then revved up to 4000 rpm with the MIL on. I came and checked the codes and got the dreaded P1759 and 1757 codes. Well, I decided to drive it home, about 15 miles at 60 mph. Got to the last red light and car would barely move. Got it home, shut it down on level concrete. Checked the next day and the transmission fluid cold isn't touching the stick. So, should I just go ahead and get ready for a new transmission or is there any slim chance I may have not smoked my G35 tranny, which is what inspired my username. I assumed it was just in failsafe...I think I was wrong...

Old 10-03-2017, 09:11 AM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
G35
Was the car running when you checked the ATF?

The trans does have and will go into a failsafe mode usually limiting RPM and speed.

If the fluid is low, obviously that will cause problems in and of it self.

If you suspect transmission damage and are mechanically inclined, you could always pull the pan and see.

The codes you popped are usually associated with a fault in your transmission control module (which is in the trans).

Hopefully, it's just low and you can add, clear and go. But, why is it that low, do you have a leak and/or when was your last service?

There's tons of videos on YouTube in regards to the TCM and the codes you are experiencing, what's involved, typical causes and repairs. (Not saying that's it, but just FYI)

Old 10-03-2017, 02:13 PM
It's a bit of a long story. It was bought by a friend from an auction and he repaired it for us, front end damage. We've had it for a few months now all of a sudden it did this. I haven't seen any leaks, so it leads me to believe that maybe the transmission wasn't full to begin with, though I called myself checking. Engine was running at idle, I shifted through all the gears first before I checked. I can not turn the stick 180 like has been suggested, it twists right back in line with the bolt hole.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:51 PM
G35
If it were me, I would start by filling to the appropriate indicated level, clear the codes and drive around a bit normally and using the manual shift function to keep it higher in RPM.

You never know...

Low fluid can cause slippage, erratic gear changes, shifting issues, surging, no gear change as well to name a few, as it uses the fluid hydraulically within the valve body for the tranny’s clutches and bands as you may already know. Also, burning up the trans is the most severe of running little to no fluid.

Worst case your out ~$10 and a few minutes of your time...

Hopefully that’s all it is and you can get back on the road.

It’s always a gamble given the back story, but hopefully this ends up being a cheap and easy fix and not a costly one.

Let me know and fingers crossed!

Oh, was the fluid dark and did it smell burnt?

Last edited by joeb1983; 10-03-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:01 PM
Actually it isn't dark. It's a bit brown, but not bad. No real burnt smell. My friend said I had better just dump the pan and go ahead with a change, and look for any chunks or metal.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:12 PM
G35
Yeah, I’ve never dropped a pan on a G, plus I have a manual, but I have before on others and they had magnets inside on the bottom of the pan.

If that’s the case, you’ll know pretty quick...

Or you could drain the fluid in a clean container and get a clean magnet checking that way before you dedicate to dropping the pan. Just an idea.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:28 PM
I may be in luck. Dropped the pan. Fluid is dirty as hell, but not really burnt. A good bit of glitter in the bottom of the pan though. No chunks of anything. It had three quarts in the pan, besides what little bit I spilled. I bet it caught air. I will make sure to update this as I get the fluid changed and run it a few days after clearing that code.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:09 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
"Glitter" = metal shavings, chances are you trashed the throttle body already, the passageways are very small and metal shavings pretty much destroy it. HOWEVER, I would still refill the thing and run it again, just know that at any moment you might have a catastrophic failure and end up calling a tow truck. Definitely start pricing out a new transmission though.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:47 PM
G35
Is the “glitter” course enough that you can feel it rubbing your fingers together?

I also found this if it might help:

https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/t...nspection.html

Last edited by joeb1983; 10-03-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:19 AM
Little golden and silver flakes. Looks just like what is in those little vials of gold flakes you get from Alaska.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:31 AM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
My transmission started slipping after having my radiator changed not long ago. Called my mechanic who said maybe a cup of fluid drained in the process. Brought it right back and watched him add almost 2 more quarts. Then I went home and had to add another quart to top it off. It doesn't take much for the transmission to act up.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:34 AM
Is there a filter in the oil pan?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:45 AM
Yep. Gonna change it asap. Just need to know two things. Should I go to stealership for Nissan J, or use Castrol full syn import transmax, and what is the stuff on the bolts?

Old 10-04-2017, 08:15 AM

Can y'all see anything in this pic? I really don't see anything bad tbh.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:14 PM
I used castrol transmax import and been running it for at least 15k miles, but only a few quarts of it after changing radiator. Next time I do a drain and fill it will be with nissan fluid. I think nissan uses their own formula produced by a big company that has extra additives.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.