Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

TCM reprogram required?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g35 sedan
TCM reprogram required?

Hello, my 2003 g35 sedan has a CEL illuminated and code P1762 stored. That code corresponds to a direct clutch solenoid issue. Currently my car is in "fail safe mode" with only fourth gear enabled in drive or manual. Using the troubleshooting diagrams in the factory service manual, I checked between vehicle ground and the wire side of white connector pin 21 at the external TCM. The measurement read open whereby a good solenoid will measure around 6.3 ohms. It is currently too cold out to crawl under the car to measure this reading at pin 4 of the transmission green connector F27 which connects the TCM to the direct clutch solenoid but assuming the open reading is still in effect when measured at this location, I plan on dropping the transmission pan and removing the valve body to allow access to the solenoids. Then I will replace the faulty solenoid in the direct clutch circuit and button everything up. My question is this: will the TCM identify the problem as solved and extinguish the SEL and allow normal operation without a reset of the TCM? If a reset is required do I need a dealer to perform this task or can I do it myself? Thanks for any and all replies.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:18 PM
2005 g35 sedan
Originally Posted by icarustwo
Hello, my 2003 g35 sedan has a CEL illuminated and code P1762 stored. That code corresponds to a direct clutch solenoid issue. Currently my car is in "fail safe mode" with only fourth gear enabled in drive or manual. Using the troubleshooting diagrams in the factory service manual, I checked between vehicle ground and the wire side of white connector pin 21 at the external TCM. The measurement read open whereby a good solenoid will measure around 6.3 ohms. It is currently too cold out to crawl under the car to measure this reading at pin 4 of the transmission green connector F27 which connects the TCM to the direct clutch solenoid but assuming the open reading is still in effect when measured at this location, I plan on dropping the transmission pan and removing the valve body to allow access to the solenoids. Then I will replace the faulty solenoid in the direct clutch circuit and button everything up. My question is this: will the TCM identify the problem as solved and extinguish the SEL and allow normal operation without a reset of the TCM? If a reset is required do I need a dealer to perform this task or can I do it myself? Thanks for any and all replies.
Currently in same situation as you. Bought 2005 G35 sedan from family. It has fault code P1762 direct clutch solenoid. It's my first infinity/Nissan. I hope your were able to fix your problem. Can you please tell me what you did to fix it? I have not done anything yet because I just bought it 2 days ago. I hope your information can assist me with mine. I'm hoping I can just replace the direct clutch solenoid I'm first I'm going to inspect the fuse, TCM connector and wire condition.
Side note this is the car's second transmission. First transmission the reverse gear was slipping so the guy replace the transmission 2 years later this problem p1762.
I would really appreciate your help so much. What action you did? Where to get least cost parts? I can do the labor myself.
Thank you in advance.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:25 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Remove the valve body and inspect the harness pin for that solenoid (on the valve body), fairly common for the pin to break off at the connector and it's an easy solder job. If the pin is intact then just replace the solenoid, you can pick up an entire solenoid kit for under $50.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:17 PM
2005 g35 sedan
TCM/solenoid

Originally Posted by cleric670
Remove the valve body and inspect the harness pin for that solenoid (on the valve body), fairly common for the pin to break off at the connector and it's an easy solder job. If the pin is intact then just replace the solenoid, you can pick up an entire solenoid kit for under $50.
Yup harness pins are good. Struggling to find vendor online that I can purchase for a decent $ and with confidence in the quality. I see lots vendors from China but takes weeks to ship. I need the parts asap. Any recommendations on cost effective website to buy from? I have the Bosch black ring top style solenoids. Also logically, it makes sense to replace the complete set of solenoids to avoid future replacement. First time Nissan/Infinity owner so it's definitely a learning experience. I really appreciate the help.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Jodi Doe; 03-08-2020 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Add more details
Old 03-08-2020, 05:48 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
https://www.sonnax.com/units/96-re5r05a

Scroll down to the bottom and use their resource links at the bottom to verify exactly which solenoid you need, don't be afraid to call or email them, Sonnax is really easy to work with. They have a distributor locator tool you can use to see if you have anyone locally, if not then you can order any of their catalog items directly through Summit Racing.

They're not cheap but they're pretty much the best in the industry, if you only need to replace one solenoid and want to buy an OEM-or-better quality part then that's who I recommend. My transmission guy turned me on to them years ago and I've never been disappointed.

If you want CHEAP then just google search "RE5R05A solenoid kit" and buy from a vendor that has a great return policy like Amazon, if you get screwed by the 3rd party vendor Amazon will take care of you. You can probably find the entire kit for about the price of a single Sonnax solenoid, about $50-$60 usually.

Alternatively you can use their resource links for their "valve body identification" and find the exact one you need and just order a remanufactured valve body directly through www.rockauto.com. If you have the 1st revision low resistance valve body it's still pretty expensive but the rest of them are all $280 through rockauto with a $250 core charge which is NOT BAD AT ALL for a remanufactured valve body with quality components.

Old 07-10-2021, 12:02 AM
Gold G35x Sedan
Heyy

Hey guy I’m also going through the same situation.I have the P1762 code.Took it to the transmission spot change the direct solenoid and code still pop up.Was you guy able to fix your situation?

Old 07-10-2021, 09:35 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Originally Posted by Flacko27
Hey guy I’m also going through the same situation.I have the P1762 code.Took it to the transmission spot change the direct solenoid and code still pop up.Was you guy able to fix your situation?
Did they check the TCM itself to see if the pin was broken which is much more common than the sensor itself failing. It can be soldered back on easily.