Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

G35 Sedan LSD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 Sedan LSD

The difference between a limited slip and what traction control can do with selective wheel braking is that with a limited slip, there is less driveshaft "energy" turned into heat, (by the brakes). A selectively applied rear brake can definately cause power to be redireced from a spinning inner wheel to an outer wheel. If you ever get stuck in the snow or mud in a car with an open differential, one of the best tricks is to pull the emergency brake to shift power to the non spinning wheel. This trick has worked for me on many, many occasions. While the emergency brake applies braking to both rear wheels, (and this works,) traction control does even better by only braking the spinning wheel. Bottom line, is that this works quite well for preventing inner-wheel spin. Problem is, it saps power; and depending on the reaction time of the traction control system, and whether it messes with the engine as well, it might make the car feel like you lifted off the gas for a second. My 3 series BMW almost dies when the traction control kicks in. So a LSD would be a benefit for any sport sedan. And even more of a benefit if you want to autocross your G...this has more impact on tighter corners.

04 G35 6MTS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem/Wint (Hopefully Sept 03)
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 06-12-2003, 01:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes we want a Helical LSD, I didn't go thru any more effort to check than i had to. I had to rotate the tires anyways so it was up.

It won't be long before we see the 350's in the junkyard though.

We should see some of the typical z drivers in accidents soon.

another year or so. We need to start a "junkyard" sticky thread mods. maybe not right now, but as the VQ powered cars and the 350's hit the junkyards, some yards will be better than others. like was stated above, new parts will be EXPENSIVE.

Better Life thru Chemistry

Old 06-12-2003, 04:38 PM

RacerX, thanks for the info, makes sense to me. This is the first car I've had with VCD/TCS, so I haven't felt it in action yet.

My old car ('93 SE-R) has a real LSD and frankly, I could never tell if it was doing anything for me, since I don't autocross.

g35doman
'03.5 5AS, BS/G, Leather, Sport, 32%, Klasse

Old 06-13-2003, 02:09 PM

Trust me, if you have a sedan with RWD and a good amount of power, and NO LSD or traction control, you would know it. I had a BMW 528i with neither, and unless you were carefull, it would spin the inner rear wheel very easily on a tight turn. Good for effect, but it would slow you down.

04 G35 6MTS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem/Wint (Hopefully Sept 03)
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!