Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

SGP 5AT valve body - VIDEO!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 05:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woohoo

I love it! Gives another Auto transmission owner hope for some fast shifts and lots of torque!

(i got the auto cuz its more comfortable, damn it! but i want to take my G over 600rwhp someday and this should definately help with the load)

Old 08-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I emailed SPGRacing for timeline and est price:

"We are still 2-4 weeks out and expected price should be under $900"

Old 08-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Gurgen, will this be worth while for us NA guys?... I won't be going FI for quite a while.

I have heard good things about Stillen's AT valve body upgrade and rode in DaveO and Dsskyline NA G's w/Stillen, notably better than my stock.

Is the SGP better suited for high HP and TQ (as with FI)? Or should I consider now?

Old 08-17-2005, 04:01 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
OCG35, I'd probably wait for the SGP, just because it seems like it really makes a bigger difference.

Gurgen, is it possible to log the downshift speed times?

Old 08-17-2005, 04:21 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
Will this be worth it for the 05 guys? I remember when I bought mine that some 03-04 owners said Infiniti upgraded the MM mode as far as shifting goes. I've never been in an AT 03 or 04 so I have no idea if there is a difference. Thanks

Old 08-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
Gurgen, will this be worth while for us NA guys?... I won't be going FI for quite a while.
Now that's a judgement call for you the owner. Will your transmision have excessive wear when your car is in an NA form? no. SO it's not a necessity for you guys (while it IS for us FI people). Will it shave off a .1-.2 off your 0-60 and about twice that off your 1/4 mile? Well..just look at the graphs above, it's hard to argue with numbers such as those.

I have heard good things about Stillen's AT valve body upgrade
You are the only one then.

and rode in DaveO and Dsskyline NA G's w/Stillen, notably better than my stock.
Yes it is (although I don't know if I'd say 'notably', just from my experience), but it's ain't the SGP one, that's for SURE.

Is the SGP better suited for high HP and TQ (as with FI)? Or should I consider now?
I think there will be several versions (i.e. how severe do you want to spin the tires b/w shifts) of the VB, but do NOT quoate me on that just yet. To spin tires like i do you will need a more aggressive setting I gather, since you have less power to suffice for a tire spin. That's if you want to spin tires (which is mostly for show).

Originally Posted by E_K
Gurgen, is it possible to log the downshift speed times?
I guess it is, I will try to do that if I get a chance. I usually trynot too, as given the power of the engine, it's probably not the best thing for it (it REALLY bangs the drivetrain).

Old 08-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by g8tor20
Will this be worth it for the 05 guys? I remember when I bought mine that some 03-04 owners said Infiniti upgraded the MM mode as far as shifting goes. I've never been in an AT 03 or 04 so I have no idea if there is a difference. Thanks
I can't see how it's nopt, the computer upgrade does not affect the line pressure, and hence the stiffness of the shift (from what I know). But, get a ride from an 03/04 buddy..and make your decision

Old 08-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Gurgen, quick ? re: graphs. I didn't see mention of GroundingGear - by chance was that installed on either the stock unit or the SGP VB car?

Just wandering what impact that might have as I have noticed a marked improvement in MM shifting since installing the 10 wire kit recently. The LCD display shifts instantly now (an immediately noticeable improvement), but there is still a small physical delay that *appears* to be less than before.

So was wondering to what extent the GG might affect the data?

Last edited by rcdash; 08-17-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by rcdash
Gurgen, quick ? re: graphs. I didn't see mention of GroundingGear - by chance was that installed on either the stock unit or the SGP VB car?

Just wandering what impact that might have as I have noticed a marked improvement in MM shifting since installing the 10 wire kit recently. The LCD display shifts instantly now (an immediately noticeable improvement), but there is still a small physical delay that *appears* to be less than before.

So was wondering to what extent the GG might affect the data?
I do not have the GroundingGear installed, only 3 wires that remained since the last kit I had (7th wire AT, ECU wire, and TCM wire) and the last two connected to the battery not the front of the engine.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so, did SGP every go "live" with this upgrade?

Old 04-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Yup. I'm getting it and a Level10 TC too. There's a lot of talk about the SGP VB on my350z.com.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Theres a GroupBuy right now on the SGP VB upgrade at my350z.com forum.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well, i already have Stillen VB upgrade, and my car isn't even FI!. but it's good to know!

Old 05-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Has anyone had any failures do to the increase line pressure in the trans?

Old 05-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Cracker Red
Has anyone had any failures do to the increase line pressure in the trans?
yep. But not due to SPG AT VB... it was due to down shifting in MM at high RMP. I had an external ATF cooler and the return line blew off. Spewed a bunch of AT fluid and of course, no gears. I thought I wasted the tranny... but filled it up with fluid and it was fine. I did however remove the ATF cooler. The cooler itself wasn’t the problem, it was the sh!tty hose clamps. And the fact that I downshifted it an RMP range that I should have never considered downshifting from. AT is fine by the way – no probs at all.

Live and learn... what is your situation?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SGP 5AT valve body - VIDEO!