DIY: Airbox mod - Cool Air Injector (anti-56k)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
CAI don't do squat. This is just a way of redirecting cold air without having to go with a long-ram intake setup.

IMO, its a great approach.

they do just as much as poop chargers. This is a stupid approach because the diameter of the tubing is smaller than even the stock ducts.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he is replacing a sealed resonator that provides NO air with this duct, which provides some cold air. the intake still gets the majority of its air from up top, but since it now has a colder source for a portion of the air, and since warm air rises, the warmer air will be released through the top openings and this will replace some of it with lower temp air. it's a great idea

Old 10-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by manbeer
he is replacing a sealed resonator that provides NO air with this duct, which provides some cold air. the intake still gets the majority of its air from up top, but since it now has a colder source for a portion of the air, and since warm air rises, the warmer air will be released through the top openings and this will replace some of it with lower temp air. it's a great idea
air temps 1-2 feet above the ground is actually hotter than it is from 2 feet and above (as measured by DaveO and myself a couple years ago) - black asphalt absorbs heat and continuously is radiating hotter than the ambient air up higher. This isn’t to say its hotter than what the OEM opening is sucking up (I'm not sure how hot it gets down there - but I'm pretty sure its cooler than upper engine compartment).

So, even though it seems like stuffing a tube (whether long ram or a mod like this) is drawing in cold air, it's actually drawing in much hotter air than is being drawn in from the upper intake (through the grille). Which is why a short ram intake being used with the OEM snorkel is actually more of a "cold air" intake than a long ram intake shoved down low (typically called "CAI").

Old 10-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
interesting

Old 10-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

During the day, when the ground is heated by the sun, small scale turbulence transfers heat from the ground to the air that is in contact with it. This warmed air then rises because its density is less, and is replaced by cooler air from above it. Wind turbulence enhances this effect so that surface heat is readily transferred through the air mass. At night a different situation prevails. Ground no longer heated by the sun cools by losing radiant heat to the upper atmosphere and to space, especially if the sky is cloudless. The air, particularly layers near the ground, becomes cold, even though turbulence is now transferring heat from above down to the cooling surface.

Cold air is denser than warm air, so the cold air near the ground sinks to the lowest level it can find, while the warm air remains above it. The wind turbulence now has great difficulty in stirring up the heavier cold air layers near the ground and replacing them with eddies of warm air from higher up. So the cold air becomes even colder, and the wind dies away. This reversal of the normal daytime decrease of temperature with height is called a temperature inversion.

http://www.bom.gov.au/info/ftweather/page_3.shtml

the air may be a few degrees warmer in the daytime with the sun beating down on the ground, but still cooler than engine bay air, and less restrictive than the stock setup, and at night, the cooler air is falling to ground level

Last edited by UR2EZ; 10-25-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
air temps 1-2 feet above the ground is actually hotter than it is from 2 feet and above (as measured by DaveO and myself a couple years ago) - black asphalt absorbs heat and continuously is radiating hotter than the ambient air up higher. This isn’t to say its hotter than what the OEM opening is sucking up (I'm not sure how hot it gets down there - but I'm pretty sure its cooler than upper engine compartment).

So, even though it seems like stuffing a tube (whether long ram or a mod like this) is drawing in cold air, it's actually drawing in much hotter air than is being drawn in from the upper intake (through the grille). Which is why a short ram intake being used with the OEM snorkel is actually more of a "cold air" intake than a long ram intake shoved down low (typically called "CAI").
I don't think any of that really matters... the whole point of a cold air intake was to get the filter out of the much hotter ambient temperatures of your engine bay. While the ram air piece of the stock exhaust draws in cooler air already, more cool air cannot be a bad thing.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Asphalt ground temps are as much as 20 degrees hotter bellow 18" or so than 36" or so - on a normal sunny day... engine heat is much hotter in the upper part of the bay than down low when this air box hole is... so comparing engine heat soak from down here isn’t relative.

As I stated previously, I cant say whether or not that heat at the point of the OEM hole is hotter or cooler than ground air, I haven’t measured it... but drawing air from just above the ground is definitely not "cold air".

Old 10-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool mod. I might suggest painting the white PVC connector with black spray paint so that you cannot see it through the bumper opening.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would suggest replacing the 45 degree PVC coupler with a straight coupler. That way rain water can flow straight out. The way it is now, some water will get trapped in the line.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts
like the mod so I tried to make my own Made a beer bong looking one today. didn't really work out but it was so close. Try again soon

Old 10-27-2008, 10:42 PM
lol!!!

when i first did this mod a few days ago, it was hot outside, and i couldn't really feel much of a difference, maybe a little more pull at the top of third gear... but today it was really cold, and WOW i could feel some major gain on the highway,....

Old 10-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dyno or ban.

jk

The following users liked this post:
cenzo6mt (10-12-2016)
Old 10-27-2008, 10:48 PM
lol, dyno'ing a plastic tube insert

prolly won't give me the results i want, unless i can do a dyno flying down the highway with air being injected into my hole

Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
paint it black..

Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Calvin
paint it black..
+1000000

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Airbox mod - Cool Air Injector (anti-56k)