DIY: Airbox mod - Cool Air Injector (anti-56k)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was a fun conversation for a while.... let's have another go at it, shall we?

I have quit doing this type of little stuff on our G... too many other things to spend my $12 on, and it might be getting sold soon anyway...

Old 08-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
any sound difference when taking the baffle off?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ahh the ram air concept. had the same type of setup on my truck back in the day. large scoop type piece in the lower air dam and then big hose run up into the airbox. the first time I started the truck hiccuped haha i unplugged the battery and let it reset...got on the freeway and it pulled nicely above 70ish. also sounded a lot louder. not sure how much this lil pipe does but A for effort

Old 09-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice work... any noticeable gains or sounds?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I noticed a considerable loss of power a few days ago, and when I went to check everything I found my funnel and tube had come dislodged (first time in 2 years).

Old 10-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by UR2EZ
I noticed a considerable loss of power a few days ago, and when I went to check everything I found my funnel and tube had come dislodged (first time in 2 years).
if the "considerable loss of power" was do to this mod, it should be pretty easy to show gains on a dyno... it should be simply and quick to do before and afters...

Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 AM
so you fixed it and you regained the lost power right? I might do this mod if its worth it. Where do you notice the gains the most? lower, mid-range, or top end?

Old 10-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think dislodging a modifcation that can produce a 1/2 hp increase in the mid range of the RPM band will cause you a "considerable loss of power". If you kept the hole uncovered completely it would be like having a pop charger end on your intake, as that is a fully open3.5inch inlet. You would probably have more of a change in power changing your oil IMO.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:18 PM
well I've been driving with this mod on two seperate G's since long before you were even a member of this forum... so, although I appreciate your input, the matter has been discussed exhaustively.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well I've been driving with this mod on two seperate G's since long before you were even a member of this forum... so, although I appreciate your input, the matter has been discussed exhaustively.

aha, the amount of time that I have been a member on a forum means nothing for knowledge on engine mechanics. Do you have any dyno results? If not then you obviously haven't discussed enough with no solid information.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 PM
I just bought this "mod". We'll see how it feels. The pipe is quite small, but why not?

EDIT: What a major pain in the ***. I just put it on and it looks like **** on my car, but I'm about to go drive around and see what happens.

Last edited by MM_G3520; 11-19-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:09 PM
^it shouldnt look like anything! And to answer a previous question, as soon as i put it back on i could immediately feel the restored power on the highway
@junkyard- have u even read through this thread? This mod directs outside air into the airbox...more air, cooler air.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:10 PM
^it shouldnt look like anything! And to answer a previous question, as soon as i put it back on i could immediately feel the restored power on the highway
@junkyard- have u even read through this thread? This mod directs outside air into the airbox...more air, cooler air.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Hey, I had to cut the plastic flashing to make it fit. This mod is by no means in its final state, but it's a little ugly as it sits right now. I was working in a garage, and the light wasn't the best, however I do have a second piece of flashing I will make work at some point. My issue is that the pipe kept hitting a piece of the front clip, so I had to insert it into the flashing at an angle, however, this angle required me to cut the flashing, and it didn't quite remain flush like yours. I had to cut it to make it fit. The top edge seemed to keep hitting the foam above the top scoop/rib of the bumper. I've messed with it a good bit, and it's stable. I didn't get a chance to take it on the highway yet, but around town it has not moved. I'll be driving to the track tonight, so we'll see what happens! It has about an hour and a half to prove itself on I-95.

One thing I did notice while blowing into the pipe inlet is that a lot of the air gets trapped as it circulates in the small water diversion box on the bottom of the airbox. Do you know what I mean? If you take the front piece of the airbox it has a piece that extends under the back half when they're together. I was only blowing with my mouth, but it seems that some of the air circulates in that part of the airbox instead of coming right up to the filter, but it could be VERY different at highway speeds! My mouth certainly doesn't replicate wind hitting the flashing or the engine sucking in through the filter.

I'll take some pics at the track, remember, ugly, but functional...

Old 11-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Yea i cut the flashing too to make it fit on the coupe. If you're talking about the right clip, the one im thinking of, You should be able to remove it and you should be able to remove the foam as well, cuz they are in the way. The first post has pictures of how to remove the plastic bracket that holds the foam block. Is that the clip youre referring too? As per the pipe, it will be slightly off from the flashing, so use the elbow to make the required bend, and move the flashing left or right to adjust as necessary. Now as far as it being ugly, are u talking about the white pvc end being visible? Just spraypaint it black. Its mostly behind the flashing anyway, which is black and should not be visible.

Last edited by UR2EZ; 11-19-2010 at 02:20 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Airbox mod - Cool Air Injector (anti-56k)