DIY: Manual Tranny and Diff Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The supplies listed above worked fine, just finished it over the weekend. I highly recommend purchasing the Hand Pump, it made the refilling a cinch.

Also, wipe the threads on the rear diff drain plug hole before inserting the plug back in, they'll be filthy too.

Like others mentioned the MTF fluid in the car looked ok, this was just preventative maintenance. The car has 60K miles on it. I bought it used at around 47K, so I have no record of previous maintenance. After the fluid change, it shifted about the same.

The diff was a little dirty, and my plug had that paste on it, too.

I also reused the 2 metal gaskets on the MTF and Rear diff plugs, no issues.

here's some pix.

Tranny

Rear Diff

Materials

Last edited by Lang1220; 08-09-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 AM
so all u need is 2 quarts or severe gear for the diff? and 4 qts for the trans? both are 75w-90 am i correct?

Old 09-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Appl3
so all u need is 2 quarts or severe gear for the diff? and 4 qts for the trans? both are 75w-90 am i correct?
No! Look at your owner's manual! If you don't have one, go to nissan-usa.com The owner's manual specifies the viscosity you need. Nobody on here knows better than the owner's manual. I don't know why people use severe gear. The trans and diff are different multi weight oils

Amsoil.com also lists everything you can use for your car if you punch in yur car year make and model

Old 09-02-2010, 04:44 PM
ok well i bought my car used so there is no service manual thats why i asked..thanks

Old 05-31-2014, 12:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
where did you guys find the oem gear oil? i cant seem to find it anywhere online..

Old 05-31-2014, 03:32 AM
You can get it from the dealership, but I upgraded to AMS Oil when I did mine.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Ok I can't seem to find the amsoil 75w-90 severe gear oil anywhere. I checked ebay and Amazon.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:05 PM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by d0ugch0i
Ok I can't seem to find the amsoil 75w-90 severe gear oil anywhere. I checked ebay and Amazon.
You have to order if from Amsoil directly, or get it from a local dealer which can be hard to find.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I apologize for resurrecting an older thread but this is a very good one and I have a dumb question about whether the trans fluid level on a 6mt should be checked hot or cold.

Had my 6mt fluid changed by a non-Infiniti shop and can't shift into 2nd when cold. Decided to replace the fluid with MTF from the dealer myself and am following these instructions in this thread. What surprised me is when I removed the FILL plug first, 22 ounces of fluid immediately came pouring out of the FILL plug (I measured it after).

Now I had warmed up the tranny by driving about 15 miles to make sure the fluid was warm and would drain out good. So my question is this: how much does the fluid level increase when the trans is warm? Or did the service place over-fill it? The Infiniti maintenance manual says overfilling the trans can make it hard to shift.... maybe this is the problem rather than the kind of fluid??

If I fill the trans tomorrow morning to the bottom of the fill plug cold, then will the trans be under-filled?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by FinallyFlying
I apologize for resurrecting an older thread but this is a very good one and I have a dumb question about whether the trans fluid level on a 6mt should be checked hot or cold. Had my 6mt fluid changed by a non-Infiniti shop and can't shift into 2nd when cold. Decided to replace the fluid with MTF from the dealer myself and am following these instructions in this thread. What surprised me is when I removed the FILL plug first, 22 ounces of fluid immediately came pouring out of the FILL plug (I measured it after). Now I had warmed up the tranny by driving about 15 miles to make sure the fluid was warm and would drain out good. So my question is this: how much does the fluid level increase when the trans is warm? Or did the service place over-fill it? The Infiniti maintenance manual says overfilling the trans can make it hard to shift.... maybe this is the problem rather than the kind of fluid?? If I fill the trans tomorrow morning to the bottom of the fill plug cold, then will the trans be under-filled?
My god, are you saying the fill nozzle overfilled!? Holy mother of hell that's overfilled.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:16 AM
They must have filled it up with the car on an incline and put all 4 quarts in.

Capacity is around 3.25 quarts. You have to pour it in cold, right to the bottom of the fill plug. Makes sure the car is level. .

If you do with the car level, should be impossible to over fill. Just fill it till it hits the bottom of the fill plug, and you're good. No need to drive the car and let it warm up and check again.

If the car is level, and it comes to just barely touch the fill hole, you're good.

You probably don't even need to change it, you just needed to let that extra ~.75 quarts out. SHould be fine now.

The following users liked this post:
FinallyFlying (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the info!! The total amount that drained out overnight was 3qts and 22oz so I think it was definitely overfilled.

It took 3qts and 9oz to fill it up to the fill plug, car level and all.

Shifts a lot smoother but the real test will come when it's set out overnight on a cold night. I'll leave it out tonight and post the final results after I drive it cold. Kind of wish I had tried just letting the excess fluid out first but I already drained the whole thing by the time I saw the reply.

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Hatchman (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by FinallyFlying
Thanks for the info!! The total amount that drained out overnight was 3qts and 22oz so I think it was definitely overfilled.

It took 3qts and 9oz to fill it up to the fill plug, car level and all.

Shifts a lot smoother but the real test will come when it's set out overnight on a cold night. I'll leave it out tonight and post the final results after I drive it cold. Kind of wish I had tried just letting the excess fluid out first but I already drained the whole thing by the time I saw the reply.

Thanks
Sounds good, let us know how she is tomorrow.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Smooth as silk shifting into 2nd and all gears even cold. Never would have believed the fluid could make such a big diff.

Thanks for all the help.... it's nice to have this car running great again.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Sounds great! Glad that all is well.

Cheers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Manual Tranny and Diff Fluid Change