Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

UR Pulley Update: Check In Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
So can someone give me 2 straight answers: Are pulleys a worthwhile mod on the G35? And generally speaking, are they reliable?

Old 08-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many other people have also showed gains with the UDP on the VQ as well. I don't trust results from someone who hasn't done any testing himself.

LT1 stock crank pulley (not the same as the Vq)

With a damper installed. http://www.go-fast.org/z28/damper.html

LS1 Crank Pulley (again not the same as the VQ)

Also this is a interesting tidbit:

"Harmonic Dampner is what you are refering to. This is used by older domestics, but most of imports use rubber rings and a lot don't have one at all, like our 350z. Therefore, after market crank pulley will not harm your engine. "

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/inde...t=ST&f=9&t=503

May not be a 350z/G35 VQ but its some good info on Pulleys and how they work with Testing.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/august04/specv/

Old 08-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Gammawolf
So can someone give me 2 straight answers: Are pulleys a worthwhile mod on the G35? And generally speaking, are they reliable?
Nope. LOL

Sorry man- this was, is, and ever will be the debate that never dies. Knowledgable modder after modder will post very good information that will point to opposing points of view.

I, myself did add the UR crank pulley. I did so after already having my intake and exhaust. I never dyno'd but will say that it absolutely made a difference for me as it quickened my G's pace up the RPM band.

I don't have any links- this is my opinion based on my experience. I would tell you that even w/ my old 200sx SER, I could tell when my air filter was getting dirty because I could feel the loss in performance. Same here, I can feel the quickness. ... and to add- I can also tell that my MAF needs to be cleaned. LOL

Old 08-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Florida G35 Club
I would not even bolt this trash on my engine. There are so many things that are just wronge about this mod. If anything, I feel with my currant mods, a heavy flywheel and more weight should be put on the frt of the crank. After my cam timming change, I noticed that this engine wants more weight on the flywheel. Drivability has droped. And the engine has a more 2 cycle power band. The fluidamper would be a wise move and with my mods feel it was a great investment. If you want to more power try changing your cam timing. I just happen to know a VQ that banged out over 300 hp at 4800' not corrected. and corrected made 331@ 7100 rpms. smoked a single turbo z that day. Spend your money on cam timing. Big bang for you buck!!

Old 08-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Gee Pasta. You changed the cam timing? Can you elaborate on this or point to where it's discussed?

Old 08-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Gee Pasta. You changed the cam timing? Can you elaborate on this or point to where it's discussed?
+1, wtf is cam timing? Also, what does MAF stand for? Modified Air Filter?

Old 08-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Cam timing = when the intake or exhaust valves open/close in relation to crank position. Or piston position but they are one in the same really.

MAF. Mass Air Flow The MAF on our car is meter that measures the Mass of the Air entering the engine.

+1, wtf is cam timing? Also, what does MAF stand for? Modified Air Filter?

Old 08-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by OCGsedan
Nope. LOL

Sorry man- this was, is, and ever will be the debate that never dies. Knowledgable modder after modder will post very good information that will point to opposing points of view.

I, myself did add the UR crank pulley. I did so after already having my intake and exhaust. I never dyno'd but will say that it absolutely made a difference for me as it quickened my G's pace up the RPM band.

I don't have any links- this is my opinion based on my experience. I would tell you that even w/ my old 200sx SER, I could tell when my air filter was getting dirty because I could feel the loss in performance. Same here, I can feel the quickness. ... and to add- I can also tell that my MAF needs to be cleaned. LOL
You'd swear we were talkin' about states rights vs a stronger central government WTF???

Oh well, I just ordered the UR pulleys because I heard a lot of good feedback from different G owners, you included. I'll post my experience with it later on.

So how could you tell that your MAF needed to be cleaned? What are the symptoms?

Last edited by Gammawolf; 08-24-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I will do a post on this when the time is right. Understand that most mods do not show much or any gains on the VQ. Headers would be the best item that just plain doesn't show power. The cam timing is the ticket here. do you realize that nobody even knows the cam spec's on a rev-up engine.
Well ,I do. The design (stock),,,,,is just for smog. There is power in the VQ stock you just need to find it. I will need to dyno at Churches in Calif.
for a real HP figure. The first dyno there was 273 HP 264 TQ. I know, The engine is way stronger now. PS cam change is a lot of work.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE PASTA
I will do a post on this when the time is right. Understand that most mods do not show much or any gains on the VQ. Headers would be the best item that just plain doesn't show power. The cam timing is the ticket here. do you realize that nobody even knows the cam spec's on a rev-up engine.
Well ,I do. The design (stock),,,,,is just for smog. There is power in the VQ stock you just need to find it. I will need to dyno at Churches in Calif.
for a real HP figure. The first dyno there was 273 HP 264 TQ. I know, The engine is way stronger now. PS cam change is a lot of work.
Dude, I heard you talking about this stuff back at the end of last year when the mrev was getting going. You've had enough time already. Hurry the **** up!

Just kidding. I'm very interested in learning what you've got to share.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OCGsedan
There was/ is (always will be?) an ongoing debate to whether the main crank pulley (sometimes referred to as a dampner) is specifically balanced against the cranks in our motors-

OR to put it another way: whether or not a lighter, smaller UR Pulley will damage our motors over time due to an imbalance.

I have an 03.5 sedan and had my UR installed early in 2004. My car has lost a little bit of its jump- but I associate that to needing my MAF cleaned.

I've had zero trouble w/ the pulley thus far until recently- Now I'm hearing a slight squeaking, kind of griding/wearing sound coming from the front of my block. I'm not sure what it could be- and it could be nothing. (it's only slight)

Either way, everyone with Pulleys; CHECK IN. Any issues?
check and retighten the belts

Old 08-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Dude, I heard you talking about this stuff back at the end of last year when the mrev was getting going. You've had enough time already. Hurry the **** up!

Just kidding. I'm very interested in learning what you've got to share.
Wow, I never figured that what I had to say ment anything.
You guys will have to deal with Tony on this matter.
Im busy running a company, and with spare time share it with Tony.
His company is, and will be the best investment you belivers can invest in.
UD pullies is just a joke.
Lets just see down at churches what this little 213 ci VQ does?
Time will tell. Im betting over 340 hp@7100rpms with some strong torqe#
Trey,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I bet if you change your plugs, You will get that problem fixed. Dennis

Old 08-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by godmans
check and retighten the belts
OH ,,,,,Yaa,,,,, That will fix the problem!!!!

Old 08-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Many other people have also showed gains with the UDP on the VQ as well. I don't trust results from someone who hasn't done any testing himself.

LT1 stock crank pulley (not the same as the Vq)

With a damper installed. http://www.go-fast.org/z28/damper.html

LS1 Crank Pulley (again not the same as the VQ)

Two pullies, sandwiched elastomer ring, same design and principle. Just because it looks different doesn't mean the design isn't the same.

Also this is a interesting tidbit:

"Harmonic Dampner is what you are refering to. This is used by older domestics, but most of imports use rubber rings and a lot don't have one at all, like our 350z. Therefore, after market crank pulley will not harm your engine. "

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/inde...t=ST&f=9&t=503
People who say harmonic balancer have not a clue what they're talking about. You cannot balance harmonics.

May not be a 350z/G35 VQ but its some good info on Pulleys and how they work with Testing.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/august04/specv/
From the article:

When it came to horsepower the total average gain was 1.17 hp. At the bottom end and mid range, however, the Spec V averaged 1.65 and 1.01 hp respectively. The average top end gain was totally insignificant at 0.84 hp.
Sign me up!

Old 08-24-2006, 11:38 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE PASTA
I would not even bolt this trash on my engine. There are so many things that are just wronge about this mod. If anything, I feel with my currant mods, a heavy flywheel and more weight should be put on the frt of the crank. After my cam timming change, I noticed that this engine wants more weight on the flywheel. Drivability has droped. And the engine has a more 2 cycle power band. The fluidamper would be a wise move and with my mods feel it was a great investment.
Hell yes. If you actually want to increase engine longevity and possibly gain power, do what the Pros do and add a HEAVIER Fluidamper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UR Pulley Update: Check In Please