Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Installed new NonStopTuning pulleys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Are those % gains relative to 1st gear? Ie.. over and above 1st gear gains? I'd take that. Expecially when these gains are more pronounced in the gears you actually care about.
Follow the math. Per my example, a 10% gain in 1st would be just a 3.8% gain in 2nd, 1.8% gain in 3rd, etc. The gains drop off VERY quickly.

And no, the flywheel was not "insanely" lightened. The everyday drivability was only minimally reduced. And this is someone that commuted everyday in stop/go traffic. Someone that brought his daughter to grandma's everyday.
By insanely lightened in my example, I refer to the fact that you would need to dramatically lighten the flywheel to see 10% gains in 1st. What's the mass of the OEM G35 flywheel?

Old 05-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
This is one area where you and I differ. Like you, I've been fairly selective with my mods(just not as much). I research each mod until I have a high confidence. However, not one mod has given me the gains I've seen in countless dynos. I didn't have high expectations for anything but the test pipes, utec, or the mrev. But none of those gave me anything close to what some others are seeing.

But here's where we differ: I don't think these mods don't work. They just weren't as effective for me as for some others. Each car is different, and will respond uniquely.
Very good points.

I also research to the point where I have enough confindence toward a mod. In this case, a UR Pulley. As far as im concerned, although it may not live up to its hype, it does what its suppose to do, as long as its installed correctly.

I just hope my car responds to mods a little more than my expectations

Old 05-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Wow, i didn't think this thread would cause so much controversy. I've just updated my first post with the dyno results, so please check them out.

If anyones got any further questions about my experience with these pulleys, feel free to reply to this thread or PM me.

And like said before, just have fun modding!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 PM

Nice gains, will translate to a more fun car in normal day to day driving.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:20 AM
whts funny to me is when people read " 10% more hp" then do the math - also, DYNO runs - this should be used as a BASELINE number - something " tangible" to work from...not to bt LIVED out by ( VQ GUY - im not pointing you out / calling you out - im speaking in general )
you can set the " parameters" on a dyno - some dyno high ( #'s ) some lower - but these numbers should be used as a reference point.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:27 AM
pulleys were designed to lighten ROTATING MASS and also to DECREASE parasitic drag - these are proven parts - but on RACECARS! all motors ( internal combustion ) all work on the same "idea" - regardless of make / model - I like pulleys, and would do them again ( only on a manual tranny though )
i also think that any lightening of rotating mass is good, but it changes the "characteristics" of the motor / how it runs ( not necessarily JUST powerband )ie- a lightened flywheel, gives you faster RPM, but you lose some torque...
has the OP ever responded? does he / she like the pulleys? im interested to hear that persons opinion.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:47 AM
The original poster and I are good friends. He is the one who posted the dynos and is the same one who posted a few replies, including the one just a few replies above.

His car is an auto by the way, and as you can see there are gains to be had. You can see the baseline run and the pulley run on the same graph.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 AM
i never disagreed w/ the gains to be had - but im willing to bet they are more noticeable when he switches to mani-mode. cool - he's happy w/ them.
* * is there a difference between the 6mt cams and the 5at? - has anyone tried SWAPPING THEM? OCG35 - WHERE ARE YA; BUDDY?

Old 05-03-2007, 10:28 AM
he he he he

Old 05-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Something is really screwy with that dyno because those pullies are showing gains of 10whp+ in the midrange and 20wtq+ in the midrange. Peak numbers don't vary much, but that midrange gain is highly questionable. If pullies truely added all that power, then it would be the first mod people would do I believe the numbers are legit in that those are the numbers the car made, but IMO, what we're seeing is the first run (stock) which is always the lowest. As most of use know, a lot of VQ35s will pickup 5-8whp (usually in the midrange) as the car continues to make passes. I know most everyone will disagree with me on this, but I'm not buying it that pullies on these cars make 10whp+/20wtq+.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:17 PM
on a stock motor - i dont believe it also. to me - pulley's are really more of a " fine tune" type of mod ( compared to port / increased displacement etc.. )
as long as the OP is happy - i guess thats all that matters!

Old 05-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Yeah, you guys are right. This sheet must have been made in photoshop. Better yet they probably took some crayons and drew their own lines. You guys are right and no amount of evidence can show you otherwise.

I bow down to your supreme determination to not budge

Old 05-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Man, I can’t believe you guys actually let another pulley thread get this far... I tried to diffuse it earlier... it is the nature of the beast - the pulley debate will never end.

This could go another 20 pages (it has before).

Guys, no one will ever agree... you might as well just all agree to disagree 'cause this will never go anywhere. I promise.

No more from me

Old 05-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by j-champaco
i never disagreed w/ the gains to be had - but im willing to bet they are more noticeable when he switches to mani-mode. cool - he's happy w/ them.
* * is there a difference between the 6mt cams and the 5at? - has anyone tried SWAPPING THEM? OCG35 - WHERE ARE YA; BUDDY?
I'm definitely no expert but It's the exact same motor... yr for yr I can’t imagine the cams are any different. I believe the ECU could be set slightly dif MT vs AT but other than that should be the same.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:14 AM
As long as there is a goober out there who likes to copy and paste textbook physics to impress the teens while never actually using the product, there will always be dysfunction in the pulley debate.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed new NonStopTuning pulleys