Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Installed new NonStopTuning pulleys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed new NonStopTuning pulleys

Hello all, I was able to get my hands on a set of NonStopTuning prototype G35 pulleys since my buddy needed a G35 donor car. I just installed this set of underdrive pulleys on my 04' G35 automatic. In total, the kit came with 3 pulleys: 15% Underdrive Crank, 5% Underdrive WP, 15% Overdrive Alternator.

The weight difference between OEM and NST is a vast improvement, especially when holding the stock crank against the NST crank. Here are the specs:

OEM NST
Crank Pulley 100oz 23oz
Alternator Pulley 08oz 03oz
Water Pump Pulley 15oz 12oz

On the day of install, we did a before and after dyno. My car is totally bone stock besides the pulleys. I saw saw consistent HP and TQ gains all across the rpm band, from about 2000 rpm all the way to redline. It looks like most people with this mod seem to gain about 5whp and 5ft lbs of torque, and my numbers pretty much fell within this range also. I'll have the dyno sheets scanned in soon and will post them up.

After installing, the most noticable difference in driving experience is more sensitive throttle response. The accelerator pedal definately feels lighter when I hit the gas. I also noticed that it is much smoother transitioning when accelerating through the gears. All in all, I think this mod was well worth it and a good value.

Below are some pics of the pulleys and of my car on the dyno.

The car is completely stock. We did some before and after dynos on the car (dynojet) to see if there would be any noticeable gains. Blue lines are the OEM curves, Red lines are the NST curves. As you can see the lines have shifted up, meaning there is more of a usable power band now. Looking at the area under each curve clearly demonstrates more usable power after the NST pulley installation.

Dynos were done on the same day, using the same dyno. Temperatures were consistent and no changes were made to the car other than the pulley installation.

Sorry for the low quality of the image. I was hoping to get the actual files but I was unable to, so I just had to use my digital camera to snap a pic of the print out. Either way, the results are clearly visible.

Last edited by bigwhale; 05-02-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
You better watch out because that crank pulley doesn't appear to have a hardened steel sleeve. Over time, the aluminum will wear and the pulley will begin to wobble throwing the timing out of whack and could also potentially cause a catastrophic failure of the crank.

I am shocked at how many of the aftermarket companies continue to sell poorly engineered products. You'd think these companies would wise up after all the pulley failures that have occured due to lack of hardened sleeves.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:45 AM
I dont claim to be any expert, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I did a bit of searching and the KJR and UR pulleys do not seem to have a sleeve either. I have also done quite a bit of searching on these forums and I see a lot of people who have had great results with these pulleys so far...

I have been friends with the people over at NST for the past few years and I have seen and heard nothing but great things about their pulleys. I'm sure if such a sleeve is a necessity they will incorporate it into their design. I will bring this to their attention.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:51 AM
RPL
Originally Posted by DaveB
You better watch out because that crank pulley doesn't appear to have a hardened steel sleeve. Over time, the aluminum will wear and the pulley will begin to wobble throwing the timing out of whack and could also potentially cause a catastrophic failure of the crank.

I am shocked at how many of the aftermarket companies continue to sell poorly engineered products. You'd think these companies would wise up after all the pulley failures that have occured due to lack of hardened sleeves.
That happened on one of my DSMs waaay back - the pullies started to wobble, and as the pullies hit their surroundings, they started to wear down - eventually snapping in two. ~$3000 later, the car was up and running again... woot

Old 11-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by bigwhale
I dont claim to be any expert, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I did a bit of searching and the KJR and UR pulleys do not seem to have a sleeve either. I have also done quite a bit of searching on these forums and I see a lot of people who have had great results with these pulleys so far...

I have been friends with the people over at NST for the past few years and I have seen and heard nothing but great things about their pulleys. I'm sure if such a sleeve is a necessity they will incorporate it into their design. I will bring this to their attention.
Believe me. It's needs the sleeve for longterm reliability. The stock crank pulley even has a hardened sleeve. Have you checked my350z.com for the KJR "wobble".

Here is proof of a failed aftermarket pulley on a VQ35 which ended up killing the motor. See post #20.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...engine+failure

Old 11-28-2006, 03:01 PM
I haven't had any experience with the KJR or other smaller names lately, but I have personally used NST pulleys on several cars of mine over the past few years.

I have to say, their quality and craftsmanship is second to none, and their customer service absolutely rocks!

Their name is very popular in the Toyota (MR2) and Scion (tC) world. Do a quick pulley search on www.ScionLife.com and you will see their name all over the place! I have personally used their stuff on my older cars, over 100K, and never had any issues of any kind. I also know several other friends here in my area that use NST stuff on cars ranging from Civics, 240sx, tCs, etc. We have put a collective 500,000 miles or more on our cars over the past few years with these pulleys and have never had any issues.

Look at some of the cars that they have run in FormulaD or other drift events over the past few years. Would they put weak sauce products on these cars and take them out to these competitions only to look like morons in front of tons of people watching them?

I have to agree with you that in motorsports the rule of "you get what you pay for" definitely comes into play. I would never use a cheapo Ebay knockoff pulley or some kit made by a small brand known to have issues. But the NST stuff is top notch and I'm sure many of you guys will be using them once they are released. I know they are definitely on my radar as soon as they release them.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Nice. After seeing this title I first thought that this is about some kind of SelfTuning pulleys
How does this pulley compare to Fluidamper and does it void Infiniti warranty?

Old 12-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Fluidamper makes pulleys that are more similar to the OEM crank pulley in the way that they have their own style of "dampers" built in. These dampers are supposed to help with engine vibrations that could possibly occur over years and years and something crazy like 100,000 miles of use. Building pulleys of this design are very expensive and therefor their prices are much higher.

Honestly, I have been using NST pulleys (that have no damper) for years and years on many cars and have had no issues of any kind. I have always seen better throttle response and better performance. Just take a look on their site and look at all the applications they have listed. These guys are experts.

In short, the NST stuff is just as good as any other pulley on the market at a fraction of the cost.

And regarding warranty stuff, some dealers try to void your warranty for anything and everything under the sun. Look at your car funny, warranty voided. Bird poop on your hood, warranty voided.

There is an act out there which if I am not mistaken is called the Moss Act. It states that a dealer can not legally void any part of your warranty unless they can prove that the problem with your car was a direct result of your aftermarket modification.

Honestly though, I think it has a lot to do with your relationship with your dealer and service reps. I have taken my car to my dealer a few times for service and never had any problems with my dealer because I have a good relationship with them. Treat people with respect and show that you are not a jackass and they will not treat you like a jackass either

Old 04-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Just wanna update people on these pulleys after running them for 4 months now. Has anyone else had a chance to try these out also? I'm very happy with the product and the car has been running well with them on. Haven't run into any problems and gotta love the extra throttle response along w/the smoother gear shifts.

NST is coming on strong this year with another car on the drift circuit. Check out this AE86 w/full NST pulleys!

I'll probably be testing some other NST goodies in the near future as well. I'll report back on those as well. Maybe a radiator diversion panel, anyone interested?

Old 04-27-2007, 10:44 PM
are the pulleys larger ( in diameter ) ? just lighter? if larger - di dyou have to use a larger belt? did the crank pulley have a key?
just some questions - ive always been a fan og lighter / larger pulley's ( had one on my b18c1 - throttle response was def. crisp esp. w/ a lightened flywheel )

Old 04-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I always see people describing pulleys as giving "better throttle response"... pulleys don’t affect the throttle body, throttle plate, drive by wire, or anything else relating to throttle...

The "feel" from faster revs might be what you are referring to - but it does nothing to the throttle. The throttle is going to respond the same way it did before the pulley. Cleaning the TB on the other hand will give better throttle response! Also TS ECU addresses drive by wire and reprograms to give better throttle response. But the pulley won’t.

(this is not directed at any one person, because it was mentioned more than once here - and elsewhere - it gives some people the wrong impression).

Old 04-28-2007, 03:11 PM
I had a UDP on my old VQ30 Maxima 5MT and I can attest to the fact that it does indeed improve throttle response. The reason being the reduced rotational weight of the rotating assembly. With being said, the better throttle response can easily be mistaken for more power. On the dyno, my VQ30 didn't gain a single hp nor show any improvement in 1/4 ET or MPH over about 40 passes at the same track. I removed it and immediately noticed better driveability and easier control on both a normal launch and a full throttle launch.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by OCG35
I always see people describing pulleys as giving "better throttle response"... pulleys don’t affect the throttle body, throttle plate, drive by wire, or anything else relating to throttle...

The "feel" from faster revs might be what you are referring to - but it does nothing to the throttle. The throttle is going to respond the same way it did before the pulley. Cleaning the TB on the other hand will give better throttle response! Also TS ECU addresses drive by wire and reprograms to give better throttle response. But the pulley won’t.

(this is not directed at any one person, because it was mentioned more than once here - and elsewhere - it gives some people the wrong impression).
throttle as in gas pedal / throttle..not better " throttle body" response!
kinda like when someone says " give it more gas..give it more throttle"....BUT YOURE RIGHT - TECHNICALLY SPEAKING.

Last edited by j-champaco; 04-28-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:10 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I had a UDP on my old VQ30 Maxima 5MT and I can attest to the fact that it does indeed improve throttle response. The reason being the reduced rotational weight of the rotating assembly. With being said, the better throttle response can easily be mistaken for more power. On the dyno, my VQ30 didn't gain a single hp nor show any improvement in 1/4 ET or MPH over about 40 passes at the same track. I removed it and immediately noticed better driveability and easier control on both a normal launch and a full throttle launch.
“reduced rotational weight of rotating assembly” from a crank pulley does not make your throttle respond better. It might make your motor rev faster - and "feel lighter" but the “throttle” is responding the same way it always did.

you didn't understand my post... apparently j-champaco did to an extent.

BTW, Dave - why does nearly every explanation you give (whether valid or not) include your experiences from your Maxima?... that gets annoying (and I know I’m not the only one who thinks so).

Last edited by OCG35; 04-29-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:57 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
This pulley debate is not making it easier for me to decide

As of now, everything seems to be opinionated. I have not seen any "proof" as of how it affects our VQ's.

The question is, should I take a chance or not? It seems to be that only a handful of people have short term problems. Long term, who knows?

But I would only take me chances on well known products such as UR & KJR.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed new NonStopTuning pulleys