Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

what i must do now???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 02:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on just a couple of n/a mods not making much of a difference.

BTW, what do you consider to be fast? These cars are not designed for a dragstrip if that's what you're looking for. They're heavy as hell (almost 4200 lb curb weight) and have more drivetrain power loss than any other car I've seen.

But it's the most fun-to-drive car I've ever owned.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i will buy buddy club system ...

Old 12-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
have more drivetrain power loss than any other car ?

RWD do have more frictional losses than FWD usally 2-2.5% [due to drive shaft and the way the differential functions] but that's about it with modern designs.

Also the higher the transmitted torque thru a gear mess the greater the percentage of loss since the mesh has to be beefier [larger in area] to avoid failure.

The more power you make the larger amount goes to heat the attached driveline components.

Frictional losses thru wheels tires to the road interface surface are always the highest percent........as you increase power the tires just lose more and more and more.

Always a good idea to pull the engine and dyno it to see if it even comes close to published rating [without accesories]. Always lots of difference between an engine as installed and connected in a vehicle vs an engine dyno.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dTor
These cars are not designed for a dragstrip if that's what you're looking for. They're heavy as hell (almost 4200 lb curb weight) and have more drivetrain power loss than any other car I've seen.
Huh These cars weigh in the neighborhood of 3,400-3,500lbs. You must be thinking gross vehicle weight which is the max weight the car can hold plus the weight of the car.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:20 PM
guys i bought the buddy club consider, when i put it in my car today the blue light inside the box allways lighting also when i turn the engine off !!!!???? it stile lighting

does this normal ??

Old 12-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Huh These cars weigh in the neighborhood of 3,400-3,500lbs. You must be thinking gross vehicle weight which is the max weight the car can hold plus the weight of the car.
Oops, my mistake. I was thinking of GVW.

Still, I think 3500 lbs. is a bit porky for a sports car.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
have more drivetrain power loss than any other car ?

RWD do have more frictional losses than FWD usally 2-2.5% [due to drive shaft and the way the differential functions] but that's about it with modern designs.

Also the higher the transmitted torque thru a gear mess the greater the percentage of loss since the mesh has to be beefier [larger in area] to avoid failure.

The more power you make the larger amount goes to heat the attached driveline components.

Frictional losses thru wheels tires to the road interface surface are always the highest percent........as you increase power the tires just lose more and more and more.

Always a good idea to pull the engine and dyno it to see if it even comes close to published rating [without accesories]. Always lots of difference between an engine as installed and connected in a vehicle vs an engine dyno.
I understand all of that (well put, btw); my point was that in my experience our cars seem to have more driveline power loss than other RWD (I didn't specify RWD before) cars I've dealt with, mostly Corvettes. From the limited data we have on here, it seems that 25% loss on a 5AT is about par, give or take 3 or 4%. It's typically agreed that a Vette (be it L98, LT1, or LS1) experiences about 18% loss on an auto tranny (700R4/4L60E), and about 13% for 6MT. I've also read in several places that this is "typical" for other common RWD platforms - Camaros/Firebirds, Mustangs. On the latter two platforms, I'm speaking based second hand info from others and not any research I've personally done, but the Corvette %s are based on what I've seen (dyno #s of other people's Vettes) and what I've been involved in discussions about.

Of course there are going to be variations of every sort, but on a very general basis, you can see that, for whatever reason(s), our drivetrains seem to require more oomph to get them spinning than others.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I think 25% is too high.

20% is about right for the G 5AT.

18% for the 6MT.

Based on stock dynos and published #s...

Old 12-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a G-tech, Dyno it or take it to a Drag Strip...
You can't rely on your judjment of how fast the car is, got to look at real factual numbers......
I had an sc400 with mods and that car defenetly felt faster than my 03 sedan but it was actualy a bit slower.......

Old 12-31-2006, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by rcdash
I think 25% is too high.

20% is about right for the G 5AT.

18% for the 6MT.

Based on stock dynos and published #s...

I am basing it on published #s vs. dynos. Let me see if I can find some links.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:40 AM
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...highlight=dyno

https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...34&postcount=6

Here are some that I pulled up with a search for "dyno". Please note that they are mostly within the 25% +/- 4% that I stated earlier. Again, with varying atmospheric and mechanical conditions, there is never going to be a spot-on calculation of driveline loss, but nevertheless it does seem to be greater than other RWD vehicles.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:54 AM
guys i bought the buddy club consider, when i put it in my car today the blue light inside the box allways lighting also when i turn the engine off !!!!???? it stile lighting

does this normal ????

plzzz

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.