Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

How much hp will i gain?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
LMAO!

KesterG,
A couple questions...
-Which Kinetix plenum do you have? If it's the SSV, you're actually losing horsepower with a NA setup. I made the mistake of believing the lofty dyno BS posted on the Kinetix website for the SSV and should have done more research before I got it.

-No dyno near you? Where are you at (your profile and your post doesn't say)? Maybe somebody on this forum can help you out with that.

About your original question...
It all depends on the tuning to get the most out of your mods. Hopefully, you got it from your Unichip. I would recommend the Technosquare ECU flash instead. Tadashi at Technosquare has different programs for different mods.

Don't expect any huge horsepower gains while your still NA. With your mods, I'd guesstimate that you would gain approximately 20-25whp max with a good tune. If you want significantly more power, you'll have to go forced induction.
just the upper kinetix plenum..lol

haha yeah i am located in vancouver, bc..
i am not sure if there is a shop can do the dyno...

Old 01-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check the canadian forum. there are lots of guys around there that know where to go

Old 01-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by filanj
~Incorrect! He is talking about having everything tuned with his unichip which changes everything. Normally without tuning the SSV will "kill" hp, but with proper tuning.. (according to the Kinetix Rep) you will be able to to maximize NA gains out of the SSV. (RudeG... did you have your car tuned with a UNIchip or UTEC? I'd be REALLY surprised if you saw a lose with one of them. let me know if you did and which because that would be good to know)

Although, if there is no dyno in your area where do you expect to get everything tuned?

You should post your area. Maybe someone near you knows where a close dyno is located.

You should not see gains less than that with a proper tune. There are quite a few people on here that have already gone the same track that you have gone. I always start looking at people SIGs when looking for info. try that

(PS RudeG.... even if you are feeling gloom about the SSV now...just wait for that TT dream to come true (hopefully soon) and you'll be loving it )
Filanj,

Thanks for the advice, but here's my experience with the SSV.

I got my car tuned at Technosquare. Tadashi told me I was making less power than stock and made several attempts to correct the situation. They did several dyno runs, but were not able to bring it up to stock levels... and this was with a Z-tube & JWT POP charger intake installed. Tadashi said they had a couple other Z/G cars come in there with the Kinetix SSV and had the same problem. In all cases, the cars were running rich air/fuel ratio. They verified that there were no vacuum leaks. Tadashi has programs for many different plenum & intake setups (5/16 spacer, 1/2 spacer, APS Tallboy, Crawford, etc.) and said he is able to get positive gains (above stock) with all of them. He said the Kinetix SSV is the only one they have had problems with.

Given my experience at Technosquare, I had the SSV removed and put my stock plenum back on. I then did my research on this forum and learned all the negative being said about this plenum in NA applications. I consulted SGP Racing and they said they have had issues with the plenum coming apart when they ran more than 10PSI of boost, so I really don't want the SSV for a FI application either.

I do intend to go twin turbo someday, but I'm waiting to see a couple new plenums coming out soon... the Cosworth plenum and another plenum that I have inside info about that I can't talk about.

I don't intend to hold on to my Kinetix SSV, because I find their business practices to be unethical (and something better is on the horizon). That dyno chart they show on their website for NA application should be accompanied with a notice that the numbers/gains were achieved with tuning on a Unichip, UTEC, or other ECU upgrade.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 01-28-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by KesterG
bought the unichip from a guy from 350z.com and will receive within two weeks.

going to tune with those mods, so yeah after i tune it
i will get 20 whp?
with tune it is very possible.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So 20whp. How much time will that shave off 0-60? It seems like alot of money for very little gain.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by kiwijunglist
Hi,

I've got a similar question. I have a 2006 6MT coupe. How much hp will I gain if I dump my girlfriend? (she weighs 57kg).
^ wahahahaha this guy is funny....man i actually didn't expect something like that

Old 02-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by KesterG
i have grounding kit, injein Cai, kitentix plenum, crawford header, FastIntentions test pipe, borla cat-back, and unichips.

how much hp will i gain? just curious...
since there is no shop can do the dyno for me around here..

thanks!

the injen cai will give you 1-5 hp..

plenum..no idea..

headers...heh im sure some would disagree but I dont think we get anything out of headers

test pipes.. again not to much id say 5-10

cat back- 20-35hp

unichip...no clue

hope that helps some what

good luck!

Old 02-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TheTick
So 20whp. How much time will that shave off 0-60? It seems like alot of money for very little gain.
Man... All of these questions just get so annoying. No offense, but why would you care about your 0-60?

1/4 miles are so much important; 0-60 dont prove anything.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Man... All of these questions just get so annoying. No offense, but why would you care about your 0-60?

1/4 miles are so much important; 0-60 dont prove anything.

No offense, but it's so annoying when people judge you for what kind of performance you prefer. I care about 0-60 cause i don't spend alot of time at the drag strip and don't care to do 1/4 mile runs on city streets.

But I'll humor you...forget 0-60. How much time will all these mods shave off 1/4 mile times? Back in the day when I was more into modding cars, a general rule of thumb was .1 sec off 1/4 mile time for every 10hp for cars under 200hp. That was a long time ago though. Thats why I ask.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
No offense, but it's so annoying when people judge you for what kind of performance you prefer. I care about 0-60 cause i don't spend alot of time at the drag strip and don't care to do 1/4 mile runs on city streets.

But I'll humor you...forget 0-60. How much time will all these mods shave off 1/4 mile times? Back in the day when I was more into modding cars, a general rule of thumb was .1 sec off 1/4 mile time for every 10hp for cars under 200hp. That was a long time ago though. Thats why I ask.

You don't need be in a drag strip to care about 1/4 miles.

You can be in the freeway, and feel the huge difference between 14.5 to 13.5. The 1/4 trap speed is as important too.

I'd rather have a great top-end engine than a great "0-60" engine. It's not like if I launch off every stop light...

I love feeling the pull of mid-to-top-end power.

In my opinion, judging a vehicle by 0-60 times is a horrible idea. There are too many things to factor in such as [AWD, RWD] drive, tires, and the driver ofcourse

Last edited by Skaterbasist; 02-02-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

unless u go through clutches every 5k then u don't care about 0-60 times.
0-60 is ghey and always will be.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
unless u go through clutches every 5k then u don't care about 0-60 times.
0-60 is ghey and always will be.
I really don't race much on the highway or spend time on the track. But I would love to have a bit more power off the line on occasion. Not sure why you think thats ghey, but I'm sorry you feel that way.

So approx how much time we shaving off 1/4 mile with all these mods? I just wanted a ballpark number.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
You don't need be in a drag strip to care about 1/4 miles.

You can be in the freeway, and feel the huge difference between 14.5 to 13.5. The 1/4 trap speed is as important too.

I'd rather have a great top-end engine than a great "0-60" engine. It's not like if I launch off every stop light...

I love feeling the pull of mid-to-top-end power.

In my opinion, judging a vehicle by 0-60 times is a horrible idea. There are too many things to factor in such as [AWD, RWD] drive, tires, and the driver ofcourse

Of course you would feel a huge difference between 14.5 to 13.5. I'm guessing you would probably need over 150hp for that kind of gain. I was just curious as to what these bolt on's do these days. So maybe shave .2 sec off 1/4 mile? Or am I way off?