Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

people use Mobil 1 syn oil..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I use Mobil 1 5W30 and the Mobil 1 P-108 filter. I change it every 5000 miles. I use virtually NO oil between changes. I changed last Friday and ran the Dog $hit out of it all weekend in the Raging Bull Texas Stampede, didn't use a drop. I have 43K on it so far.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mobil1 10w 30 oil and Mobil1 filter. I change it every 3,500 miles. I drive in mostly city traffic.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:17 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
mobil 1 4k

Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just changed into mobile syn and pure-one. I don't know how much better it is than stock yet...

Old 01-31-2007, 11:01 AM

i use the mobile one synth oil and mobile one oil filter as well and usally go from 4-6k before the chng even tho they say u can go 15k

Old 01-31-2007, 12:44 PM
whats up ken?

i use the OEM filter... i "try" to change the oil around 3k

Old 01-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You always want to use a OEM filter with Mobil 1 (or any good oil); the OEM filter was designed specifically for your car and has been extensively tested with the engine. NON-OEM filters are made for multiple applications and even though they work I would never use them.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Actually if you look at your oem filter, they often fit multiple cars, not just yours and often not just your particular motor. So your logic is not quite valid

Originally Posted by TRIG
You always want to use a OEM filter with Mobil 1 (or any good oil); the OEM filter was designed specifically for your car and has been extensively tested with the engine. NON-OEM filters are made for multiple applications and even though they work I would never use them.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
M1 15,000 mile 15W50

Change every ~4k 6.5qts are not cheap!

Old 01-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
The same (OEM) filter is used on lots of NISSAN products.

Someone mentioned about valvetrain noise when first starting in the morning. Once they went to a different brand of filter (with the anti-drain back valve) it stopped. I too noticed this.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Actually if you look at your oem filter, they often fit multiple cars, not just yours and often not just your particular motor. So your logic is not quite valid

I should have clarified my point more concisely, and also should have simplified my first sentence to say:

You always want to use a OEM filter with Mobil 1 (or any good oil); the OEM filter was designed and tested specifically for your engine.

I think by putting "car" in the original statement, I mislead readers from my empirical point.

When Nissan develops an engine, they take an oil filter, weather newly designed or from their existing inventory, and extensively test the filter with the engine. The OEM pairing is tested to a certain predetermined spec. So, if you change the out OEM filter and put on a, let’s say, WIX (which is known to use heavy filtration, it mightchange the tolerances i.e. oil temps, oil pressure, oil flow/cir, etc. just enough to affect the performance and/or life of your engine. By this point of virtue why not use a filter that you know has been tested extensively for your engine by the company that made your engine.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:54 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Actually I also said "not just for your motor" indicating I already covered the "engine" statement also.

If you look at the box, oem nissan filters often cover not only your engine but other engines in the nissan line. So, nissan isn't THAT specific with their oil/air filter designs.

And to quantify that statement, there have been numerous EOA's done on Nissan engines w/ different oils/filters that prove good aftermarket filters are not only adequate but often better than oem.

I should have clarified my point more concisely, and also should have simplified my first sentence to say:

You always want to use a OEM filter with Mobil 1 (or any good oil); the OEM filter was designed and tested specifically for your engine.

I think by putting "car" in the original statement, I mislead readers from my empirical point.

When Nissan develops an engine, they take an oil filter, weather newly designed or from their existing inventory, and extensively test the filter with the engine. The OEM pairing is tested to a certain predetermined spec. So, if you change the out OEM filter and put on a, let’s say, WIX (which is known to use heavy filtration, it mightchange the tolerances i.e. oil temps, oil pressure, oil flow/cir, etc. just enough to affect the performance and/or life of your engine. By this point of virtue why not use a filter that you know has been tested extensively for your engine by the company that made your engine.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The OEM filter is used by more engines than just the VQ though, thats the point, your only argument is thus invalid. Aftermarket filters are designed based off the OEM specs with improvements, but are only used on the same engines are the OEM filter is. The PL14610 is only specified for NISSAN engines. Nissan doesn't even make its own filters, they are just rebadged filters from another manufacture. You've been brainwashed into thinking there is something special about the OEM filter

Old 01-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
mobil 1 5w-30 every 3500 miles with mobil 1 synthetic filter!

-sean

Old 01-31-2007, 03:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if this was the case then it should apply to all aspects of the engine design including fluids, so you shouldn't even be using Mobil1, should use Nissan fluids only. Of course this does apply for the trans which needs to be Nissan.

I use Mobil1 oil 10w30 and Mobil1 filters and change at 5k intervals.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: people use Mobil 1 syn oil..