Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

What's the best way to get 300 hp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best way to get 300 hp?

So we start off at 280 hp at the flywheel. Seems to me the magic number of 300 isn't that far away. So what kind of parts do I need to bolt on to get there?

I've got a Z intake tube coming, which is supposed to be around 5 hp. Total 285 (15 to go)

The right exhaust should give you a couple more hp, like around 7?

Those are simple bolt-ons, so what next? Would the technosquare CPU upgrade get me there?

I'd like to do this without tearing into the engine for the best value, and without nitrous.

Let me know what you think.

Old 12-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Re: What's the best way to get 300 hp?

Next ... crawford intake plenum and you are there.

Crawford Plenum / Z tube + Stillen Hi-Flow / Borla Dual Exhaust / Stillen Xdrilled+Stotted Rotors
Best 1/4 mile 14.371 @ 100.29, 60ft 2.347

Old 12-04-2003, 03:32 PM

How many hp is the Crawford intake good for?

Old 12-04-2003, 03:41 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Borla TD exhaust, Crawford Plenum, Grounding Kit, and soon to arrive K&N CAI. I should be right around 300 hp maybe a tad more.
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 12-04-2003, 04:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From your post I assume you mean 300hp from the flywheel. 300hp from the rear wheels need some more cash to buy bigger mods.

Old 12-04-2003, 04:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you're talking peak horsepower, Crawford's plenum is (supposed to be) good for about 9hp. The 20hp figure that some people mention is (supposed to be) its gain at redline, but apparently whatever that totals at redline is less than 289hp. Price is $500.

Borla's true dual exhaust averages around 8hp, but there's been a huge discrepency in dynos. I've seen as high as 24hp and as low as *negative* 4hp. These numbers are from 350Z dynos, by the way. Borla originally claimed that it added 20hp. The car they developed it on was an AT 350Z Touring (they just lengthened the far end of the pipes for the G), and there's some circumstantial evidence out there that ATs benefit much more from this exhaust than MTs (the very biggest dynos are ATs, the very lowest MTs), but I don't think that makes any logical sense, especially since you're not actually shifting on the dyno. On the other hand, my worst 1/4 mile time after installing the Borla on my AT G35 Coupe was 0.3 seconds better than my best pre-Borla time, so I'd bet I'm getting more than 8hp, but there could be alot of other factors involved. Anyway, price is around $700.

CAIs. I don't have one and am suspicious of any CAI dyno's validity (the engine compartment is going to be hotter than usual on a dyno because there's no air rushing in through the front grill, which will exaggerate the effectiveness of moving the intake further away and below the engine compartment), but supposedly these are once again around the 9hp mark. Figure around $200, depending on the brand. However, you'd have to toss out your 350Z intake tube.

Grounding kit. Maybe 2hp at most. $75.

I don't know anything about the aftermarket chips. The headers don't seem to do much, but I didn't look closely since I might go turbo someday.

Or you could just go nitrous. That'll get you past 300hp instantly.

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

Old 12-04-2003, 06:13 PM

Here's what I did on my brand new 04 cpe 6MT

1. Z-tube: dyno's show about 4-5 hp
2. Crawford Plenum: 8-9 hp peak
3. HT high flow cats: maybe 6-7 hp
4. Borla TD exhaust: about 7 hp
5. TS ECU flash: mainly to get the A/F right, maybe 7 hp

So, that totals about 30 hp but I'll be happy if the dyno show's 20 hp gain. I was too impatient to get a base line dyno done before adding these mods. I put them all on the car after only 200 miles. I have 700 now. When I reach 1000-1200 I'll be putting it on a brand new dynajet with A/F measurement. Assuming most people's base line dynos are reading in the 230 whp range I'm hoping to show around 250 whp. Doug at CrawfordZCar has the same mods as I do plus headers and he's getting about 263 whp on a dynajet. But, who really knows. There are so many different variables that go into dyno readings.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:34 PM

you can get 300 at the flywheel easy...

if our stock g's pull around 280 at the flywheel and 240 +- 5 at the wheels, then adding a z tube, cold air intake, grounding kit, and ecu or exhaust would throw you over.
Most mods list the hp gains at the wheel so if an exhaust lists 7-9hp at the wheel it puts out prob. ~13 at the flywheel... this goes with the rest of mods...

So if you want to say you have 300+ at the flywheel just a few mods can kick you up to that, but remember you can't simply add the numbers together to get the total... "ricer math"

Peace
-Eric

'03.5 Silver/Black | Prem | Perf | Aero | Stillen Hi-Flow | Z -Tube | Grounding Kit | Nismo Oil/Radiator Caps | Solid Allum Pedals | Diamond Matts | Tints | Valentine1 | Hide-Away License Plate!

Old 12-04-2003, 07:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL "ricer math" eric...I love when people do that...

"All the Power in the World resides in the Eyes..."

Old 12-04-2003, 08:27 PM

...ricer math... Hahaha! That's good.

Actually, I believe certain groups of parts may be added as a module, producing a synergisitic affect where the total gain of the resultant module is greater than the sum of its parts. If you install a CAI, Z-tube, Plenum, headers, hi-flo cats, and a cat-back exhaust system, the HP gain will probably be more than the sum of the HP gains produced by each part alone.

Anybody agree with that?

'03 G35 5AT Sedan, Garnet Fire/Willow
18x8 SSR GT1/Bridgestone S03/Eibach

Old 12-04-2003, 11:26 PM

Yeah,
its all possible... it depends on the engine, trans., etc. and how well they take the parts... sometimes one mod will amplify another mods ability to produce ponies

Peace
-Eric

'03.5 Silver/Black | Prem | Perf | Aero | Stillen Hi-Flow | Z -Tube | Grounding Kit | Nismo Oil/Radiator Caps | Solid Allum Pedals | Diamond Matts | Tints | Valentine1 | Hide-Away License Plate!

Old 12-05-2003, 12:09 AM

"Racer math" that's a good one bullseye... LOL

Chris

Old 12-05-2003, 04:20 AM

From what ive seen people seen gains when they advanced the timing one to two degrees on any VQ35DE engine...but that means that you cant run any lower than 93 octane or 91 in the west coast.

Another thing i could think of is port and polish your intake manifold.

Shift_DEZ' NUTS
www.midnightimpulse.com

Old 12-05-2003, 04:50 AM

I say LOTS and LOTS of stickers. But try to go with real name brand sponsors like TIDE or KMART.

- Don't argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.=P-

Old 12-05-2003, 10:13 AM

Cool,
I think I'll try the stickers first! I'm sure that'll put me over 300 instantly (who needs NOS).

Really, I think the regular tricks of a simple intake upgrade, like the Z tube, a better exhaust, and a recalibrated CPU should get me pretty close. I might try the Crawford later if I need more punch.

My theory on hp addition is that it can be more or less than the sum of the parts. Combustion engines are very complicated devices that are controlled by even more complicated computers. The computer is programmed to operate the mechanical device based on the parts that are in it. Adding a new mechanical part without changing the programming will never yeild the maximum results. Conversely, just upgrading the programming will also not yeild optimum results.

Ideally, you could modify the programming with each change in the mechanical system, but that really isn't practical for most people. Our only hope is that the new program offered by tuners such as Technosquare will take advantage of all the improved characteristics that new mechanicl parts provide. I'm not sure if this is true, but appears to be our only option at the moment to optimize the engine as a whole.

Thanks for everyone's 2 cents. You've basically confirmed what I was thinking and now can move on with making my G even better!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the best way to get 300 hp?