Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Mobil 1 Oil users

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
oil threads are useless. The amount of BS and biased opinions thrown around is incredible.

For me, M1 0W40 is all I use in the G.
I have only used M1 in my G since day one and not a lick of consumption issues before or after going TT. My compression is still within 1psi of stock on all cylinders.

I recently switched to Motul (standard AAM shop fill) but will be awaiting a UOA before I switch for good or not. Hopefully the results will prove its not worth the extra money. We'll see.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this thread has so much bias and is so heavily opinionated is not even funny. Mobil 1 is a good oil like someone else said if it didn't meet or exceed the engineers standard they wouldn't allow it in their engines. Every EVO I know only use MObil 1 running 25-28PSI and they don't have any problems, the VQ engines is not in that kind of stress and pressure. So if mobile 1 is good enough for probably one of the best turbo-4 engines ever crafted running insane amounts of pressure than its good enough for an n/a engine. For those of you that use Mobil 1 keep using it don't listen to some guy that goes around to many forums posting the same crap about mobil 1, castrol and all this other stuff. I dont think a brand that has made its name by having superior oil will risk their reputation by downgrading their quality.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
The realities are that oil type is just one factor on engine life (possibly not the most critical)-- more important may be the oil filter quality (Fram Vs. Pure One vs. Mobil 1 vs Supertech, etc.), how you drive, where you live (dusty vs. humid vs. highway vs city vs high altitude), how frequently you change your air filter, gas grade used, how often you throttle your car, and other variables.

We have 3 Volvos with a combined mileage of >1.2 million miles (w/o any engine or drivetrain work), I seriously doubt any 3 G's here will attain this type of mileage, whether they use Mobil 1, Amsoil, PP, Castrol or whichever oil fulfills a need to be right!

Too much heat and not enough light in this discussion!

Last edited by Infiniti Chica; 06-19-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti Chica
The realities are that oil type is just one factor on engine life (possibly not the most critical)-- more important may be the oil filter quality (Fram Vs. Pure One vs. Mobil 1 vs Supertech, etc.), how you drive, where you live (dusty vs. humid vs. highway vs city vs high altitude), how frequently you change your air filter, gas grade used, how often you throttle your car, and other variables.

We have 3 Volvos with a combined mileage of >1.2 million miles (w/o any engine or drivetrain work), I seriously doubt any 3 G's here will attain this type of mileage, whether they use Mobil 1, Amsoil, PP, Castrol or whichever oil fulfills a need to be right!

Too much heat and not enough light in this discussion!
True regarding the oil being just one factor in the life of an engine.

However, why do you "...seriously doubt any 3G's here will attain this type of mileage..." wrt your 3 Volvo's having more than 1.2 million miles, without any engine or drivetrain work?