Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

New 04 6MT Sedan - Where do I start Wrenching??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 04 6MT Sedan - Where do I start Wrenching??

Hey everyone!

After turning wrenches on Mustangs for the past decade+ (3 Cobras and a fleet of LX 5.0's), I decided to get a "big boy" car with 4 doors as a daily driver! After test driving just about everything, the hands-down winner was the G35. I pick up my 6MT G35 sedan (slathered in diamond graphite paint!) on Thursday and can't wait to take it apart! :-)

I've been following the threads of GurgenPB and others...glad to see there are some knowledgeable, fun people in this forum.

One of the things that attracted me to the G35 was the aftermarket, and the fact that this thing really is a 4 door Z car. What a great foundation!

Once I get 1K miles on the car, I am going to hit Paul's Automotive here in Cincy and get some chassis dyno baseline numbers. Then I'll start trying parts, and posting dyno results from each thing I try. Here's my gameplan for mods...any opinions?

1. K&N in a modified stock housing - At least with my Cobra, a K&N filter in a modified stock airbox was almost as good as an aftermarket CAI...and WAY cheaper.

2. Cat-back exhaust system - Loved GurgenPB's pics of the Stillen system. Will shop around and see what's out there. I see Borla systems also discussed.

3. Underdrive pullies - Who makes them for the G35?

4. EEC/ECM/Chip - Would like to see who has the capability to burn one on the dyno, vs. trying some off the shelf set-up. Anyone spent the dyno time to do this? What chip did you use to write your own program?

5. Brakes - Anyone upgraded the sedan to the coupe's front rotors and 4 piston brembos? If so, where did you get the parts and how much $? Stock master cylinder and brake booster or did you change this as well?

Thanks everyone!

-- Mike

'04 G35 6MT Sedan
Diamond Graphite

Old 12-17-2003, 12:05 AM
Re: New 04 6MT Sedan - Where do I start Wrenching??

Hello. Welcome to the forums. You sound eager and excited. Well, let's get started then.
K&N only makes either a drop in or a CAI. No airbox.
Underdrive pullies, unorthodox makes some.
There have been ECU proven dyno's. Just do a search you'll see all of the tests. But there are only two or three makers. There's Technosquare, Nismo, and one more I can't remember.
Haven't done the brake, as I already have the brembos. :-)
Well, have fun. Good luck.

'04 G35 6MT Ivory Pearl
K&N Drop In / Stillen Grounding Kit
Borla Headers/Dual Cat-Back Exhaust
Nismo Front Bumper/Side Skirts
Impul Rear Bumper/Spoiler
AirSplat.com for AirSoft Guns!

Old 12-17-2003, 01:16 PM
Re: New 04 6MT Sedan - Where do I start Wrenching??

I would wait for an Apex'i PowerFC or some other "better" ECU product. I'm not all that thrilled with how the technosquare sounds. Especially since there's no daughterboard (it seems like you can't program it yourself).

The Nismo ECU is obviously a good bet, but still might be conservative. Does anyone have numbers/results from one?

The Impul ECU is hideously expensive, but supposedly puts down good numbers.

www.dgtrials.com -- Your US Drifting Authority =)