Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil Smells Like Gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2007 | 05:17 PM
it is normal.......don't worry about it.

Old 05-20-2007 | 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by HomieG35
Well, the whole car smells like gas.. but thats another story.

What makes your oil smell like gas? A lot of blow by? Does that mean ring lands are going? Car doesn't smoke [except some black at WOT] and occasional blue puff on start up [no catch can].

TIA

What does it taste like???

Old 05-20-2007 | 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by HomieG35
Well, the whole car smells like gas.. but thats another story.

What makes your oil smell like gas? A lot of blow by? Does that mean ring lands are going? Car doesn't smoke [except some black at WOT] and occasional blue puff on start up [no catch can].

TIA
Could be any one of, or a combination of problems causing this. If you are very familair with automtive repair, you can attempt to diagnose it yourself, but if not I'd strongly recommend taking it to a professional automotive technician ASAP, before your engine might become a very large paperweight. Please note: diagnosing vehicle problems does not mean going down to the discount auto parts store and continuing to buy parts and replacing said parts until by default, the problem is remedied. This is an extremely wasteful manner in which to, "repair", a vehicle, both in money and time.

If there is that heavy of an odor of gas in your oil, I'd recommend changing the oil ASAP. Oil that is heavily contaminated with gas has its lubricating ability cut to almost nothing and all the engine bearings and other wear surfaces will experience extremely rapid wear to the point where it can destroy your engine. For the best engine protection, I'd recommend using a leading synthetic oil: AMSOIL, Mobil 1, Red Line.

Black smoke out the exhaust = unburned fuel/too rich conidition.
Blue smoke out the exhaust = oil being burned.

I hope this has been of some help. Good luck with it.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.
Distributing industry leading AMSOIL synthetic lubricants for 19 years

Old 05-20-2007 | 05:41 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
How is your mileage? Bad? Gas in oil really dilutes it. So chaning it is important. If I had to guess, I'd say you have one or more leaking injector o-rings, letting gas around the injector vs though it. This is unmetered gas and can cause what you are smelling. If the o-ring is leaky, it's letting in gas into the combustion chamber all the time.

Old 05-21-2007 | 10:14 AM
Research the evaporation temperature of gasoline................oil usually gets to 200-220F after 15 minutes of driving.

Old 05-24-2007 | 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
Research the evaporation temperature of gasoline................oil usually gets to 200-220F after 15 minutes of driving.
Fuel can indeed be present in the oil, which is why oil analysis laboratories test for the presence of fuel in the oil to determine if the oil is suitable for continued use or not.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.
Distributing industry leading AMSOIL synthetic lubricants for 19 years