Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

engine vibration/shake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allenzi35
All I did was take the service man for a ride and it did it's thing while Infiniti was in the car, first thing they did was reset and reflash the TCM. Its been 3k since and it has never got the shakes once. I wish I knew how to reset the TCM like the ECU.
Interesting...sounds like they know about the problem. I have a feeling that if I take it in, they're gonna blame the supercharger.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aero
Interesting...sounds like they know about the problem. I have a feeling that if I take it in, they're gonna blame the supercharger.
What kind of blower is it? If it's the Stillen, they'll cover the warranty items, if not...ouch..sorry man...you may not be able sit for a while.

Rick

Old 09-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
What kind of blower is it? If it's the Stillen, they'll cover the warranty items, if not...ouch..sorry man...you may not be able sit for a while.

Rick
Vortech. It hasn't been too bad since I got the transmission cooler installed, but it would be nice to get the root cause fixed. The service manager at my dealership is pretty cool, if other dealerships know about the problem, I may be able to work something out. After all, if it's the TCM software, the supercharger couldn't have caused the problem - it definitely worsened it, but the faulty software is the issue - mods or not.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aero
Vortech. It hasn't been too bad since I got the transmission cooler installed, but it would be nice to get the root cause fixed. The service manager at my dealership is pretty cool, if other dealerships know about the problem, I may be able to work something out. After all, if it's the TCM software, the supercharger couldn't have caused the problem - it definitely worsened it, but the faulty software is the issue - mods or not.
Well..all I can say is good luck at the dealer. Do they already know you have a blower on the car? If they do, then just take it there. If not, I'd possibly see what other route you can take before spilling the beans on it.

Where are you located?

Rick

Old 09-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Well..all I can say is good luck at the dealer. Do they already know you have a blower on the car? If they do, then just take it there. If not, I'd possibly see what other route you can take before spilling the beans on it.

Where are you located?

Rick
I don't think I'll have any problems with them. I'm pretty assertive when it comes to stuff like this. Given Allenzi35's feedback, I'm wondering if they quietly developed a fix for this. I can't see how reloading the same faulty software would resolve the problem, they probably loaded new software.

So just a summary, based on my research and observations, and Allenzi35's experience...

Problem: faulty transmission control module (TCM) software on 06+ 5ATs causes the torque converter to lock up and the car shakes violently for a few seconds. Typically happens while cruising at ~40 MPH (~64 KPH), especially going uphill or over bumpy roads. It can happen on flat roads though. The visible sign is the shifter shaking back and forth.

Fix: have the dealership reset (possibly reflash) the TCM.
Partial fix (particularly for FI): install a transmission cooler and extend the time window during which the TCM increases line pressure, which seems to significantly reduce the frequency of lockup.