Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

CARB legal papers for the cops..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
CARB legal papers for the cops..

Anyone have them for their exhausts? I remember a few years back, they gave out stickers, paperwork, etc to give to cops if they got pulled over. If anyone can scan it and post it, that would be great.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You dont need CARB cert for catback exhaust. As long as it isnt louder than 95db, you should be fine.

When you start messing with your cats is when you will need a CARB letter...good luck on that one.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by xxg35driverxx
You dont need CARB cert for catback exhaust. As long as it isnt louder than 95db, you should be fine.

When you start messing with your cats is when you will need a CARB letter...good luck on that one.
You're right, but I've been pulled over a lot in the past for legal exhausts. They don't know any better. An aftermarket, louder exhaust is all illegal to them. Plus, they don't carry decibel meters, and claims that your exhaust is carb legal is moot to them. Usually they just tell you to take it up with the court to prove it. The easiest way to get out of them right there was to show them papers. It helped me all the time.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:05 AM
For what you are talking about, you want something to say that your exhaust is not louder than the legal limit. If you live in CA, you should contact CHP and have them measure your db level of your exhaust. (Car in park/neutral reved up to 4500 RPM with a dosimeter to measure sound: max db is 95db) When you pass, they will issue you a 4pg cert stating your exhaust is legal. As for CARB, I tried to get a letter from stillen and the dealership stating CARB is not needed, and they would not write one. hope this helps.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:13 AM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
(Car in park/neutral reved up to 4500 RPM with a dosimeter to measure sound: max db is 95db)
How far should the decimeter be placed away from the exhaust tip? And at what attitude should the decimeter be placed at in relation to the exhaust tip?

Old 09-05-2007, 02:39 AM
For what you are talking about, you want something to say that your exhaust is not louder than the legal limit. If you live in CA, you should contact CHP and have them measure your db level of your exhaust. (Car in park/neutral reved up to 4500 RPM with a dosimeter to measure sound: max db is 95db) When you pass, they will issue you a 4pg cert stating your exhaust is legal. As for CARB, I tried to get a letter from stillen and the dealership stating CARB is not needed, and they would not write one. hope this helps.
What a pain. What happened to the good old days when you can just download all the necessary paperwork off their sites. Now it seems no one is offering anything. I remember Greddy made such a big fuss over how their products were carb legal that they even had a couple of officers hold up a certificate in a pic on their site.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:43 AM
Those where the good ol days.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:01 AM
Those where the good ol days.
http://web.archive.org/web/199812050...xhaustlaw.html

http://web.archive.org/web/199902242...CHPupdate.html

Won't help much as I can't go into their archives, but it shows the effort they once had.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:04 AM
For those of you with an HKS:

http://www.hksusa.com/faq/?ID=1598

Q: I have and HKS exhaust and I wanted to know if it is street legal and is there any documentation?

A: All HKS exhaust systems are engineered to comply with the 95dB noise limit law specified by the California Highway Patrol and the Society of Automotive Engineers - Except ones that are designated for Off-Road Use only.

Each system is individually designed for a specific application and complies with the requirements of Sections 27150, 27151 & 27200 of the California Vehicle Code; and Title 13 of the California code of Regulations, Section 10361, which establishes a noise limit of 95dB(A) for passenger cars. This statement applies to unmodified HKS exhaust systems that are less than 13 months old, are in good condition and which have been properly installed on the specific vehicle for which it was designed.

The age of your exhaust system along with certain engine modifications, such as headers, intake, etc., may also affect its current noise level output.

Please check with your local and state law enforcement agencies for exact regulation requirements.

If you would like documentation on HKS exhausts that meet this criteria, please contact either your local authorized HKS Dealer or our Tech line at 310 491 3300.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Most CHP will consider any aftermarket performance exhaust to be illegal. And to my knowledge, they will not and can not pull out a db meter to legally certify your exhaust (anymore, if they ever did). The only way to do anything is through the state referee, but to go see them, you must have a state ref ticket. Getting the paperwork has to be requested and is an extra $60 on top of the regular state ref fees, and maybe a bit of persuading for those that do go (if they still do that).

As for CARB, a cat-back exhaust system is behind the emissions components (the catalytic converter), so that is why it doesn't have to be CARB approved. Only the aftermarket parts before the cats (intake, headers, etc..) need to be CARB legal with an executive order number (EO number).

But, the law also states that if the exhaust is a single exhaust, it is illegal to make it into a true dual and vice versa. I think the Stillen exhaust gets around this by using an x-pipe. Not sure about the other true dual systems and how or if any of these true duals (Stillen included) will make it past a visual inspection.

And as for the cats, the only legal way to change them out in California is if they were damaged in some way and needed to be replaced. They don't care if the new catalytic converter is CARB approved or not, it is illegal to mess with or swap out a working catalytic converter. And of course, the new cat does have to be CARB approved with an EO number. If you're changing out your cats, any shop dealing with them should have everything properly documented. Same with engine swaps.

Here are some references:
CHP Street Legal
California Vehicle Code
California Air Resources Board's Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

IMO, if you're going to mod your car, it's good to know the law you're dealing with, and I think the OP has the right idea.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
CARB legal certificate.........!

When I read that Stillen had received an OK on their intake I called them with
the correct information.....who I purchased it from and when, Stillen sent me
the Carb certificate.......I keep all my receipts on everything I've done since
buying my G!

Old 10-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The problem with many exhausts is that they are right on the edge of 95 db brand new and as they age the noise goes up. Why CA requires you go to a referee to measure as they are today not as they were wjrn they left the factory.

Just like emissions should be tested annual so should noise making mods.

I am wishing for sound system compliance tests to be added.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
When I read that Stillen had received an OK on their intake I called them with
the correct information.....who I purchased it from and when, Stillen sent me
the Carb certificate.......I keep all my receipts on everything I've done since
buying my G!
Stillen did the same for me with my Stillen intake. Awesome customer service on this case...

I am still upset about them selling DBA rotors with their name on them and jacking up the price. grrr...

Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't that what 95% of US businesses do, buy from foreign supplier rebrand/repackage and mark up. OEM manufacturers rarely sell to retail public.

Made in America usually means the paper box was printed in America from Chinese paperboard.............or worse the drawings on the box were drawn in America and emailed to China for actual printing.

Brake rotors may go thru 3-5 companies before you buy them, even Brembo uses some subcontractors to pour the cast iron into a rough mold.

Take a moment to read this federal indictment about rotors.
http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/iln/pr/chi...r112103_01.pdf

http://hotdocs.usitc.gov/docs/pubs/701_731/pub3528.pdf

By the way the world richest woman became a Billionaire in 5 years by shipping US waste paper/cardboard to China:
http://www.piers.com/newsroom/NYTime...ina16Jan07.pdf

Her companies take heaps of waste paper from the United States and Europe, ship it to China and recycle it
into corrugated cardboard, which is then used for boxes that are packed with toys, electronics and furniture
that is stamped ''Made in China'' and often shipped right back across the ocean to American consumers.

Last edited by Q45tech; 10-10-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Interesting reading. Its amazing what happens that we dont know about. Or things we miss in everyday life.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CARB legal papers for the cops..