Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Many Mods, Mini Me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Many Mods, Mini Me

Been very busy this week. The weather finally warmed up to above freezing and I got around to doing several minor mods that I've been wanting to do for several months. I've been working on a direct replacement drop-in HEPA filter with an activated carbon pre-filter stage, and my supplier just came through. I just installed it 2 days ago for testing and I'll post the details when I get the chance. I modded my side-markers with 'Super Bright' LEDs to blink with the signals. It would have been easier and cheaper to just do the 'cut and tap' mod that others have done, but it looks quite good.

I finally got a chance to do the 9th <font color=blue>GroundingGear™</font color=blue> wire to the ECU for testing as a developed offering.

Yesterday I installed my Pop-Charger that was given to me, and today went for some test runs and timing on my G-Timer. Surprising results that I'll compile later.

Since I have a 2003 G35, I've always wanted an 'accessory socket' on the passenger side like on the 2003.5 and newer, and I finally got a chance to do it. Looks great for about $6!

I'm trying to meet with one of the performance dyno places for final eval of my mods and of course GroundingGear™ effects.

<font color=blue>GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 03-11-2004, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Many Mods, Mini Me

gordgee,

my god, that is a lot of work there. i am a bit interested in what the advantage of the HEPA filter. Please elaborate more. thanks.

g35mt

Old 03-11-2004, 06:39 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Gord, You have been busy.....That filter experiment sounds interesting. Let us know how that goes.
Blinking side markers is cool, but it sounds like it may have been difficult to do.???
I'm interested in the 9th Grounding Wire (to the ECU) -- What are the connection points and how long is that wire? I prolly should check the Grounding Gear resource thread. It's been a while.

Aftermarket intakes are fun, add more power, and noisy too. I like. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Your "G-Timer" -- is it a G-tech pro or another make? It must have shown some improvements in performance with your mods.
Grounding Gear effects at the dyno will be interesting too. I'm looking forward to your write-up on that.

Enjoy the warmer weather--- it was a long time coming. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 03-12-2004, 10:28 AM
IQ9

The HEPA filter sounds good as I have allergies to both places I live. I can't move away from them. Please keep us posted on the progress. I am very interested in the new filter you created. I think I need to get one of your kits the Hyper ground I bought seems to be going to $hit quality wise. The casing is getting burned/melted and where it touches anything. Like the grometts ac hose. Its looks like crap.

03.5 Sedan/B.Sil/Prem/Wntr/Aero/Tint/Rims/Hotchkis Sways--WHRER ARE OUR PARTS!
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 03-12-2004, 12:44 PM
Administrator

The Pop-Charger was interesting. There is a slight psst type whistle on throttle tip-in, and a slight increase in intake noise. Sounds pretty good. I honestly thought it would make a performance difference, and there was. Just not what I expected, which is why I'm always skeptical re perceived gains.
I consistently GAINED a few tenths of a second on every 0-60 run on my G-Timer (Passport)! That was after averaging 7 runs each! Best time (side of road highway take-off for each run) without the P-C was 6.33. Best with the P-C was 6.47. Average with- 6.6. Average without- 6.43! Needless to say, I'm debating whether to go back to the K&N panel filter or not.

I'm almost ready to release the ECU wire as a GroundingGear™ offering. I may be running Dyno next week to quantify gains. I won't be releasing any length nor mounting point info which, historically, along with my install pics, tranny wire, etc. seem to be supplied by the knock-off kits. I've just put too much time and effort into developing the new wires and it wouldn't be fair to the guys supplying me with the R&D feedback as well. I'm hoping everyone understands, and I'll still assist anyone making their own H-G kits with the basic 5 wires we started out with.

The blinking side markers are quite labour intensive. It's easier to do the cut and splice mod to get the binkers to work. Cost is almost zero and just your time is involved.

I have a chart from my supplier re the filtering efficiency of the HEPA filter. I'll post on a separate thread when I get the chance.

Old 03-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Administrator

IQ9:

Your wires shouldn't melt unless it contacts the engine at the exhaust manifold, etc. I know that all the clear (silver or gold coloured) wires will turn brownish after a couple of months, which is why I don't offer them. GroundingGear™ wires are rated to 221 F, but I'm not sure of competitors. They should still work however, even if the casing is melted if they are well constructed, as long as they don't oxidize significantly.

Old 03-12-2004, 01:08 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Pop Charger install doesn't sound too encouraging. BTW - did you do an ECU reset after install? That may have some immediate effect on performance.
I understand about not releasing info on the 9th wire yet. Perhaps after all the leg work is finished and it's ready for production, I'll get you to make me up one. g/l.
Thanks for filling us in on the HEPA filter status when you get a chance to.

<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 03-12-2004, 03:34 PM
IQ9

Please PM me with the cost of one of your kits if you will still sell them to memebers. I'm in Cali but you knew that. I hate the look of the wires-looks like I put them in a toaster. The filter would be really nice. Any help would be great thanks!!

03.5 Sedan/B.Sil/Prem/Wntr/Aero/Tint/Rims/Hotchkis Sways--WHRER ARE OUR PARTS!
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 03-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Administrator

GroundingGear™ is the same base price to forum members as Z-Xtreme's, but ONLY for the 350z and the G35. I PM'd you.

Old 03-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Here's a pic of how my side markers turned out.

209336-Side Marker LEDs (4).JPG

Old 03-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Administrator

For those wanting to see the back circuitry.

209347-Side Marker LEDs (2) copy.jpg

Old 03-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Looks like a battleship model that I built as a kid!

209354-Side Marker LEDs copy.jpg

Old 03-16-2004, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Testing

209356-Side Marker LEDs (5) copy.jpg