Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Installing plenum spacer - torque wrench suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing plenum spacer - torque wrench suggestions?

Mechanically speaking, I can do anything with good directions to follow but don't really do much. Because of this, my toolbox is pretty sparse. Ok...honestly I don't even have a toolbox.

I figured a plenum spacer would be a good DIY mod for me. Finding the random sockets and stuff for the install is simple enough, but I don't have a torque wrench. I've had a real problem finding ones that go very low into the in-lb. range...which this install requires. I know the instructions say you don't NEED a torque wrench, but I'd like to use one to make sure I don't screw up.

I found one at Sears that's 25-250 in-lbs. for $65. I'm willing to buy it if that will get the job done...just wondering if anyone else that's done this mod had any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't use a torque wrench... just gradually tightened each bolt and its adjacent bolt (alternating from 12o'clock, to 6, ten o'clock to 4o'clock, etc.) by hand. I didn't tighten the bolts too much at the end - just enough so they gave enough resistance to stop turning, then gave a little more pressure and stopped. After a few hundred miles (two weeks or so) I went back, and re-tightened the bolts using the same alternating method. Last time I checked they were nice and snug.

Save yourself the $65 and just remember, in this instance, it's safer to go back and tighten them more later, just as long as they're not going to move around and rattle out. Hand tightness plus a bit more pressure to ensure it's tight is fine.

(By "hand tightness" I mean when using a socket wrench)

Old 05-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nappy

I found one at Sears that's 25-250 in-lbs. for $65. I'm willing to buy it if that will get the job done...just wondering if anyone else that's done this mod had any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
That one wouldn't be safe for the installation which requires about 1/2 the lowest it'll go!

I read that if you use a 10mm nut driver (like a screwdriver with a socket on the end), you can tighten it about the right amount with a pair of gloves to help with the leverage. Much safer than feeling for the right amount with a standard socket wrench, especially if you don't do much work yourself to get the feel for it.

You could also try one of the do-it-youself parts stores as they sometimes have loaner programs for tools and may not cost you anything at all!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:34 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
tighten the outside bolts first before you even touch the middle ones.

The ones in the middle you could pretty much just hand tighten them and let them be.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckg35
That one wouldn't be safe for the installation which requires about 1/2 the lowest it'll go!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the torques needed 40, 80, and 100 in-lbs.? Why wouldn't the wrench I mentioned work?

Old 05-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Nappy
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the torques needed 40, 80, and 100 in-lbs.? Why wouldn't the wrench I mentioned work?
it'll work (I have no idea of the quality, if it's Craftsman you should be okay?) - I'm not sure what he meant by his post... but may people use a nut driver - if you tighten by hand as much as you can, and avg guy will be pretty close to 100 in lbs...