Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Gauge Cluster goes awry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge Cluster goes awry

This morning I notice that the speedo, tach in the driver's console will not work in my 5A coupe. The oil pressure and AT check lamp are constantly lit. Turn signals won't activate and console illumination will not dim with head lights. (Other lights will dim).

As far as I can tell motor, tranny, and brakes are operating normally.

Sound like a switch in the steering column.

Anyone... have this issue.

(BTW I have had wiring harness tears in the trunk area from kinking - could it be related or are these wiring looms constructed so cheaply?)

5 hours later .....Now the speedo, tach & turn signals operate but a Service Engine Soon lamp comes on.

Neither Oil pressure or Check AT lamps stay on.

Made appointment at dealer service dept. for Monday. Advisor says not imperative unless Check Engine Soon lamp flashes.

Got home, performed in-vehicle ECU reset procedure, CES lamp doesn't stay lit.

Should I still be worried about the earlier incident with the speedo, tach and signals being out?

I've seen on a non Infiniti forum that the symptom could be indicative of a BAD BATTERY..

Old 05-17-2008, 04:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It happend to me. All gauges were inoperative, and all lights were on. Turned the car off, turned the car on again, everything worked.

Took it in to the dealer...they said there was some sort of problem or short with the cluster....and they ordered some part....came in a week later and they said they fixed it...and then it never happend again. Sorry....don't remember what it was they said was wrong.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks to EvolutionGSR for the heads up. So I guess I'm still headed to the dealer Mon..

Old 05-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Took car to my usual Infiniti Dealer. Of course they could not find an SES fault code and the gauge cluster checked out fine. I had to beg the dealership to cut the $125 labor charge down to $65.

The service advisor tells me he cannot believe the pristine condition the car is in after 54K miles.

Then the service advisor claims the TECHNICIANS (yeah right) suggest an oil change when they posted the sticker that shows it has only been 3800 miles since the last oil change. I have repeatedly told the same service department I follow the Schedule II maintenance. The service manager has repeatedly assured me that there is no benefit to following Schedule I maintenance other than many vehicle owners (or lessees) prefer doing 3,000 mile interval oil changes out of many years of habit. Yeah, and my Dad used to follow 3K oil change intervals in his 1977 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. In 1977.

BMW's service departments never pushed unnecessary service when I would bring in my E36 M3. Stick to the 10 month/ 10K oil service with Petroleum Oil and you will be fine. And the 2nd owner of the car tells me the car is still running like new.

Then the service advisor again states the TECH advises that they change the front right side marker lamp. For $35. To replace a $1 bulb that takes literally consumes 3 minutes time???

BMW would just replace it as a courtesy. So does Mercedes. Heck, when I purchased an OEM BMW (Alpine) trunk mount CD -changer for my E36 M3, the advisor called over a tech to install it for me at no charge. This was back in 1998.

Talk about annoying. Talk about nickel and diming the customers who buy their cars. Likely they are so accustomed to customers leasing and not caring. Talk about pushy and desperate. Infiniti NA has a long way to go to meet BMW in after sales support quality.

Last edited by athens; 05-21-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know...I wouldn't be suprised that they just told me they were ordering a part in so that they get me to come back and they could tell me that the tech recommends this and that to get more sales. After all, the services department is a sales department. When I brought the car in, I was already paying for some other services so I got what I wanted, paid for it.. and came back the next week. I forget if they tried to sell me anything that time...too long ago. I usually decline everything else.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:38 AM
While I was visiting my brother in Phoenix recently, I took in his Passat for an oil change at Walmart. (He bought the car used from a private party a few months back.) The Walmart lube guy apparently lost the fasteners for the belly pan. Needless to say the belly pan was fitted loose and was making noises.

I drive to the nearest VW dealer (which unbeknownst to me would do the oil service for the same price as Walmart). The service department was getting ready to close for the day. Most techs had left already. One of the last remaining technicians took the time to put the car on a lift, replace the missing fasteners and reset the belly pan. He even performed an inspection of the entire chassis and suspension. 35 minutes of his time. And all at no charge. (Of course I gave him something to cover a couple of beers after work.)

When an Infiniti dealer installs private lounge with a home theater and full kitchen with an on-site chef, for their service customers, you expect better than those sale pitches from the service advisors. I don't care if the advisors are paid by commission on all the unnecessary services they sell to customers. They have to consider that the customer might have had a frustrating day compounded by the inconvenience of traveling to and fro the dealership for the service. It's no better than being bothered by a panhandler.

Except that the panhandler might have a disability which prevents him from realizing that he is being rude and disrespectful.

At this rate I should probably befriend some technician at my Infiniti dealership to get some Genuine Infiniti service.