Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

after market pulley: voids warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: after market pulley: voids warranty

Hey bro'
Check out my thread above yours

Infiniti Gearhead

Old 05-03-2004, 01:36 AM

Damn! Sinurgy and I had the same thoughts and posted within two minutes of each other. Great minds?

Still think it's unusual we haven't seen ANY negative posts or reports of catastrophic failures on ANY of the forums.

Thanks for the tip on the changeout. If ever I blow something up the stock piece will remain strangely unaffected (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

03.5 5AT-S (Black-Willow-Premium-Sport-Aero-GroundingGear™-Silverstars-PIAA-PopCharger-Z Tube-Tint-Stillen Dual Exhaust)

Old 05-03-2004, 01:52 AM

i wont tell.................

Infiniti Gearhead

Old 05-03-2004, 05:47 AM

The p/n is 1230931U00. I think I'm going to cancel my order for the bolt and send the pulley back. It's really not worth the risk for me. Such is life...

Self proclaimed member of the 300bhp club (soon to be even more [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img])

Old 05-03-2004, 09:03 AM

I'd be curious to see if this can be backed up with any evidence. Were they UR pulleys? If this happened I'd like to see UR's reaction and I expeect is this is for real that they will have one swiftly. Other mods on these cars may have something to with it but this seeems highly improbable.
Lets see performance nissan has never seen a problem but this guys has seen 2 in one week...hmmmmmmm

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Injen CAI
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk ex-3500 Tweeter Upgrade/Shock Sensor/H-Liner Under Hood
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by SixFive on 05/03/04 06:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 05-03-2004, 09:24 AM

last Nov I had a long chat with Shawn from UR at Stillen's Day. Check out this nice long thread on the pulley issue.

I challenged him to go online and field all of our fears. The forum members kept him honest and we got a lot of good info out of it.

The more you know, the more you know.

Cheers, Ted

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 05-03-2004, 09:25 AM

P.S. from Jason at Performance Nissan:

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

dotn know if it was posted in this thread..

but... our cars do not require a harmonic damper on the pulley.. the OE pulley does not have a harmonic damper on it..

the Crank pulley is the only pulley that makes power.. the accessory pulleys are the same size and about the same weight...

there is no need to worry about putting a crank pulley on the VQ35

<hr></blockquote>

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 05-03-2004, 11:22 AM

Infiniti tech you say you've seen two engines go? What went? This will be the end of all pulleys for the VQ as we know it if any internal parts had to be replaced? What was replaced?

14.2 @ 97.18
Injen CAI
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley

Old 05-03-2004, 01:21 PM

I returned mine and decided to go with NOS.

B. Silver| Loaded to the "Brim"| 20" Iforged Rims - Flux| Pop-Charger | Z-Tube | Nismo Cosmetics | GroundGear Equipped | Borla TD | "Custom" Stereo - JL/Focal/Eclipse

Old 05-03-2004, 01:58 PM

OK lets be objective for a second. Even the guys who say the pulleys are just bad will i bet never say one good thing about nitrous. Not really knowing I'd guess that you have a much better change of screwing your VQ with No2 than with a pulley.

14.2 @ 97.18
Injen CAI
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley

Old 05-03-2004, 02:11 PM

Ya know what bro', you constantly argue with things I say and tell me to prove it. And on and on. I am here to just lay information out there for fellow G35 drivers. I dont bash on any products just relay knowledgable information relating to it. I am not going to go into detail or dig up repair orders for your own satisfaction. You do a lot of talking, and in the end, "The people that talk the most know the least". I amnot saying anything good nor bad about anybodies pulleys. I am just telling what I have seen and worked as a result. Take it for that and stop acting like a know it all. Especially with your remarks. I amnot discouraging anybody from doing anything, just providing information. Take it for what is worth to you and move on

Infiniti Gearhead

Old 05-03-2004, 03:36 PM

Ya know what bro - I call em like I see em. Nothing you've stated is backed up from the grounding wires to the pulleys. Yet you've suggested they are both waste and that the sellers are somehow evil for peddling prouduct on a site you visit!>? That's what I call bashing.

The first comment you ever made about pulleys was a flamer response to my sig during an argument about ground wires. Remember the discussion where you hammered the guys who sells them and also moderate this site and I wasn't letting it slide....you've offered little to that discussion other than your unproven thoery and I am suggesting the same is going on here. If you've seen a engine go kaput from an underdrive pulley then it wouldn't really take a database search to remember the internals that were replaced would it?

I may know way less than 99% of this site, but I know when I smell BS and I am calling you on it. Like I said if this is real UR will have a reaction if they were the ones involved. IF you were at all interested in helping this site you would offer the vendors name such that the site members would avoid thier products.

I am not here to protect the other members but some might just benefit from seeing both sides of your story. 2 blown engines from underweight pulleys would be a huge breakthrough informationally here and so this information SHOULD be vetted. I do alot of talking - about reality and ask alot of questions about the unknown or theory. Some are helpful in repsonse and some are not.

14.2 @ 97.18
Injen CAI
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley

Old 05-03-2004, 03:57 PM

WOW, I am full of BS huh. Good thing I dont really care what you think. I guess working on these cars the 13 out of the 14 years they have been around dont matter either huh. The people who's cars I have worked on, on this site, know different. You just sound like a bench racer to me. Do whatever you want to your car, doesnt matter to me at all.

Infiniti Gearhead

Old 05-03-2004, 04:11 PM

Doesn't take too much to figure that something that spins that much for that long is a precision component of your vehicle. To me, it's a simple matter of risk/reward. It's only 5 HP. The cost is moderate. The risk is very large. In the stock market this is like playing a stock "short". There's just too much to possibly lose.

Infiniti Tech has presented some good reasoning and has actually proven his skills to a couple of members here. He's no joke, no troll, and couldn't possibly have some hidden agenda to try to make everyone's cars slow. On the other hand, everyone that's saying it is safe is either selling it, or already owns one and wants to justify their purchase. It may very well be safe. I'm sure for the most part it will do no harm. But the chances of it messing something up are greater than if you touched nothing. Even if it's only 1% greater chance, that's too much for me. I happen to believe him, and even if I didn't my tolerance for risk/reward vs cost of mod would keep me from this mod anyway. I'm not messing with moving parts that are directly connected to a precision engineered machine.

Just because you don't agree with Infiniti Tech doesn't mean you need to get upset or cry shenanigans, just because you have this mod and don't like someone saying it's bad. If you don't believe him, leave your pulley on, or call him a liar and move on. No skin off his back I'm sure.

Infiniti Tech, I have a feeling your skin is thick and I hope this doesn't discourage further posts. I'ts nice hearing from actual techs and engineers rather than butt dyno testimonials we see so often. Keep it up.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but chin spoiler/Z Tube-Popcharger/Crawford V5 Plenum on the way

Old 05-03-2004, 04:37 PM

Thanks Bro'
And you made a good point in your thread. I am not here to make peoples cars slower. I am just providing information I have found in our own shop. You people out there are old enough to make up your own minds. I appreciate the backing man, and ofcourse I will stay on this site and do whatever I can. I am in the making of purchasing A G35X, got rid of my 03 sedan. And by the way all, I just got the new Asist(Infiniti service manual and update program) and there are no new TCM or ECM reprograms for the 2003......Someone said before they heard of a new one. ......Thanks again Catafish.....Oh by the way Sixfoot, if I am all BS, how come I just got a guy on this site a killer deal on an aero kit for his 2003.....That is why I am here.

Infiniti Gearhead

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: after market pulley: voids warranty