Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

after market pulley: voids warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after market pulley: voids warranty

talked to dealer and they're telling me that any after market install wil void the warranty... can anyone shed some light on this..danm!!!

Old 04-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Re: after market pulley: voids warranty

They lie!

Read this:

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

This was inacted to protect a consumers warrenty rights when modding a vehicle.

The dealership are all evil a$$holes if they try to duck under this. Just pressure them. But no of that even matters unless something goes wrong.

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Volk GT-7's/ TEIN Basics
Falken 245/35/ZR19 & 285/35ZR19
Kinetix Racing Camber Rods/ K&N Typhoon CAI

Old 04-21-2004, 10:09 AM

A warranty cannot be voided summarily. For instance, if you installed a pulley, and your taillight fell off, why wouldn't the tail light be covered? It would. However, if you installed a pulley, and threw a rod, good luck.

Theoretically, the burden is on the dealer to show that the damage was caused by your actions, thereby denying reiumbursement for the repair. Practically, is a different matter. Be nice to your dealer, they have more lawyers than you do. I'm bringing my service advisor the roof rack that went on my trade in. I'm GIVING it to him so he can give it to his daughter who bought my trade. Be creative and get your service advisor to like you.

Nissan provides the dealers with reiumbursement allowances. Nissan defines how long a repair will take. Sometimes they over estimate. Sometimes they under estimate. If I'm an Infiniti dealer, guess which times I'll want to "not honor the warranty"?

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but chin spoiler/Z Tube-Popcharger

Old 05-02-2004, 01:12 PM

Okay lets be realistic here. Your right, if you install a pulley and your bumper falls off, obviously the two have nothing to do with each other. If you install a pulley and you get crank knocking issues 5000 miles later, kiss your warranty goodbye. The pulleys will void any engine warranty to most dealers. There are things you can do to get it to slide by if your lucky. I have wrenched on Infinitits for 13 years, and have seen every trick possible come my way. Being mod friendly, I would suggest trying to cover it up somehow....Besides I have already seen the damage from these pulleys, they cause excessive vibration on the crank and have seen two engines go as a result...Just to FYI you.

Infiniti Wrench

Old 05-02-2004, 01:24 PM

InfinitiTech, What types of cars were they and how many miles did they have at the time of failure? Thanks...

Self proclaimed member of the 300bhp club (soon to be even more [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img])

Old 05-02-2004, 01:29 PM

I would say if u are trying to make your G35 a super racing machine (if you are you bought the wrong car) installing pulleys and all this stupid [censored] you should just accept the fact that whatever you put on if it messes up the car you should be responsible for it.

In my dealings with Nissan they are complete *******s and will go to ANY length to make sure they don't lose 1 dollar. I gave Nissan 12+ repair attempts to fix a leak in my Maxima, they STILL couldnt fix it and would not accept the fact that it was a lemon and we had to take it to arbitration and eventually won.

Old 05-02-2004, 04:59 PM

The reason why I'm asking is that I've done a decent amount of research on my350z.com and freshalloy.com about the pulley mod. Everyone only has positive things to say about it. Well I just bought one, have it in my trunk... I'm waiting for a new crank bolt to arrive on Tuesday, and next weekend will be doing the install.

The main reason I chose NA mods over FI, was to try to not do things that would void the stock warranty. If I keep the car UNDER 330 bhp, the tranny should be fine (it's used on another Infinity with 330bhp right?).

I also have read that the VQ is harmonically, internally balanced. If this is the case, the balance "should not" be thrown off by adding a crank pulley (as long as the pulley is symmetrical about its rotational axis, right???)

Infinititech, if you have any valid input please respond to this post. I can always send the pulley back, since 5hp is NOT worth needing a new engine in a few years. Thanks again for your remarks...

Self proclaimed member of the 300bhp club (soon to be even more [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img])

Old 05-02-2004, 05:04 PM

They were 2003 G35's with 30,000 miles on them......They were in last week......

Infiniti Wrench

Old 05-02-2004, 05:07 PM

Its the information they dont tell you is what you should be concerned with. The crank is balanced with the pulley on, you change the pulley and you have changed the balance. Plus the original is designed to absorb vibration for a smoother idle. The aftermarket is not

Infiniti Wrench

Old 05-02-2004, 06:10 PM

Were these 2 people left with a bill for a new engine? What type of damage occurred?

Thanks for this dialogue, I think I'll be sending my pulley back on Monday morning. Time to try out Performance Nissan's return policy I guess.

Old 05-02-2004, 06:20 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I understand from a few sources, the crank is balanced internally, not with the pulley.

Neffster, I need the p/n for the pulley bolt you bought. I've also got a pulley on the way but not the bolt. TNX.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 05-02-2004, 07:00 PM

Send it back Neff. It's not worth 5 hp. You're tangling with something that is very critical for the engine to operate, that spins alot, and very fast. It would probably never fail, but for 5 HP, why would you risk it? IMHO, the risk/reward benefit just isn't there. Why play slots when you can play blackjack?

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but chin spoiler/Z Tube-Popcharger/Crawford V5 Plenum on the way

Old 05-03-2004, 12:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm by no means an expert but I do find it strange that no one in these forums has ever had a bad experience with Unorthodox pulleys. I've read tons of positive feedback from people who have then installed (not just G35/350z either) but never anything negative from someone who has them installed. Now that certainly doesn't prove anything but you'd sure think if these things had engine blowing potential, they'd have a far worse reputation among car enthusiasts. Just my two cents!

R.I.P. Pat Tillman 1976 - 2004

Old 05-03-2004, 01:09 AM

Well if you can keep a secret I will tell you. One guy I looked at his car and saw he had changed his pulley, and put the stock one back one when he brought his car in, warranty sprung for a long block. The other guy actually left his pulley on when he brought his car into the shop, somebody else looked at it, and he had to pay the bill.

Infiniti Wrench

Old 05-03-2004, 01:11 AM

This is not what I want to hear with my pulley due to arrive this week. Scary stuff. It certainly is not worth it for the small HP/torque gain if the engine is gonna go south within 30,000 miles.

Strange I have not seen any members on the various forums mention any problems. You 'd think that audience would have a high probablility of frequenting the performance sites and we'd see some evidence of these problems. Nothing but glowing reviews though.

InfinitiTech: if you can provide any additional background on the nature of the problems with the two cars you mentioned it would be helpful. Could be as simple as improper installation or...

03.5 5AT-S (Black-Willow-Premium-Sport-Aero-GroundingGear™-Silverstars-PIAA-PopCharger-Z Tube-Tint-Stillen Dual Exhaust)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: after market pulley: voids warranty