Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Belt noise on used car bought on Saturday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belt noise on used car bought on Saturday

I walk to my car with a happy face on this quiet and sunny Wednesday morning thinking, what a great day. I get in my car, start the engine and what do I hear coming from the engine bay? A belt screeching sound coming from the engine. It was a steady sound but wasn't extremely loud, yet definitely noisy and noticable enough for me to question, wtf is wrong with the car???

The sound was coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. Does anyone know what belt is situated there?

You guys think the dealership will charge me to have the belt replaced after having bought the car? Man, this is bothering me and will throughout the day now...

Let me know what you guys think.

Rich

Last edited by sizzo718; 07-02-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Every used car needs something and I advise buyers to reserve $3,000 MINIMUM to fix the wear and tear and abuse the previous owners and their shade tree mechanics caused.

All rubber hoses, belts, shocks, rubber bushings in suspension and brakes are wear items.

Many owners are not expert and don't get the full measure of oem warranty.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:50 AM
just a sedan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the belt is just loose, tighten it

Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
Every used car needs something and I advise buyers to reserve $3,000 MINIMUM to fix the wear and tear and abuse the previous owners and their shade tree mechanics caused.

All rubber hoses, belts, shocks, rubber bushings in suspension and brakes are wear items.

Many owners are not expert and don't get the full measure of oem warranty.
Thanks for the response. Would you agree with the last post that the belt may just be loose?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
You must provide model, year and mileage and location [state] to even begin to guess as to belt wear and tear. A series of pictures of all belt surfaces would be better.

Why it is so difficult to diagnose over Net, especially when owners are clueless.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
You must provide model, year and mileage and location [state] to even begin to guess as to belt wear and tear. A series of pictures of all belt surfaces would be better.

Why it is so difficult to diagnose over Net, especially when owners are clueless.
Car is a G35x, 2006 with 42k and was driven in CT. I'll posts some pics either later today or tomorrow.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by sizzo718
I walk to my car with a happy face on this quiet and sunny Wednesday morning thinking, what a great day. I get in my car, start the engine and what do I hear coming from the engine bay? A belt screeching sound coming from the engine. It was a steady sound but wasn't extremely loud, yet definitely noisy and noticable enough for me to question, wtf is wrong with the car???

The sound was coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. Does anyone know what belt is situated there?

You guys think the dealership will charge me to have the belt replaced after having bought the car? Man, this is bothering me and will throughout the day now...

Let me know what you guys think.

Rich
Sizzo, a couple of suggestions...

Start it when its cold... if the belts screech... let it go for about 30 seconds or so... don't rev engine to try and stop it... turn off engine... and what I usually do is feel all the belts... with only 30 seconds of on time... the only belt that is "hot/warm" to feel would be the culprit belt. (use caution where your hand is at because fans are electric... though if this is your first start of the day and its only been on for 30 seconds... unless fan is defective or defective circuit... you shouldn't worry about fans coming on... but I just need to throw that out there... to be careful with your hands in the engine bay with engine on or off... the possibility is always there)

If you just bought the car from the dealer though... I am sure they would be more than happy to "adjust" it for you free of charge... even a small junk lot dealer would offer that to keep a new customer happy.

Go back and ask.... never hurts to ask ...

Hope that helps!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by FiveSeven SS190
Sizzo, a couple of suggestions...

Start it when its cold... if the belts screech... let it go for about 30 seconds or so... don't rev engine to try and stop it... turn off engine... and what I usually do is feel all the belts... with only 30 seconds of on time... the only belt that is "hot/warm" to feel would be the culprit belt. (use caution where your hand is at because fans are electric... though if this is your first start of the day and its only been on for 30 seconds... unless fan is defective or defective circuit... you shouldn't worry about fans coming on... but I just need to throw that out there... to be careful with your hands in the engine bay with engine on or off... the possibility is always there)

If you just bought the car from the dealer though... I am sure they would be more than happy to "adjust" it for you free of charge... even a small junk lot dealer would offer that to keep a new customer happy.

Go back and ask.... never hurts to ask ...

Hope that helps!
FiveSeven, thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll be sure to give those a try. I'm hoping a reputable company such as Infiniti would go out of their way to make simple adjustments, otherwise this customer will be quite unhappy. Again, I appreciate your recommendations .

Old 07-02-2008, 06:05 PM
You're quite welcome! That's what we're all here for!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:32 AM
AMEN to that

Old 07-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Belts may last 20k-40k depending on local weather conditions and driving style.

I recommend 2 year replacement interval to avoid problems.

PREVENTATIVE REPAIRS means changing parts BEFORE they begin to cause problems.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Fixed the belt noise?