Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

G35 VS WRX RACE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 VS WRX RACE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN?

"i raced my friends stock wrx and he ran 15.8. and i saw an STi running 15 flat aroudn that range. my friend said when he starts off the line his RPMs drop and has to start over. i wonder why that happens. i ran pretty good 14.6 for a stock coupe."

Your friend doesn't know how to race. He needs to rev his engine enough to get some wheel spin and then he won't bog his engine everytime he launches

Old 08-29-2004, 02:20 PM

When you go to dyno your car, take along your stock air box. The Injen CAI will make your dyno read low because it does not benefit from receiving air from the fan while dynoing. Keep in mind that your intake is now behind the front bumper and yields poor dyno results. Whether it really gives any gain at all is up for discussion, my opinion is it doesn't. If you add the Z-tube and P/C you'll have an intake that benefits from fan air and will show bigger gains. The stock air box was designed by engineers who know what they're doing and works better than most/all aftermarket set ups for a reason. If Injen spent 1/10 as much money designing the CAI as Nissan spent on the stock set up I'd be really surprised.

If you still have doubts, check the CA dyno day or the Central FL dyno day. Injen intakes, in both scenarios, performed below the stock set ups.

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Old 08-29-2004, 03:54 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea a 15 flat in an Sti ?!?!?! Hes the worlds worst driver, sorry to say. Sti's are still eating me up even with stuff done to my car, but on the highway i can hold off a 1 to 2 carl gap between me and my friends sti, then as soon as he hits 4th he just PULLS!! And against a regular WRX, the 0-60 doesnt matter, those stock WRX non Sti engine literally "die out" after like 80, the G catches up and passes with ease, not an sti though they are amazing cars!!

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
0-60 5.4 - 1/4 Mile 14.16 *GTech* and on 19's!!

Old 08-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I raced my friend's STI from a rolling start.....I took the lead at the beginning, then once his turbos kicked in it was over.... I was basically a car length behind him

Good luck dude

'04 Laser Red 6MT
piaas all around (clearance, reverse, dome, door, and fogs)
AVH-P7500DVD / Basslink
Z tube / K&N / Greddy Evo 2
Hotchkis Sways
Side Blinker Mod

Old 08-30-2004, 12:26 AM

I raced a couple of my Friends rex's one has some minot mods like intake , exhaust and from 0-60 he kills me because he is a manual and i'm a 5AT . however on the free way we are pretty much the same I'd be like half a car length ahead untill about 100 then I pull hard. Then my other friends rex has a chip and that is pretty much the only mod I know that he has it takes off his speed limiter and we are dead even till about 115 then I pull hard . So i guess it depends on who's racing I can't launch in my at and I have no power mods only the extra weight of a audio system.

2004 Skyline 350GT 5AT DG/G Clears,Bats, Now wit Bumps in da back! [img]/w3timages/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2004, 01:00 PM

I second what BigmikeOC said. I also traded my rex in for a G and I don't ever expect to get the G going as fast as my rex. It's all about the mods. I ran 8.5s at the 1/8th mile drag strip where I live, probably would have done low 13s on a 1/4. The problem is this, if you find a guy at a track in even a plain WRX he's probably at least put on a $45 manual boost controller for 30hp and freed up the exhaust for atleast another 20hp. I replaced the ecu and ditched the cats for relativley little money and dynoed an extra 70 hp+. For the same cash I can get another 15 maybe 20hp out of the G. Plus guys are much more likely to hack up a subaru than an Infiniti. So I guess if you're a good driver stock vs stock the G has a real chance. But good luck finding a WRX who wants to race and is anywhere close to stock.

Old 09-04-2004, 05:26 AM

regular wrxs top end is shitty, my friend has the Utech computer, turbo back exhuast, 4 inch downpipe on it, up-pipe, Intake, and i believe thats it and from a roll ANY roll i will pull AS SOON as i hit 4th gear and he goes to 5th. Before than i edge him a little each time he shifts. He is a few grand deep into his car. I got my G when he had this done and he would always stay ahead of me when i was stock though, $750 dollars later, thank you kinetix at 110 i have him by 1-2 cars. Stock STI from rolls same thing it seems when they shift i gain the littlest bit, up top we are comparable. I raced a sti with my that same utec computer and just a downpipe and he walked by me fairly good up top, id say about 2-3 cars , i was impressed. I never race them off the line, nor do i race any other cars off the line becuase it takes away from seeing whos car really has more power. Off the stop a stock wrx will still lose, i promise you that, little mods yea off the line hes out, but he can have about 5 of those before stripping his first gear. My boy ran a 13.7 with his mods before he blew his tranny at the track with 2,000 miles, No warranty and 3800 dollars later hes back at it, never racing of the line, lol. Ill take my G any day over the regular wrx. STI is a whole other story, tranny, motor, everything is different (better).

2003 Laser Red 6 spd coupe
Stillen Intake w\ Z tube
Kinetix HF Cats & Plenum
U/R Crank pulley
w\ nav...

Old 09-04-2004, 07:08 PM

Sounds like we're comparing apples and oranges. You're right, racing from a roll is a better indicator of power, but the drag strip I race at doesn't let us do that. The strength of the wrx comes from AWD and even on 1/4 mile tracks the race is over before 5th gear or 103 mph so I guess there's really no way I could have judged the two cars the way you are. That being said around here plain wrx's run 1/8th mile in 8.5 and 1/4 in 13.3, with just the boost turned up to 16.5 psi and free exhaust. I just don't think I can put up those numbers on my G without a super chager or a bottle. And while I agree the STI is a much better machine, the plain wrx only seems to have problems burning up clutches and I never even had that problem in the two seasons I raced. But you're right, going from a roll to 130 the G I'm sure is faster, and it's a valid way to judge a car, just not the way I do it.

Old 09-05-2004, 03:13 PM

funny this thread came up again...i just ran against a modded WRX on the highway (late night, no cars but us)...i did it just to see how fast his car was, and honestly, he handed me an ***-whooping and a half...he toyed with my emotions the whole time then floored it and just bounced like i wasnt even on the gas...i had to double check that i had it floored, cos it seemed like i wasnt even moving, lol! ahh, $5K more til i can change that =( nice guy tho, had to give him the thumbs up for such a fast modded WRX, and he gave me the thumbs up for a clean looking car.

04 DG/G/6MT/Premium/Nav/Clear Bra
Bone Stock...to be continued...
"You kill mah brodah, now I kill you!" - some old kung-fu flick

Old 09-07-2004, 09:16 AM

LOL wow "Hopes and Dreams" as they say, a stock Wrx yes it's a drivers race if from a roll. As far as from a dig your going to lose. I see someone threw Sti in there, lol that's funny. By the way I own both a Sti and a g35x, I haved played with Z's and the results were extremly dissapointing for the Z's......EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTING! The G is a good compromise for what it is but not a true sports car!

"You need more power since I granny shifted instead of double pumping!"

Old 12-03-2004, 01:49 PM
i run 14.1 stock w/ no traction (2.2 60ft) and raced my friend with a Rex. he ran 13.9 with just exhaust, and an ok 1.9 60ft. a good driver in the Rex will beat a stock G and from a roll it would be closer due to the power loss of the awd. but from a dig its all over!!

Old 12-03-2004, 03:15 PM
i raced my buddys wrx from 30 up in my g35 coupe and as soon as i hit 4th I started pulling he just has catback on his car. 5 speed wrx also

Old 12-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by cowmata
i raced my friends stock wrx and he ran 15.8. and i saw an STi running 15 flat aroudn that range.
my friend was running 13.2's all day in his stock STi, and 13.0 after a downpipe... my friends drive better then your friends j/p i'm assuming your not at sea level

Old 12-06-2004, 01:47 AM
From a roll, you'll beat stock and slightly modded wrx's. Had experiences with someone that had intake, exhaust, and ecu and I still walked away from him. Now from a stop, it all depends on the wrx's launch.