Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Is racing Fuel Good or Bad for our G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2008 | 03:09 PM
I have a GCC version G35 (Gulf Countries) in UAE, and the minimal Octaine we can get here is 95, but I am using 98. I used to live in the States where I was always amazed at the low octaine fuel. In Europe, its much the same as here, 95 and 98.

Now since my car was made for GCC, I hope 98 is okay for it, as we cannot get anything lower here than 95.

Ben

Old 08-12-2008 | 03:11 PM
Octane booster increases performance. I've tried it. But it's just temporary (1 tank of gas).

In fact, screw all of our opinions, lol. Here is a good reference from a VERY respectable mag...:

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0...ted/index.html

Old 08-12-2008 | 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by bence8810
I have a GCC version G35 (Gulf Countries) in UAE, and the minimal Octaine we can get here is 95, but I am using 98. I used to live in the States where I was always amazed at the low octaine fuel. In Europe, its much the same as here, 95 and 98.

Now since my car was made for GCC, I hope 98 is okay for it, as we cannot get anything lower here than 95.

Ben
Now with THAT said...unless the GCC spec G35 has different technology under the hood, this disproves anyone that says that the G35 wont run optimum over 91 gas. I use 93, personally and it feels good to me. I doubt that Nissan would set up all the good folks over seas to FAIL, lol.

Thanks Ben.

Old 08-12-2008 | 03:36 PM

Ben

I may be wrong, but i think US has a different standards of rating gas, like in japan they also have "higher of a octane rating", but in reailty is closer to our 91-93. The US's rating is different than that of other nations or so i hear.

Edit: Here, read the section on Regional Variations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

To the magazine article:

They touch on detonation, and how power is made with higher octane, what they fail to tell you is you wont make more power, in fact make less with higher octane gas as you arent using it to its full potential. You run more lean to get more power in all motor and Turbo. In order to make the best use out of higher octane gas you need to tune your car to run more lean, and more agressive timing to get more power, on normal 93 that will make you blow your motor, but say race gas, your motor can withstand detonating(blowing up) due to the higher compression. But if you throw in higher octane gas on a stock motor, with stock computer, it is going to if anything cost you less power, but better gas mileage as the car is burning the gas slower.

Understand? Hope this makes sense.. and they touch on toulene in this which many octane boosters use to raise octane. Go to a piant shop and ask for toulene lol that will raise your octane, and cost you a little less than the over the counter octane booster(actually go do some research if you do do this, as there is a measurement of how much toulene should be added compared to how much gas you have to give you a certain rating on octane lol, do research! ).

Old 08-12-2008 | 06:05 PM
|
+111111111

Old 08-12-2008 | 06:06 PM
|
+1111111111

Originally Posted by wyldfyer
Its funny how people would rather poke fun then lend valuable info. I didnt realize that so many nerds drove such a hot car...weird, LOL.

Honestly, maybe you should just put Super in there and mix it with 100 or try an Octane booster.

The higher the Octane rating, the faster the gas will ignite which in general is good. However if it ignites too fast or at the wrong part of your engine cycle, you'll get potential knocking and your car will perform badly...or worse!

If you want to run that other stuff, you have to increase your compression ratio. Octane rating has a direct correlation to compression ratio. Thats why we have to use Super (even though you can get away with plus...maybe..but I wouldnt).

+1111111111111

Old 08-12-2008 | 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by wyldfyer
Now with THAT said...unless the GCC spec G35 has different technology under the hood, this disproves anyone that says that the G35 wont run optimum over 91 gas. I use 93, personally and it feels good to me. I doubt that Nissan would set up all the good folks over seas to FAIL, lol.

Thanks Ben.
Yeah Thanks...
Now if you go study a little and find out that the 98-100 octane over seas is the same as the 91-93 here; you will see it's just measured differently...

Like Nissan says, use Premium Fuel for US spec VQ... That's usually 91-93 here, sometimes 95-100 but rarely in most states. You will get little gains by running very high octane fuel... But do whatever, it's your $, just beware of the adverse affects in the long term.

Old 08-12-2008 | 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by htownboy
Yeah Thanks...
Now if you go study a little and find out that the 98-100 octane over seas is the same as the 91-93 here; you will see it's just measured differently...
Thats not true sir. Basically the US Octane rating is the AVERAGE of 2 ratings. Its never as much as 7 or 8 points lower than the European rating. Its more like 4 points lower. But its just a CONVERSION, not a difference in how its calculated like some people are stating. Its like the difference between degrees C and degrees F. So even if someone has Octane of over a 100 overseas, thats STILL a higher Octane than US gas as it is the equivalent of 95-96 Octane...US

Old 08-12-2008 | 11:43 PM
Save the money and put 91/93 octane in your car. Then, with all that saved money, donate it to Sbeck's front camber kit fund. It's a not for tire wear organization!!!

Old 08-13-2008 | 12:11 AM

Old 08-13-2008 | 12:54 AM
^ I would not run 87...

Old 08-13-2008 | 12:59 AM
From the Above Mentioned Wiki:

It should be noted that this higher rating seen in Europe is an artifact of a different underlying measuring procedure. In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and deliver 98 (RON), 99 or 100 (RON) labeled as Super Unleaded.
Its true that I did not know about the Differences in terms of the measure, but in EU its still much higher.

And I assume the GCC would be the same.

This of course makes a point only if the GCC car has the same tuning as the US version. If thats the case, then you can go ahead with higher fuel. Even if you put 100, thats like 98 here or so.

But of course the 100 is so way overpriced in the US, that I would just stick to the 93.

Ben

Old 08-13-2008 | 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by silver g
^ I would not run 87...
Amen!

Old 08-13-2008 | 01:49 AM
From the Above Mentioned Wiki:

Its true that I did not know about the Differences in terms of the measure, but in EU its still much higher.

And I assume the GCC would be the same.

This of course makes a point only if the GCC car has the same tuning as the US version. If thats the case, then you can go ahead with higher fuel. Even if you put 100, thats like 98 here or so.

But of course the 100 is so way overpriced in the US, that I would just stick to the 93.

Ben
I'm not gonna' get into a research\present confrontation here and I'm just going by some things I remember reading about fuel ratings elsewhere in the world... I will defiantly bet that the higher octane still will not produce great results on a stock G and will still surely do damage if the wrong method is used to get the high octane over a period of time.

And your dang right 100 octane is way overpriced here... 93 will do just fine for NA.

Old 08-13-2008 | 09:44 AM
Don't bother with race gas without a tune and using it at all times. If without a tune and just once in a while you'll confuse (not the best word) the ECU. It will just be getting the tune right for the race gas when ya switch back to normal and it has to relearn anything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is racing Fuel Good or Bad for our G35