Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Is racing Fuel Good or Bad for our G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2009 | 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by Wbartell
90% of you seem to be basing your opinoins on personal experience rather then theory. Here are the facts, well as factual as Wikipedia can be.

"Many high-performance engines are designed to operate with a high maximum compression and thus demand high-octane premium gasoline. A common misconception is that power output or fuel mileage can be improved by burning higher octane fuel than a particular engine was designed for. The power output of an engine depends in part on the energy density of its fuel, but similar fuels with different octane ratings have similar density. Since switching to a higher octane fuel does not add any more hydrocarbon content or oxygen, the engine cannot produce more power."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
I made an extra 20hp on a 100 octane map over my regular 91 octane map (91 is the highest we get here), but only about 5hp gain with 100 octane on a 91 map... But I guess according to you, Wikipedia, and all the other scientists here, the dyno lied...

Old 02-25-2009 | 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Wbartell
90% of you seem to be basing your opinoins on personal experience rather then theory. Here are the facts, well as factual as Wikipedia can be.

"Many high-performance engines are designed to operate with a high maximum compression and thus demand high-octane premium gasoline. A common misconception is that power output or fuel mileage can be improved by burning higher octane fuel than a particular engine was designed for. The power output of an engine depends in part on the energy density of its fuel, but similar fuels with different octane ratings have similar density. Since switching to a higher octane fuel does not add any more hydrocarbon content or oxygen, the engine cannot produce more power."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
Those of us with “personal” experience and not “theory” are the ones that should be addressing the issue… none of us said anything about stock tuned ECU – your reference is based on OEM design (including ecu parameters).

Those of us with “personal” experience and not “theory” are the ones that should be addressing the issue… none of us said anything about stock tuned ECU – your reference is based on OEM design (including ecu parameters).

Race Fuel is not only about octane - the fuel I mentioned is oxyenated.

Before telling someone their engine cant produce more power with race fuel - why not do what many of us have... dyno tune on 89 or 91 run it dry - add the race fuel I am referencing and re-tune... then post the gains you see on the dyno.

Old 02-25-2009 | 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35

Race Fuel is not only about octane - the fuel I mentioned is oxyenated.

Before telling someone their engine cant produce more power with race fuel - why not do what many of us have... dyno tune on 89 or 91 run it dry - add the race fuel I am referencing and re-tune... then post the gains you see on the dyno.
You can dyno tune to your heart's desire, but your tune really can't compensate for conditions the day you run at the strip. That's when it requires racers experience and an understanding of density altitude. Depending on conditions, your car may or may not require a higher octane fuel. Dyno tuning is great, but it's not the end all to extracting the most power from your car. Yes, your car could have made more power with the 91 tune, 91+ tune, etc., but the tuning was done to the conditions of that day. You know as well as I that the ECUs in these cars are pretty finicky when it comes to conditions.

Old 02-25-2009 | 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
You can dyno tune to your heart's desire, but your tune really can't compensate for conditions the day you run at the strip.
Agreed. Your car can make more or less power depending on the conditions. But even still, a gain on the dyno is still a gain that'll carry out to the tracks.